Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Mighty!Marv

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default Faulty Blackberry Bold (9000) Screen - Advice Needed Please

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I was tinkering with my blackberry last night and ended up disconnecting the ribbon cable, nothing unusual there. However, since putting it all back together again my screen is one serious confused mess. I can't see anything what so ever as it is either covered in lines and blocks, or distorts the image severely. It's completely unreadable. What is weird is that this will only happen after the back light kicks in. When first reacting to button pressing the screen is visible correctly for a brief second or two.

I've ordered a new screen and it should arrive tomorrow afternoon. That being said I recently read a couple similar post on the forum and is it a possibility that the ribbon cable/socket/board is faulty, thus meaning a new screen will not solve the issue?

I didn't have a camera to take any pictures with at the time so instead I've had to post a video link, sorry. It's probably better anyway as it allows you to see it better. rapidshare.com/files/352710778/BBFAULT.mp4

Any help is greatly appreciated guys. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

You could always stop tinkering with your berry?

But the screen may or may not help. We will see...
Old 02-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Read this thread and let me know if you are experiencing the same symptoms: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ed-up-lcd.html

If so, you need to replace the LCD... :(
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Raptor464

Just watched your video....and I had the same issues with my Bold 9000 LCD... I ended up replacing the LCD, bezel, screws, and trackball. You could just get away with replacing the LCD only and you would be good as gold.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Mighty!Marv

It's very strange... The initial reason for opening up my phone was due to a faulty trackball. As I was changing this I decided to change the housing as can be seen, due to the keys and bezel being scuffed here and there from an incident a while back.

Everything was completely fine the first time I'd changed it, and even the 2nd and 3rd. I was having issues with the side buttons not sitting properly so had to open it a few times. It was only after the ribbon was disconnected that the screen went, or maybe due to repeat pressure on the screen. I had tried it without screws before posting and also completely out of the bezel/frame and still got the same result. I did notice the odd spec dust or two on the back of the screen at the time but even after removing that, still no result.

Fingers crossed that my new LCD works for me as it did you Raptor. Will update once it arrives.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Raptor464

Yup yup....good luck
Old 02-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Mighty!Marv

New LCD screen was a success. Thank you all for the tips 'n' advice, hopefully I can help someone else in the future.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Robi-K

Carrier: Vodafone

I think I can point out some things you should be carefull with when opening a bold.

If you take out your mainboard you have to be carefull cause the screen is glued, sticked to it. The plastick glass in front of your lcd is also glued to you lcd screen but its glued on the entire surface not just in the corners.

Now if you take out your mainbord, the top part has the lcd on it and a part of the plastick goes under the screw socket. While trying to take it out you might cause pressure, like when trying to change the plastick in front of the lcd, whitch by the way is a stupid thing to do, even if you have a spare plastick sreen and yours is scratched.

Some sites sell these as being original, this is a lie as that can't be changed.
This is true for the 8900 curve to.

The second thing is that when you try to lift the flex conector from the main board connector. If you apply to muth pressure on one side when lifting the plastick connector might get "unsoldered" from the flex cable. If it only gets unsoldered then somethimes your screen may work again and other times it doesnt. If the plastick connector breaks from the flex (also the soldering point break) then it will never work again.

Hope I was somewhat clear, its a little hard to explain without photos, and in another language.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
Mighty!Marv

Thanks for the tips. Luckily not problems I came across but thanks all the same. It wasn't a first time opening for me. In regards to the plastic screen on the lcd, I know about it and the whole peanut butter routine. Not really something I'd even bother risking personally, much like yourself.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Raptor464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty!Marv View Post
New LCD screen was a success. Thank you all for the tips 'n' advice, hopefully I can help someone else in the future.
glad to hear that your bold is up and running again!
Closed Thread