Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
TAG1976
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default ((Amazing)) Battery Life!

Please Login to Remove!

Im astonished that I can go 4 days without a charge! My phone should be taped to my head or my hand as much as im on it. Is this how BB batteries have always been? My Treo was lucky if it lasted 10 hours let alone a day. This has got to be the best Phone/Smartphone I have ever owned!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
gfisher99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&Tingular

4 days is a long time, you are one of the lucky ones. I can usually go about 2 days with moderate voice and heavy data use.

The BlackBerry has always outlasted the Treo/WM Devices..

Are you using data as well as voice? Or just voice? My girlfriend has my old Pearl and uses voice only and it lasts her like 4-5 days without charge. The data really sucks up the battery.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
CableGuy711
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

mine was down to 50% after 12 hours yesteday, but then again i just got it the day before so i'm still playing with it ever few mins.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
TAG1976
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T

An average day for me (by the numbers) would be:

-10 to 12 calls a day (15 mins or less)
-Constant email activity (from 5am to 6pm)
-Constant SMS/MMS
-Moderate Browsing
-Constant picture taking

Its tough getting out of the habit of charging every night. I drained down to 10% before I plugged in tonight. Hopefully these will be solid numbers.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
miamiborn79

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

I've never really understood the whole focus on battery life. (Unless it's so crappy it won't last the day through) I mean, do people realistically go days without charging and get upset if the battery drains in less time than expected? I don't know, maybe i'm old fashioned, but i plug my baby in every night before i go to sleep. I mean, the charger is right next to the bed, and my phone is always right next to me, so i don't see why i wouldn't? I mean, cool, so the blackberry curve goes days without charging, but why would you want to wait days to test this theory? It's not like it's such an inconvienence to plug the phone in! Not flaming by any means, I just must be missing something!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I can't say I am getting 4-days from a charge, but I am getting a solid 48-hours until meter shows 15%...and that ain't half bad IMHO. I too came from a Treo...a 680, and I had to add a Seidio extended battery with double the capacity of the OEM unit just to get through a busy day and night with any charge left. I am pretty satisfied with the b-life of the Curve so far...

I doubt smartphones, with all they have going on all the time, will ever have the battery lifespan of "dumbphones"...and that's something I have come to accept and not curse.

Now...if Seidio can come up with an extended battery that will fit inside the standard body, and use the standard battery door...or even if it has to use a door with a slight hump...the BB 8300 Curve will morph itself into the "perfect device" for me...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
Malkier
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: ALL

Long battery life is quite important to a lot of us, if a device is used heavily, it wont always make it through a day (not mentioning other devices that I know that struggle to do this).
Also Blackberry is focused on being mobile, sometimes you cant always get to a charger, so knowing that you can safely go a few days without charging is great.

I must have a bad 'dumbphone' as the battery in that thing is no way as good as the blackberry. When started using blackberries I was supprised at how good the battery was.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiborn79 View Post
I've never really understood the whole focus on battery life. (Unless it's so crappy it won't last the day through) I mean, do people realistically go days without charging and get upset if the battery drains in less time than expected? I don't know, maybe i'm old fashioned, but i plug my baby in every night before i go to sleep. I mean, the charger is right next to the bed, and my phone is always right next to me, so i don't
see why i wouldn't? I mean, cool, so the blackberry curve goes days without charging, but why would you want to wait days to test this theory? It's not like it's such an inconvenience to plug the phone in! Not flaming by any means, I just must be missing something!

Welcome to the Majors Miami!
Most (not all) but most people on here are very concerned about there battery life, and how long a standard charge will take them! I for one don't like carrying around a charger, or even using a car charger. Some of us on the forum (myself included) really use our phone all day long. I'm sending and receiving emails all day long, not to mention using the device to talk as well. And when you throw media (web) into play you want to have a battery that can last a day or even two. At this point I have no complaints about the battery life of the Curve, 45% after a full days use is fine with me. That's what I have right now, and my day started at about 8am with a full charge. Not bad at all!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
miamiborn79

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Again, I understand not wanting to have to constantly "worry" about the battery life, and whether or not it will make it through the day after heavy use, but I was simply referring to the people who cant understand that you might need to plug in your phone after a couple days. I also get not wanting to lug around a charger everywhere you go, but are you really going to go somewhere for more than two days and realistically not bring a charger, or expect not to have to need it? I use my phone all day long as well, and i have been there and done that with devices that crap out after several hours of use in a day, but when my phones give me more than a day after heavy (and i do mean heavy) use, what more can I ask for? Takes two seconds to plug before bed/unplug the next morning, but a lot of people (not just in blackberry land, but all over) view charging like a huge chore, that's all i was getting at...

Oh and by the way Sean76... I may be new to this board and semi-new to BlackBerry's, but considering my previous phones (Nokia 6620, 6682, 7610, N73, N80, E62, E70, E61i, Palm 680, Blackberry Pearl... just to name a few...) This is hardly my first rodeo! but thanks for the welcome! This board has helped me a lot!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:39 AM   #10
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW
Wink

Quote:
Again, I understand not wanting to have to constantly "worry" about the battery life, and whether or not it will make it through the day after heavy use, but I was simply referring to the people who cant understand that you might need to plug in your phone after a couple days. I also get not wanting to lug around a charger everywhere you go, but are you really going to go somewhere for more than two days and realistically not bring a charger, or expect not to have to need it? I use my phone all day long as well, and i have been there and done that with devices that crap out after several hours of use in a day, but when my phones give me more than a day after heavy (and i do mean heavy) use, what more can I ask for? Takes two seconds to plug before bed/unplug the next morning, but a lot of people (not just in blackberry land, but all over) view charging like a huge chore, that's all i was getting at...

Oh and by the way Sean76... I may be new to this board and semi-new to BlackBerry's, but considering my previous phones (Nokia 6620, 6682, 7610, N73, N80, E62, E70, E61i, Palm 680, Blackberry Pearl... just to name a few...) This is hardly my first rodeo! but thanks for the welcome! This board has helped me a lot!

By the way!!!
When you close a post by saying, I must be missing something?You opening the door for some feedback, I'm not questioning how many phones you've had or anything like that. You asked about battery life, and that's the answer! Some people like to go some time without a charge, has nothing to do with anything else. Not to be argumentative, but you made a reference to the N80. I've owned that device, as well as other N series phones (N95) and the battery life on those devices are down to cemetery status by late afternoon! Anyway, who cares! Your part of the BlackBerry movement now, and a member of the best forum on the web. So in that case, welcome to dance my friend!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:30 AM   #11
CommercialBrokerPITA
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT/Cing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableGuy711 View Post
but then again i just got it the day before so i'm still playing with it ever few mins.
You might not want to share that with the class ...
Old 06-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #12
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
I've never really understood the whole focus on battery life. (Unless it's so crappy it won't last the day through) I mean, do people realistically go days without charging and get upset if the battery drains in less time than expected? I don't know, maybe i'm old fashioned, but i plug my baby in every night before i go to sleep. I mean, the charger is right next to the bed, and my phone is always right next to me, so i don't see why i wouldn't? I mean, cool, so the blackberry curve goes days without charging, but why would you want to wait days to test this theory? It's not like it's such an inconvienence to plug the phone in! Not flaming by any means, I just must be missing something!
The longer battery life frees me from having to worry about it. I can go somewhere for the weekend on the spur of the moment without going home and getting a charger and 3 batteries first (as I had to w my WM5 phones) and reasonably expect to make it to monday with careful use.

If I get home from the bar and flop down in bed feeling too lazy to walk across the room and put the phone on the charger, its ok! My time with other phones (PPC-6700, treo700wx, Samsung i730, Samsung i830) felt like I was just traveling from charger to charger like a slave to my phone.

Now that the blackberry is getting more capable the extra battery life also frees us to use those features. If I can get through the days email, calls, SMS, web and IM with only half the battery I will have no problem adding an hour or two of music and videos during my commute and still get through the day with power to spare. With other phones I would be afraid to use them for music too much as I might not make it through the days calls. This led to carrying extra batteries everywhere, and really who wants to do that?
Closed Thread