BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
Live_from_Toronto
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Newbie, and already hooked.

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, Berryists,

A very bad man gave me a Blackberry 7280 last week. I wasn't sure about it; I have been a Palm guy since there were Palms.

However, being open minded, I thought I would give it a try. And now I know why they call it Crackberry. It is very cool.

Some of the stuff that I use the Palm for, such as aviation utilities, will cause me to keep the Palm hanging around. But it seems that as a carry around device, this one is pretty capable.

The one thing that I really am going to miss is a document reader. Any chance that that is included in 4.0? And speaking of, any new hints on a release date?

I have ben reading this forum all weekend, thanks for the collective wisdom.

RF
Old 09-27-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Unfortunately nobody yet knows when 4.0 will be released, but from what I hear, a public Beta will soon be announced, and its supposed to be out "4th Quarter of 2004"

Its fairly stable in the Beta right now, so things are great.

You can purchase eOffice from http://www.eoffice.com (or eAccess, as BBclub members get 5% off..)

Or, you can wait until 4.0, which has the abilities to open attachments, but we are uncertain if the option to edit office documents will come with the OS. We know read only copies can be opened.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:59 AM   #3
Live_from_Toronto
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default And More

I installed a demo of Eword yesterday, and it seemed pretty kludgy. For one thing, I could not easily see how to make the font size something that a 41-year-old could read. As well, when I went to send a 1.4 mb .doc file to the device, it seemed to nearly kill it. It hung up, and took about 20 minutes to recover.

If you can read attachments in 4.0, (I read a word doc attachment that I sent myself in 3.7 on Saturday) how would you get a large document like a large novel to the device, other than by Email? I pay $40 to Rogers for my data service, which only inlcudes 1 MB of data transfer. I would not want to pay $10 per additional MB just to load a novel. On the Palm, it costs nothing but a 30 second synch.

Sorry for the silly questions, just learning.

RF
Closed Thread