Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
jabxyz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Screen goes black

Please Login to Remove!

First off I did a search and I did in fact find a number of posts for different models of BB, where users have reported that their screens have gone black without warning. In each case the device is still powered up and fully charged. While each reported that this effect happened during different applications all reported that with a battery pull the screen reset to normal. The problem is that none of the threads really was informative regarding a cause and a better solution than a battery pull.

I have a Storm 1, unlocked that I bought a while ago on ebay and was originally on a BellSouth? network I think. I am on a work assignment overseas and presently am using it on the TIGO network in Latin America no problems. Recently, while either checking email or responding to email or BBM the screen will go black while I'm typing. The screen does not exhibit this behaviour while scrolling or while talking on the phone. The usual scenario is that I will be typing and without warning, drop to black, not fade to black just boom! black screen. Initially I tried randomn mashing of seemingly appropriate buttons, to no avail. Then I went with the all purpose battery pull and after a full restart usually the screen that I was typing on was saved and I can continue to type and finish the message. While the battery pull/restart works it gets old if you have to do it two or three times in order just to finish a BBM reply. Again, the battery is fully charged. The device has not been dropped or dunked in the water and though I have felt enough rage to have winged it at a wall, I have thus far resisted, though just barely. This appears to be a known problem.
1) Is there a known cause and
2)Is there a known solution?
Thanks and regards,
John
Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Screen goes black

I haven't experienced this and haven't followed any threads on the subject, but here is what I would try if it were me:

I would first look at the applications I had running, and any apps I have installed that run in the background when closed. I would particularly look at the latter and either set them to actually exit and stop running when closed, or remove them entirely for the time being. If you are using a third party theme, switch back to a stock theme for the time being. Then see what happens.

If it is still going on after the above, I would then do a full backup and afterward do a security wipe with the setting to delete all third-party apps. Then just use the device as is for a while, long enough to be sure if there is any problem is should happen in that time, and see what happens. If all is well, then restore your data and add your third-party apps one at a time and test in between.

If it is still going on, consider wiping with JL_CMDER (see blackberryfaq.com) and then reinstall the OS or install a newer OS if one is available (see the top of the forum for your model).
Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
lee_bruice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A

Try to restore the phone to factory. There is something wrong with your keyboard data It is advisable to back up the files before storing.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
jabxyz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800

Got busy at work and haven´t gotten by here in a while. Thanks guys for these ideas. I have got to say that I am more than a little nervous about wipíng my Storm and reloading apps but the more that the screen blacks out on me in the middle of typing the less nervous I get.
Closed Thread