BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
jls5388

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy Only Advantageous Feature of Treo vs. Blackberry - Autolock and Easy Unlock

Please Login to Remove!

The one (and ONLY) issue I've ever had with the blackberry vs. the Treo is the keyboard lock/unlock. (well, threaded texts as well.. so I guess, two issues)

For those of you that have ever owned a Treo, you may know what I'm talking about. On the Treo, you could set the phone to "autolock" when the backlight dimmed. Then, when you clicked a button to light the backlight (say, the send button), the unlock dialogue box would pop up, and all you had to do was click the center button to unlock. Very simple, very sensible.

On the bb's, including the bold, autolock isn't a standard feature (yes, I know there are 3d pty programs), and WORST OF ALL, when you want to unlock, you have to press two stupid buttons (*, then Send).

I know you can D/L an autostandby program by Zaventh Ventures, however, its rather annoying to have to press an inconveniently located button on the top of the phone (mute button) to take the bb out of standby mode.

So, i guess my question is: does anyone know of a program (or otherwise) that will auto-lock (or standby) the bb Bold, AND that will allow you to assign a key (e.g. A SIMPLE PRESS OF THE TRACKBALL) to unlock/un-standby, as opposed to having to push (*, Send) or (the mute key)??

And if not, why in the world has no one created it?!??! The most convenient "key" on the phone is clearly the trackball! Wink, wink, developers - this would be a good seller.

Please help me out here - I'm flabbergasted!!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Mark PPG
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted (9000)

Ummmmmm. If you go to option, password, there is the ability to lock the handset when holstered. That means NO pressing buttons. You do however have to push * and green to unlock it though.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
jls5388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark PPG View Post
Wirelessly posted (9000)

Ummmmmm. If you go to option, password, there is the ability to lock the handset when holstered. That means NO pressing buttons. You do however have to push * and green to unlock it though.
Yes, thank you. But I am talking about without any holstering of the device. From what I understand the bold is very developer friendly, and so I assume that one could program the phone to choose ANY button to unlock (as opposed to * + green to unlock it. Just not sure why no one has done it yet.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Mark PPG
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted (9000)

Ok, but just to check, you can also lock the handset via the A key on the home screen aswell.

I see your point, but the purpose of 2 buttons to unlock is to avoid accidental unlocking
Old 12-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
jls5388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark PPG View Post
Wirelessly posted (9000)

Ok, but just to check, you can also lock the handset via the A key on the home screen aswell.

I see your point, but the purpose of 2 buttons to unlock is to avoid accidental unlocking
Touche. However, I'm more than willing to take that risk
Old 12-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
kbright1892
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: NNLNNLLL

Yeah, just hold the A key or set one of your customizable side keys to be the Keyboard Lock. And it was two buttons with the Treo, so why does 2 buttons bother you with the Bold?

My eBay Feedback
Feel free to message me there to verify it's me.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Those bastards at RIM! They make you push 2 friggin' buttons to unlock your BB!!

That's a serious complaint?
Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
MPS
No longer Registered.

Model: 9700
PIN: 21111639
Carrier: Rogers Bell Fido =0)

2 small buttons
Old 12-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Yep. Just 2. The reason for having two whole buttons to push is that if it was only one button it would be too easy for an accidental press while the device was in your pocket. Then we'd have wankers carrying on about how their Blackberrys "unlocked themselves" and dialed Fiji by accident.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
MPS
No longer Registered.

PIN: 21111639
Carrier: Rogers Bell Fido =0)

or there wife while out with the GF haha
Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls5388 View Post
The one (and ONLY) issue I've ever had with the blackberry vs. the Treo is the keyboard lock/unlock. (well, threaded texts as well.. so I guess, two issues)

For those of you that have ever owned a Treo, you may know what I'm talking about. On the Treo, you could set the phone to "autolock" when the backlight dimmed. Then, when you clicked a button to light the backlight (say, the send button), the unlock dialogue box would pop up, and all you had to do was click the center button to unlock. Very simple, very sensible.

On the bb's, including the bold, autolock isn't a standard feature (yes, I know there are 3d pty programs), and WORST OF ALL, when you want to unlock, you have to press two stupid buttons (*, then Send).

I know you can D/L an autostandby program by Zaventh Ventures, however, its rather annoying to have to press an inconveniently located button on the top of the phone (mute button) to take the bb out of standby mode.

So, i guess my question is: does anyone know of a program (or otherwise) that will auto-lock (or standby) the bb Bold, AND that will allow you to assign a key (e.g. A SIMPLE PRESS OF THE TRACKBALL) to unlock/un-standby, as opposed to having to push (*, Send) or (the mute key)??

And if not, why in the world has no one created it?!??! The most convenient "key" on the phone is clearly the trackball! Wink, wink, developers - this would be a good seller.

Please help me out here - I'm flabbergasted!!
I Have set the auto-lock feature to 2min. The BB will automatically lock after this time regardless if stored in holster or not ( I keep mine in my back-pocket). Now, If you set your passwort to a single key, all you have to do, is to press this key to unlock.
I prefer a larger password like "eru", more then 1 letter, but something you can type fast, but If you prefer it simple, that should do it.
I forgot: you have to press the "enter" key after the password.

Last edited by nobody7290; 12-28-2008 at 07:28 PM..
Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #12
jls5388

1. Locking the bb isn't the issue. I know the "A" key locks it. it's unlocking using - yes - 2 WHOLE KEYS that's the issue.

2. I guess technically, its 3 buttons to unlock the Bold. One to engage the phone, then * + Send

3. With a single button unlock on the Treo, never met a "wanker" that complained about his/her phone unlocking, including my-wanker-self. Rambo47, I'm not here to lodge monumental complaints. This forum is my only outlet for advice on the issue - and to me its a big inconvenience. I'm sure you've heard worse - with over 2600 posts, you seem to have spent every waking moment in the past four years perusing this site. Let me guess what you're next reply will be: "Then go back to the Treo." OK, I've said it for you, so don't bother. Thanks.

4. I tried the password route nobody7290. Unfortunately, the Bold requires at least 3 characters. Otherwise, that would be a perfect solution.

5. Its not that simple to press the trackball accidentally (as opposed to the "p" key which seems to get tons of pocket action.

Last edited by jls5388; 12-28-2008 at 09:14 PM..
Old 12-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
3. With a single button unlock on the Treo, never met a "wanker" that complained about his/her phone unlocking, including my-wanker-self. Rambo47, I'm not here to lodge monumental complaints. This forum is my only outlet for advice on the issue - and to me its a big inconvenience. I'm sure you've heard worse - with over 2600 posts, you seem to have spent every waking moment in the past four years perusing this site. Let me guess what you're next reply will be: "Then go back to the Treo." OK, I've said it for you, so don't bother. Thanks.
After 4 years on this site, my post count is relatively low. But to get to 2600, Blackberrys have to be some kind of sick addiction. Guilty as charged!

The Blackberry is all about two things: Email and Security. Those are the cornerstones upon which RIM built this reputation and client base. Expect RIM to side with caution over convenience every time.

And I would never tell someone to go back to a Treo! That's just wrong.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
kbright1892
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: NNLNNLLL

Quote:
2. I guess technically, its 3 buttons to unlock the Bold. One to engage the phone, then * + Send
Actually, you can just press * + Send. There is no need to hit another button first. Same as having to press a button to light up your Treo and then press the center button. TWO BUTTONS BOTH WAYS! See, same thing!!!!!!

My eBay Feedback
Feel free to message me there to verify it's me.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
I'm sure you've heard worse - with over 2600 posts, you seem to have spent every waking moment in the past four years perusing this site. Let me guess what you're next reply will be: "Then go back to the Treo." OK, I've said it for you, so don't bother. Thanks.
Great way to get going around here.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #16
bigbda1
Thumbs Must Hurt

I had 3 Treo's. I cannot count the times my Treo was left on upon re-holstering the device. I now have a Bold. The lock feature on the BB is secure and excellent. NO comparison.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #17
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Great way to get going around here.
In all fairness, I tweaked him a bit with the "wanker" comment. I just couldn't resist, one former Treo user to another.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

oh yea, treo user = wanker. I knew that. :o
Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #19
Lex Reis

PIN: 207ABBCE
Carrier: Vivo

DOnt forget the stability, Bold never freezes....never crashes....never get slowly...
Quote:
rambo47
]After 4 years on this site, my post count is relatively low. But to get to 2600, Blackberrys have to be some kind of sick addiction. Guilty as charged!

The Blackberry is all about two things: Email and Security. Those are the cornerstones upon which RIM built this reputation and client base. Expect RIM to side with caution over convenience every time.

And I would never tell someone to go back to a Treo! That's just wrong.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #20
Lex Reis

PIN: 207ABBCE
Carrier: Vivo

And another thing, to lock the screen you just have to press the A button....where is the problem here?
Closed Thread