Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
ash146
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Default wireless help

Please Login to Remove!

So i'm in the travelling in the UK and have bought a prepaid UK Vodafone SIM which is working out great.

i'm staying at a cousin's house who has wireless. i'm trying to setup the wireless connection on my Bold. it's running the latest offical v5.0 firmware sticked at the top of this section.

when i do a scan, it finds the network. I try to connect and it gives me a message regarding "This wirless router supports wi-fi protected setup. to connect using a PIN (which your BB will generate), click Next."

so i click next, and voilla, a PIN is generated and my bold is asking me to enter this PIN into the wireless router. I looked at the wireless router config and do not know where I'm supposed to do this. I did a search in this subsection of the forum and nothing exactly came up but results gave me a couple of clues.

So i tried a manually adding it. i entered the name of the network but for the security type, there is no selection for the correct type. In the auto scan, i'm able to get the network details and the security type is WPA2-Personal. when I add the network, here are the choices:

No secruity
WEP
PSK (pre-shared key) (i've already tried entered the security key here but fails to authenticate)
PEAP
LEAP
EAP-TLS
EAP-FAST
EAP-TTLS
EAP-SIM
EAP-AKA

i'm stuck. any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

This was asked the other day, and is apparently asked once in a while. I don't know what to tell you. Search and see what you find. I do recall someone saying you can just cancel or skip that step and continue with the setup. Can you do over, or do you find you are now locked into using the PIN?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

PSK is the setting for WPA.
However, WPA2 may not work.
Ive found some wireless devices will not recognise the network or accept the PSK on a WPA2 security.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven
PSK is the setting for WPA.
However, WPA2 may not work.
Ive found some wireless devices will not recognise the network or accept the PSK on a WPA2 security.
I see what you were saying the other day about this with some routers, I think. It strikes me as like the bluetooth pairing where the user picks and enters a key on one device and then has to enter the key on the other device. Is that what's going on?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Thats what a Pre-shared Key is, yes.
This is the common way to link wireless devices. Most times, once setup, it will do it automatically though.

The PIN entry seems to be popping up more and more, and most routers don't accept it.
As said in the other thread about PIN router entry, it should be cancelable/skippable.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

It sounded to me like the blackberry detected that the router was capable of this PIN feature (which is then chosen by the blackberry user and entered into the blackberry first) and the blackberry user can choose to use this feature or not, as distinguished from, say, a wep key. So, I got it!

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-13-2010 at 09:46 AM..
Old 03-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Also, by the way, I'm guessing if the user does use this, then he/she needs to access the router via web browser and find the location in the setup where this PIN is entered and saved. That would be my assumption anyway.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

That is the correct assumption, however I don't believe it is detecting that the router can use the PIN feature.
I believe its a standard pop-up that just happens to appear on some models + Os's and not on others.
Ive never heard of a router having this "enter PIN" facility, especailly at least in the UK.
And Ive only heard about it from BB devices. Ive never heard of other wireless devices using this type of feature.

Closed Thread