Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
bogman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default Are RIM going downhill?

Please Login to Remove!

I've been a loyal Blackberry owner for about 3 years now (8300 -> 8120 -> 8110 -> 9000). I moved from Palm via Windows Mobile. The thing that attraced me to Blackberry's was the rock solid software. Although it didn't do everything my Windows Mobile devices did, the things it did do just worked, performance was good and it NEVER crashed.

However, while we're no where near Windows Mobile territory, I do see some worrying signs with the Bold:
- Despite being released during the middle of last year, users are still getting reboots with the latest upgrades.
- The latest official OS (216) has some really basic errors in the media player (volume changing between tracks and problems with non RIM headphones).
- The latest beta OS (228) can't even play video properly (I know it hasn't been released, but still!)
- Live search still doesn't work
...these are just the ones I can think of - this board has many more.

I know none of this is the end of the world, but it does seem to be a worrying trend from RIM - and certainly not what we've been used to in the past. I don't think any of my previous B'Berry's ever rebooted themselves and I have an old 8800 as my work B'berry which is also rock solid?

Are RIM skimping on their testing? Is the OS and all the associated functionality just becoming too complex and a bit unmanageable? are they rushing out devices to compete with Apple before they're quite ready?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I've never had my Bold reboot on me.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Nor me.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit

Also OP, notice you are on o2. Someone at my company has an o2 Bold, no problems there either...
Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
bogman

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Haven't even done a search - have just glance through the first page of this forum:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...rebooting.html
Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Abs

Model: 8800
Carrier: blackberry

Hi, If you are with Orange than you need to call orange and get the device replace as i had my device repalce as well.
I was getting the same problem as you are. It's some thing to do with Orange software
Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs View Post
Hi, If you are with Orange than you need to call orange and get the device replace as i had my device repalce as well.
I was getting the same problem as you are. It's some thing to do with Orange software
His profile says he is with O2.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: T of Ale, Please!

I couldn't get BB Maps to work with my Bold and I called tech support and they sent me new "Service Books", whatever that means. It is like getting a service pack or something - anyway, it fixed my problems. You should try that.

Last edited by michaelalanjones; 02-04-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
I couldn't get BB Maps to work with my Bold and I called tech support and they sent me new "Service Books", whatever that means. It is like getting a service pack or something - anyway, it fixed my problems. You should try that.
This will not fix a rebooting device.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
nick.dollimount

PIN: 216DF034
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
I've never posted a mean comment and I really don't mean any harm with this comment either... I just think it's funny when I noticed you've updated your OS to the latest beta (.228).... but you don't know what a service book is =P Again, not meaning any harm with this comment; it just seems like driving a car before learning how? lol It just made me giggle, that's all
Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
Serkle K

Model: 9800
PIN: ... --- ...

Quote:
IIRC service books are a type of provision that allows you to use the service on the RIM side of you network. My explanation may be a bit off, so I hope a more expierenced BB addict or mod could chime in.

This is my first BB, and from what I've read, I would almost have to dissagree with you to an extent... I also came from a WinMo device, and while I've never had it crash on me (my BB has never "crashed" on me either [knocks on wood]), I find my Bold to definitly be more stable. My addiction for gadgets and tech alone has made me favor RIM, based on support alone. While you can find WinMo support through users and forums, I appreciate the more "direct" support I get from RIM. While I still have reserves about the fact we still get outages, I also like the fact that RIM and BBs have progressed from monochrome, ball-and-chain work devices, to a more user friendly and innovative line of devices. There's always 2 ways to look at things like these, the fanboy side, and the practicle side. If you can walk the narrow line between the 2, you'll always have a better outlook on issues like this... just my .02... I should get back to work.

Last edited by Serkle K; 02-04-2009 at 10:29 AM..
Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

About service books
Old 02-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
Serkle K

PIN: ... --- ...

^^ thanx jsconyers
Old 02-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.dollimount View Post
...you've updated your OS to the latest beta (.228).... but you don't know what a service book is
I know. I am a Windows Mobile software developer, by trade, and this is my first BlackBerry. I wanted the best phone that I could get, with a keyboard, in the portrait form factor, and I decided on the Bold. There are lots of differences with the BlackBerry than my previous phones: WinMo, Palm, Nokia w/S60, RAZR, many other older Nokias. My wife has an iPhone.

However, I always had the latest OS version on my old Treo 750, and I will keep the latest on my Bold. Whenever a developer makes a new version of a program, you should always get it, because there are a bunch of bugs they fix each time, that they forget to tell you about. You really always want the latest version.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
SVF
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT
Default Bold Latest OS not always the Best

Quote:
I know. I am a Windows Mobile software developer, by trade, and this is my first BlackBerry. I wanted the best phone that I could get, with a keyboard, in the portrait form factor, and I decided on the Bold. There are lots of differences with the BlackBerry than my previous phones: WinMo, Palm, Nokia w/S60, RAZR, many other older Nokias. My wife has an iPhone.

However, I always had the latest OS version on my old Treo 750, and I will keep the latest on my Bold. Whenever a developer makes a new version of a program, you should always get it, because there are a bunch of bugs they fix each time, that they forget to tell you about. You really always want the latest version.
Careful. In theory that is probably right. Theories are not always right. Of course this is just a theory. The fact is OS's are tuned by carriers to address their networks specific needs.Presumably optimized for the user experience. However in doing so compromises are necessarily made which may not utilize the full capacity of the device nor the particular need of a user. OS development, as you probably know isn't only about 'Bugs' ( though probably a bit more in the winmo arena) it is very much about refinement. Certainly steps forward can produce problems (Bugs) while advancing other areas it is not always satisfactory to use "The latest OS". Eternity may pass before a 'released' OS may appear and the real issue (or question) is where along the path of OS refinement (Beta ?) is acceptable.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
palomartian

PIN: ched off BBM, gained 3MB
Carrier: att

I never pass up the opportunity to fix issues that don't materially affect me at the risk of introducing ones that do.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #17
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Looks like we have yet another version of the OS for the Bold! v4.6.0.234! And this one is supposed to fix some problems with JavaScript, the media player and something else. I will be installing this tomorrow! Wah-hooo!

Last edited by michaelalanjones; 02-04-2009 at 10:53 PM..
Old 02-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #18
loving.justin

Model: Bold
Carrier: Starhub

Hello

Speaking of video, I have a little problem too. When someone bluetooths a video to me, I can hear the audio but no picture. However, if I take the same video file and transfer it using the Roxio Media Tool included in the setup cd and select the option to optimise for playback, I can watch the video properly on my BOLD.

Is this common? Sorry I am very new to using Blackberries!

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #19
bigbda1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Concerns about rebooting? I have never had my 9000 reboot! I did have three Treos years ago that rebooted constantly. I am running .216 and have no issues. No way is RIM going downhill with the 9000, this is a great device. I think Palm has a new Treo, maybe you should pick one up.
Closed Thread