BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #21
Globetrotterdoug
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default International teathering free with BB international plan?

Please Login to Remove!

If I teather with BB bold and have the int'l BB plan, can I teather on 3G outside the US for free? Seems too good to be true.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #22
littlehouseofsavages
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A

I am wondering the same thing. I am currently living abroad and have unlimited international plan. My best online research (which isn't worth much) came up with the following:

"Mobilize Your Laptops

Mobile workers can use many different AT&T handsets as wireless modems to connect their laptops to the AT&T wireless data networks. By wirelessly enabling their laptops, your mobile employees can stay in touch with customers and co-workers when out of the office.

When using a handset as a modem, you gain the benefits of AT&T's LaptopConnect solution.
Devices

AT&T offers a number of data-capable handsets that can be used as wireless modems. Click here for a list of devices compatible with AT&T's tether solution.
Connecting your handset to a laptop

Handsets can be attached to a laptop via a cable or, if your handset and laptop are capable, via Bluetooth®. Please consult the user manuals of both your handset and laptop to determine which method best meets you needs.

If you wish to use either a serial or USB cable, and one was not included with the purchase of your handset, please visit our online Accessories Store.
Software

AT&T offers an easy-to-use software package, AT&T Communication Manager, to help you access the AT&T wireless data networks with your wireless handset. This software is free of charge and can be downloaded from here.
Quick, easy installation

To get started using a handset as a wireless modem, simply:

1. Choose a handset from the list of supported tethered handsets .
2. Select a Data Connect service plan.
3. If desired, purchase any additional accessories, such as a USB or serial cable.
4. Download and install the AT&T Communication Manager software. Communication Manager runs on your laptop and allows you to control how and when your laptop connects to AT&T's wireless network. It is available free of charge.
5. Launch Communication Manager.
6. Connect your handset to your laptop. If you are using Bluetooth to tether, refer to your device user manuals to find specific information about how to pair your devices.
7. Click Connect on the Communication Manager interface to connect to the AT&T wireless data network.

Important Information"

-via ATT wireless website. (sorry I couldn't just post a link, I have less than 10 posts.)

It gives no indication that there is an extra charge, which may just be an oversight by me.

I have set up my Bold to my mac through Bluetooth and know it works, but I have not paid to get the tether package and I am too scared to see if it charges me. The AT & T reps I ask never seem to have a solid answer. For the months I've been looking into this issue and trying to find some definitive answers (which has not been painstaking), I would like to finally have some proof or first hand accounts!

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #23
dbltap
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

Everything you have seen here is on the money. If you download a ton of data, you will eventually get charged. That said.... I have used the bluetooth tethering on the international data plan all over the world. I only tend to use it when I can not get a WiFi connection for my laptop.

As an example, I needed to find a hotel in London and use the company on-line travel site to find an approved hotel. That application won't run on the Bold. I used the tethered Bold to the laptop, ran the app, found and booked a hotel ... all from the rental car as we were negotiating London traffic. (I was the passenger. )

I've used it for similar needs all over the world. But I don't go running bit torrents or download ISO files. I use the tethering for apps that use nominal data that won't raise any red flags over the amount of data being used. It definitely works. And I have not seen any additional data charges as long as I am on an AT&T roaming partner.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #24
littlehouseofsavages
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Thanks for that reply. That is what I am looking to do. My place in Kensington doesn't have internet and I am only going to be there a few more months and I am essentially looking to use the Bold for reasonable internet access. I will put my torrenting on hold for a bit.

A dumb question, if I were to call AT & T and say I wanted to tether, they would charge me a flat fee per month and I could tether to my hearts content? I just don't get how it is different from the international unlimited (or domestic for that matter) data plan that I already pay for. Am I just paying for the privilege, even though AT & T willingly sets out how to tether my phone for access saying it is at no charge?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #25
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I use my Bold to tether my MacBook, but only on those rare occasions when I need an emergency connection for something quick and there's no WiFi in range. I was on the road, driving down to Durham NC this past summer and got a call from home. My 12-year old son got the brilliant idea to give my Hotmail password to his friends on Xbox so they could do some "file sharing". I pulled off the road and changed it immediately rather than risk any of them doing it themselves and then hijacking the account. Later that night we had the online security chat.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #26
Rhyalus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Does anyone know of speed comparisons between using it as a modem per the FAQ, official tethering, and Tetherberry?

I just bought Tetherberry and it is pretty cool for browsing - not so good for MS Exchange and Outlook, though.

Should I have gone the route in the FAQ?

R
Closed Thread