BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
jolvey

Default Charging via USB port without BB Desktop Software

Please Login to Remove!

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the devices to charge via a USB port without having to actually load the Desktop Manager software on the PC that you are charging it from. Can the .inf file just be registered into everyone's PC that has a blackberry, and when they connect it will start charging?

What I am running into is that now that we are moving everyone to 4.0 and are syncing everything wirelessly, people aren't running/installing the desktop software anymore, but are still wanting to charge up their blackberries via the USB port.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Why not just forgoe the computer and plug it directly into an outlet?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
jolvey

Because most of the people leave their wall chargers at home, and just have the USB cable at work. While charging via the wall is much much faster, no one wants to buy a second charger.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolvey
Because most of the people leave their wall chargers at home, and just have the USB cable at work. While charging via the wall is much much faster, no one wants to buy a second charger.

At the rate we sell travel chargers I wouldn't say "...no one wants to...".

I don't know of a way to convince the BB to charge unless the DT Software is present. Which is interesting because you can use non BB chargers plugged into the wall to do it.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 03-30-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
teskew
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

RC - maybe you can give J a good discount!
Old 03-30-2005, 11:26 PM   #6
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by teskew
RC - maybe you can give J a good discount!

Sure.

Have you been to our store... I think our pricing is pretty favorable.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 03-30-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

I don't have desktop manager installed on this computer, plug into USB cable, it starts charging.

Check your XP USB power saving settings. If XP is trying to put the port to sleep, then it may not give constant power.

Zro
Old 03-31-2005, 08:34 AM   #8
ashoush
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

I do this all the time since I am already traveling with my laptop and do not want to bring another plug.

When I connect the BB to the laptop XP wants to install the device. I just hit Cancel and the BB starts charging.

key Point: Make sure that you have the computer set to NOT Sleep as once the computer starts to Sleep it will stop the power to the USB port and not continue to charge the BB

It does take significantly longer to charge from the computer than the outlet but I normally just plug the BB in at night and in the morning it is fully charged.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:45 AM   #9
vinniet

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

I have no idea why the BB has a problem charging from the USB hub. I have a self powered hub and the BB is the only device that will not charge unless the computer is on. I have GPS recievers and Palm device that both charge from USB and both charge with the computer on or not.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:11 AM   #10
pharma1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Talking

I charge my 7100t on a Mac, and we KNOW there is no Blackberry software installed on that.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:02 PM   #11
djseto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

do you have to have high power USB? My work laptop has non-high powered USB 2.0 --- i know I cant charge my iPod
Old 04-06-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
Wellcare

Default 7230 charging issues

I'm seeing this same charging problem w/ my company's 7230's since the 4.0 updgrade. All laptops are identical Dell 505's w/ XP Pro, but not all BB's are experiencing the same problem. However, about 10 so far after the 4.0 upgrade are not charging from the USB ports on the laptop or docking stations. We understood that Desktop Manager software 4.0.0.30 was unneccessary, and are just using the 4.0.0.185 handheld software. In testing though, some BB's are recognized by a specific laptop, but then another BB on the same laptop won't be recognized and no charging occurrs. TMobile tech support was mostly unhelpful w/ this issue. Any input on this? Thanks much...
Old 04-06-2005, 10:08 AM   #13
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

"At the rate we sell travel chargers I wouldn't say '...no one wants to...'.

I don't know of a way to convince the BB to charge unless the DT Software is present. Which is interesting because you can use non BB chargers plugged into the wall to do it.

I would say the poster is correct. No one wants to buy additional chargers. Why would anyone "want" to pay extra bucks? We do it only because we "have" to. The poster's question is legitimate, and buying extra chargers is not a legitimate answer, IMHO, if we can substitute a USB cable. For me, it's handy to use my USB cable because I can connect it to my monitor. It does take longer to charge, and as a result I didn't think it was charging. So the information here is very helpful. Indeed, I don't have DT set up on my home computer, and my Berry charges just fine without it.

That said, I've used Smart Phone Depo, and have found their pricing and service to be excellent.

Last edited by guinda35; 04-06-2005 at 10:43 AM..
Old 04-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #14
dl1

You need the USB drivers for it. I would suggest that once you have installled the software you could delete the folder for the desktop software and restore the registry to the pre-installation value and the drivers might remain on the system. If you uninstalled the software after copying the drivers and hiding them somewhere then restoring them that might work too. I'm not going to try any of that but it seems plausible.

I do not believe the software is otherwise involved in the charging process - it charges without the software running.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:07 AM   #15
mkb

To solve this problem we've decided to install the Blackberry Handheld manager without installing the full Desktop Manager. This seems to make the devices charge as quickly as they did before, but does not require an extra login or any manual synchronization. The only problem with using this method that we have encountered is that there is no seperate install, so writing packages is a little complicated.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:51 AM   #16
eradis

Model: 8700r

Yes it is possible. All you need is to copy C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers locally.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #17
bugmenot

Model: 7100g

I'm finding it depends on the Model of handheld wether it will charge or not, a 7100 will charge on anything, but the 7750s need the device driver installed, which is included with the Desktop Manager.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:05 AM   #18
mrclic

Model: 8800
Carrier: SFR

I read all precedent post, but I have another question. I try to charge a 7100v using a computer without rim software and it charge.
So i decide to buy a usb adapter for the car, Try to use it, and the 7100v start to charge but stop after 2s. Why ???
Old 04-26-2005, 08:55 AM   #19
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Try letting it charge anyway without the lightning bolt -- does the battery bar get stronger after a little while?

If not, try exchanging for a different brand USB car charger. I heard that helps.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 04-26-2005, 10:15 AM   #20
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think part of the problem is a default behavior with USB is to not fully power up devices that aren't recognized.

Under Linux Kernel 2.6 I can't charge my blackberry. But under 2.4 I can. Neither have the driver for it, but I think 2.6 cuts power when it doesn't know what to do with it. ( I get the bolt for a few seconds and then it goes away )

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Closed Thread