Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
lambchop

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus
Default Otterbobox Defender Case

Please Login to Remove!

Recently picked one of these up without doing any research only to find out that there is an inherent feedback issue with using the bold with this case.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this as yet???
Old 02-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
lazmorph
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

My wife and I both use the Otterbox defender cases on our Bolds and I don't have any issues with the cases. I don't know about the feedback issue that you mention, but neither of us seem to have this. I can say I have dropped my phone 3 times (all three times it was on my lap when I got out my vehicle) and the phone doesn't have a scratch.
Some of the problems I have had are:
1. the clear lens that covers the camera has a glare problem when the flash fires. My answer to this was to completely remove the clear lens from the otterbox case. This was fairly simple, and the camera lens is still offset inside the case.
2. On the second time I dropped my phone the cross bar across the front of the case broke and the top half of the case cracked.
I called Otterbox and they fully covered it under warranty and shipped me the replacement part out the next day. (hard to find customer service like that nowadays).
The crossbar on the other case is broken as well, although my wife says she hasnt dropped it, so I wonder if this might be a defect with the cases.
I will post some pictures as soon as I finish this.
3. The final problem is the raised edges around the left and right sides of the keyboard it makes hitting the keys that boarder the left and right sides a little difficult.
All in all we really like the case and recommend it to anyone who doesnt exactly take the best care of their Blackberry. It is a little large and doesnt look as cool as alot of other cases, but it certainly does what its designed to do.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
lazmorph

Ok, here are the pictures I referred to:
the broken crossbar has been removed and sharp edges filed down .
I think I actually like the case without the crossbar.
The crack has been filled with 5 minute epoxy so I couldn't open but I think you get the point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackberry 001-1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	15312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackberry 005-1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	15313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackberry 003.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	667.8 KB
ID:	15314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackberry 007-1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	596.5 KB
ID:	15315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackberry 008-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	15316  

Last edited by lazmorph; 02-21-2009 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Added photos.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
lambchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazmorph View Post
My wife and I both use the Otterbox defender cases on our Bolds and I don't have any issues with the cases. I don't know about the feedback issue that you mention, but neither of us seem to have this. I can say I have dropped my phone 3 times (all three times it was on my lap when I got out my vehicle) and the phone doesn't have a scratch.
Some of the problems I have had are:
1. the clear lens that covers the camera has a glare problem when the flash fires. My answer to this was to completely remove the clear lens from the otterbox case. This was fairly simple, and the camera lens is still offset inside the case.
2. On the second time I dropped my phone the cross bar across the front of the case broke and the top half of the case cracked.
I called Otterbox and they fully covered it under warranty and shipped me the replacement part out the next day. (hard to find customer service like that nowadays).
The crossbar on the other case is broken as well, although my wife says she hasnt dropped it, so I wonder if this might be a defect with the cases.
I will post some pictures as soon as I finish this.
3. The final problem is the raised edges around the left and right sides of the keyboard it makes hitting the keys that boarder the left and right sides a little difficult.
All in all we really like the case and recommend it to anyone who doesnt exactly take the best care of their Blackberry. It is a little large and doesnt look as cool as alot of other cases, but it certainly does what its designed to do.
The problem i refer to is the squeeling that occurs when the speakerphone is activated. It is so unbearable that the phone is simply unusable with this case......
Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
lazmorph

I have had this a couple of times, I just turned the volume down a bit and the squeal went away.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
lazmorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
The problem i refer to is the squeeling that occurs when the speakerphone is activated. It is so unbearable that the phone is simply unusable with this case......
Which software version are you running on your BB?
I am running the .221 version and I have 0 squeal.

Hope this helped.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
lambchop

Quote:

Hope this helped.
hey there, when u say .221 are u refering to package version?

I have just uprgraded to package .331 which comprises v4.6.0.190 (platform 4.0.0.172)

Does any of this make sense..??

Is this software version below or above this version u refer to as .221?

Where can I see a complete listsing of OS's?

What is the latets most stable version?

Thank you.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
lazmorph

[QUOTE=lambchop;1302742]hey there, when u say .221 are u refering to package version?

I have just uprgraded to package .331 which comprises v4.6.0.190 (platform 4.0.0.172)

Does any of this make sense..??

Is this software version below or above this version u refer to as .221?

Where can I see a complete listsing of OS's?

What is the latets most stable version?

Thank you.[/QUOTE

At the top of the Blackberry Bold Forum you will see the first link shows the latest OS system.

I am using the
9000jEastAsia_PBr4.6.0_rel373_PL4.0.0.186_A4.6.0.2 21_Orange_UK

The just relased the .224 yesterday and I havent tried it yet.
If you wanted to try the .221 version that I am using go to
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9000-series-discussion-bold/176753-os-9000-4-6-0-373-4-6-0-221-multilanguage-east-asian.html

Follow the instructions verbatim, its fairly simple.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
lambchop

Quote:

Hope this helped.
Just upgraded to ....221......SQUUUUUUUEEAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
lazmorph

I dont know what to tell you, I have three Bolds. My wife, daughter and myself. My wife and I both use Otterbox defenders and neither of us have a squeal after the upgrade. Did you check to ensure your BB is running .221?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
lambchop

Quote:
I dont know what to tell you, I have three Bolds. My wife, daughter and myself. My wife and I both use Otterbox defenders and neither of us have a squeal after the upgrade. Did you check to ensure your BB is running .221?
Im envious.....love the whole idea of the otterbox defender case, but unfortunately I dont share the same outcome.

I am running .221 but the squeal still resides....mind you, i refer to the suqeal when the speakerphone is activated. even though the level is kept below 6, there is still a hint of feedback.

Mind u, when i use the speakerphone while driving, its a bit hard to keep things below 6...so this sort of defeats the purpose....

very very dissapointed.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Ok, here are the pictures I referred to:
the broken crossbar has been removed and sharp edges filed down .
I think I actually like the case without the crossbar.
The crack has been filled with 5 minute epoxy so I couldn't open but I think you get the point.
sorry, but in light of a recent post about a defender case scratching up the surface of someone else's 8350i (i saw the post here on bbf)....

i gotta say that otterbox doesn't put much effort in final touch and finish of the inside of these cases. 50 or so bucks for a protective case is basically a chunk of the cost of the phone itself, isn't it ? so you put your brand-new, never before touched by human fingers phone into this case, shake it up a bit, and it comes out like you kicked it around on a sidewalk....

if the case was maybe 20-30 bucks, i wouldn't be surprised. but @ 50 bucks, i think Otterbox can afford to pay someone to buff down the inside surfaces before it goes into the packaging....

just my .02 cents
Old 03-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #13
lazmorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
so you put your brand-new, never before touched by human fingers phone into this case, shake it up a bit, and it comes out like you kicked it around on a sidewalk....
just my .02 cents
Actually I dropped my phone (the 2nd time) from about 4.5 feet onto a tarmac and the only thing that "came out damaged" was the case. Which is the sole reason I use a case.

But your entitled to your opinion.
Closed Thread