BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
TJHAWLEY

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Exclamation Bold Failed (Put in Freezer to get a backup)

Please Login to Remove!

My AT&T Bold failed after six weeks, and a new one was sent as a warranty exchange. By charging the battery in the new Bold, and then moving it to the old Bold, I was able to get a few signs of life but even these disappeared after several minutes of trying things. It occurred to me that the failed component (whatever it was) might be heat sensitive, and on a hunch I removed the battery and put the Bold in the freezer overnight.

In the morning, I inserted the battery (fully charged by the new Bold) into the old Bold, and to my surprise it booted right up and began downloading email! I quickly connected it to the Desktop Manager and was able to get a good backup before it began failing again as it warmed up. Five minutes later, it failed completely.

The lesson learned is to back up regularly using Desktop Manager, but if you get caught, the above Freezer Fix might get your dead unit working just long enough to pull a backup.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (My Bold)

The freezer on the lcd isn't the smartest idea IMO
Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
Wirelessly posted (My Bold)

The freezer on the lcd isn't the smartest idea IMO
In addition to not being a good thing for the LCD screen, putting your BlackBerry in the freezer can cause condensation, which could trigger the moisture sensors... and if your phone indicated that it got wet (by color change to the moisture sensors), AT&T will not honor the warranty exchange... they could charge you full retail for the replacement BlackBerry Bold.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
TJHAWLEY

The BlackBerry I'm putting in the freezer has already failed and will soon be headed back to AT&T, so I'm not overly concerned about the LCD. In any event, my freezer isn't that cold, and despite two freezing cycles (one to back up, one to wipe) my LCD came through just fine.

As for condensation causing a water damage indication, wouldn't this be a risk if you use your BlackBerry in winter? And if you live in the north, a BlackBerry shipped to you in winter could well be exposed to -20F enroute!
Old 05-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think the point here is this: The orginal issue that caused you to warranty exchange in the first place will likely be covered by the maunfacturer warranty agreement. Sticking it the freezer most definitely is not. When a carrier receives a defective device that the manufacturer won't repair, or that must be scrapped, the carrier loses that device as "repairable asset". This is what drives Out of Warranty charges.

Not saying that ths is definitely what will happen in this case, but the risk of it seems to be there.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

1) NEVER put electronic boards in the freezer. EVER
2) When (1) does not apply look at (1).
3) Look at (1) some more.
4)Repeat 100 times
5) GOTO 1
Old 05-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
kgambino
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist
1) NEVER put electronic boards in the freezer. EVER
2) When (1) does not apply look at (1).
3) Look at (1) some more.
4)Repeat 100 times
5) GOTO 1
I like your rules. Lol
Old 05-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHAWLEY View Post
As for condensation causing a water damage indication, wouldn't this be a risk if you use your BlackBerry in winter? And if you live in the north, a BlackBerry shipped to you in winter could well be exposed to -20F enroute!
Possibly, but highly unlikely.... unless you leave your BlackBerry device laying unprotected in the elements in the winter for several hours or more. Typically, your BlackBerry device is in a holster / case / pocket / purse... but when you put it in the freezer to cool down the overheating, is it in a holster / case / pocket / purse?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
gmpblack
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: Cushion (ouch)
Carrier: at+t

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
Possibly, but highly unlikely.... unless you leave your BlackBerry device laying unprotected in the elements in the winter for several hours or more. Typically, your BlackBerry device is in a holster / case / pocket / purse... but when you put it in the freezer to cool down the overheating, is it in a holster / case / pocket / purse?
I get Phones delivered FedEx in the dead of winter all the time, they can sit overnight in the truck and be exposed to sub zero temps at any time the trick would be not to power them on untill they hit room temp. That being said I doubt one time would turn the dye patches and if its going back to att... oh well
Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
TJHAWLEY

"Rules" and the possibility of warranty issues need to be balanced against the convenience or need to recover what's on the failed device.

As for "never" putting electronics in a freezer, you should know that freezing a failed hard drive can sometimes get it working again. Yes, it probably exceeds some environmental spec referred to in the fine print of a warranty.

"Freezing" in the context of this discussion means what can be accomplished in a normal home refrigerator, not exposing to liquid nitrogen or the like.

I do concur that under normal circumstances, it's best avoided.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

All I am saying is, don't be shocked by any out of warranty fees you may get when you return the defective device.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
yeria
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHAWLEY View Post
My AT&T Bold failed after six weeks, and a new one was sent as a warranty exchange. By charging the battery in the new Bold, and then moving it to the old Bold, I was able to get a few signs of life but even these disappeared after several minutes of trying things. It occurred to me that the failed component (whatever it was) might be heat sensitive, and on a hunch I removed the battery and put the Bold in the freezer overnight.

In the morning, I inserted the battery (fully charged by the new Bold) into the old Bold, and to my surprise it booted right up and began downloading email! I quickly connected it to the Desktop Manager and was able to get a good backup before it began failing again as it warmed up. Five minutes later, it failed completely.

The lesson learned is to back up regularly using Desktop Manager, but if you get caught, the above Freezer Fix might get your dead unit working just long enough to pull a backup.
I don't understand why you've decided to do that. Even if your hunch was true, the device was off while you had it in the fridge, so the low temperature won't make any difference. I mean, blackberries are not like ice packs....it's not like their internal parts start to morph into something else in low temperature. It'll only help silicon chips to break sooner.

Having said that, I don't think your warranty will be voided. Water damage applies and is only visible if your device was dumped into water. Precipitation you get by keeping the device in the fridge overnight won't be enough for them to know it.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
All I am saying is, don't be shocked by any out of warranty fees you may get when you return the defective device.
+1. I agree with this completely!
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeria View Post
Having said that, I don't think your warranty will be voided. Water damage applies and is only visible if your device was dumped into water. Precipitation you get by keeping the device in the fridge overnight won't be enough for them to know it.
This is not true. If you have your device in the bathroom while you shower, the steam from the shower has been known to cause water damage issues. There have been reports of keeping the device in your pocket while it's raining or even with sweat causing water damage as well.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #15
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeria View Post
A lot of the issue with the moisture sensor is determined by the sensitivity of the sensor. There are a plethora of reports that iPhone users are setting off the moisture sensor by using their iPhones while working out - sweaty hands can cause the sensor to change colors. There are also reports of sensors in extremely humid environs setting off the moisture sensor.

I am not saying that beyond any doubt this would happen, but it must be a consideration. As always, YMMV... just know that it is possible...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

By way of providing the "big pitcure", water damage isn't the only way to tax a device beyond manufacturer specs. Dropped, chewed on by the dog, or exposed to extreme heat or cold are all beyond what most manufacturers consider normal use.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #17
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

We just need to make perfectly clear that there is NO "freezer fix". Humidity and moisture are LETHAL to circuit components. In ANY form.

Well, not exactly in any form. Pure water is a really really poor conductor. Sadly you don't stand a chance meeting pure water molecules in your day to day activities. You'd probably come against rain,tap water.sweat,river water, sea water, snow, steam, floods, dr pepper or a possible combination of those. All those are PACKED with minerals, alkalies and acidic impurities that would EAT through your board components. The presence of a potential difference ( call me M-S1 battery pack) would just accelerate the process because it acts as a catalyst in the ion separation that would eventually cause corrosion and WILL destroy your board.

Humidity ALONE can cause corrosion. By putting electronics in the fridge you're just asking for it.

There is NO "freezer fix". Keep your electronics out of the fridge. Is it clear for everyone yet?

Last edited by the-economist; 05-26-2009 at 03:47 PM..
Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 AM   #18
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

How about the microwave, can I stick mu BlackBerry™ in the microwave to dry it out, rhetorical question since this conversation is way too serious.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #19
TJHAWLEY

The fact is, putting it in the freezer overnight did allow me to make a good backup of, recover a few critical files from, and then to wipe, a BlackBerry that was totally dead at room temperature.

I'm a little surprised that all the focus here seems to be on scrupulous compliance with the hypertechnical "moisture" provision of AT&T's warranty, which after all is just a device to extract a little extra revenue and promote the sale of "insurance".
Old 05-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I thought it was to indemnify themselves from replacing POS devices that people had swam with and dunked in the toilet.
Closed Thread