BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:03 AM   #1
GadgetGuru72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question What exactly does "standby" mode do?

Please Login to Remove!

The user guide states that the mute button on top of the phone is the "standby" button. However, it doesn't really state what the button does.

Is pressing the standby button a quick way to turn off the ringer if you need your phone to be silent? For example, if I walk into a room in which I need my phone to be silent, can I just press the standby button?

Last edited by GadgetGuru72; 11-11-2007 at 02:16 AM..
Old 11-11-2007, 02:12 AM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Hold the button down for a few seconds and it puts the BB in Standby mode, shuts down the back light and conserves power, push it again to take it out.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:16 AM   #3
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
Hold the button down for a few seconds and it puts the BB in Standby mode, shuts down the back light and conserves power, push it again to take it out.
Thanks for the response, but I wasn't asking how to put it in standby mode ... I was asking what it means to be in standby mode. Is it just backlight and conserving power? Does it mute the ringer so that the phone doesn't ring?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:34 AM   #4
jseah

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGuru72 View Post
Thanks for the response, but I wasn't asking how to put it in standby mode ... I was asking what it means to be in standby mode. Is it just backlight and conserving power? Does it mute the ringer so that the phone doesn't ring?
I don't believe that standby mode mutes the ringer. If you want to mute the ringer, just choose the Profiles application and then set your profile to one of the ringer off ones.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:01 AM   #5
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

Sorry to the best of my knowledge it only goes into a type of power down mode everything still works. It's good if you want to put it into your pocket.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
Mark_Venture

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

Putting the BB into the Standby mode via the Mute key is basically the same mode the BB goes into when put into a "made for BB" holster, pocket or sleeve...

The screen powers down, to conserve battery...

Key presses have no impact, and the screen stays off...

When a call comes in... the screen lights up and gives you the option to answer/ignore the call...

Its really meant as a way to conserve battery power, yet leave the device in "functional state" that can receive calls, emails, text messages, play the various notifier sounds set by "Profiles", etc....

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all
Old 11-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
tobyw

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I always think of it as what happens when I put it in the holster. I use standby mode, though, when I have a suit jacket on (rarely!) and want to put it in my jacket pocket without the bulk of a case/holster. I mainly use it to stop accidentally dialling a number.

Last edited by tobyw; 11-11-2007 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: add final sentence
Old 11-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
NealTse

Model: 8100c

So the "Mute" button puts it in standby...that makes no sense...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
BlackberryEMS
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Actually, the mute button does two things...short push: mutes an audible alert (I don't remember if it stops vibrate as well...someone else know?); longer push/hold: standby mode. Two functions, same button.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #10
jseah

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979

And mute only works when you are actually on a call.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
havaloc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I discovered that standby does not trigger holster behaviors though, so it's like being in the holster, but does not enable holster activities as listed in the profiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyw View Post
I always think of it as what happens when I put it in the holster. I use standby mode, though, when I have a suit jacket on (rarely!) and want to put it in my jacket pocket without the bulk of a case/holster. I mainly use it to stop accidentally dialling a number.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
JoelDF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealTse View Post
So the "Mute" button puts it in standby...that makes no sense...
It is a double-duty button as already noted. It does actually "Mute" in the right circumstance.

And, it's the only way to put the Pearl on "standby".

There is a way to just lock out the keypad, by holding the "*/SYM" key for a few seconds, but if you press a button, the screen still lights up telling you the keypad is locked. So it's not really saving much battery juice since the backlight and keypad light still turns on, if only for a few seconds.

If it's in, say, your pants pocket, and you sit or stretch or whatever, causing a button to get pressed, it will be constantly turning the light on trying to tell you that the keypad is locked - but you'll never see it... because it's in your pocket

Using the Mute to put it in Standby will save all that so that it only comes alive when you actually get a call. Pressing any other button does nothing and because of where the Mute button is, it will be hard to accidentally hit it in a pocket.

Last edited by JoelDF; 11-12-2007 at 06:26 PM..
Old 11-13-2007, 01:20 AM   #13
randbrag

Model: 8300
Default Silence-ing the Curve

I know I'm spoiled after having a very sweet Sony Ericsson K790A, but having to go through all the profile hoops just to silence the ringer seems very clunky to say the least. What does the speaker icon button on the keypad do, anything? Can I assign a silence function to a key such that I can turn the ringer on and off easily? If not, what is the fastest way to silence and re-enable the ringer? Thanks! BTW, only one alarm for the alarm clock application on the Curve? Yep, I am spoiled alright! Next, I get NO reminder when a calender item is due even though the reminder is set. Apparently, there's another trick to do that too. If my company would allow me to get my email through any other network, I'd go back to my SE in a heartbeat. The Curve does a lot of things right, but the operating system is pitiful in comparison. Lastly, can I record a sound (my son playing Irish fiddle) and use it as my ring tone on my Curve? These are the few little things (silencing and calendar reminders especially) that are making the Curve a less than ideal solution for me. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:38 AM   #14
rafaelo

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by randbrag View Post
I know I'm spoiled after having a very sweet Sony Ericsson K790A, but having to go through all the profile hoops just to silence the ringer seems very clunky to say the least. What does the speaker icon button on the keypad do, anything? Can I assign a silence function to a key such that I can turn the ringer on and off easily? If not, what is the fastest way to silence and re-enable the ringer? Thanks! BTW, only one alarm for the alarm clock application on the Curve? Yep, I am spoiled alright! Next, I get NO reminder when a calender item is due even though the reminder is set. Apparently, there's another trick to do that too. If my company would allow me to get my email through any other network, I'd go back to my SE in a heartbeat. The Curve does a lot of things right, but the operating system is pitiful in comparison. Lastly, can I record a sound (my son playing Irish fiddle) and use it as my ring tone on my Curve? These are the few little things (silencing and calendar reminders especially) that are making the Curve a less than ideal solution for me. Thanks for your help!
Dude, just press the # key and hold it. It changes in between profiles. I have setup mine to go to vibrate mode only after i hold it. And when i hold it again ti brings me to normal mode.

About the mute key, that's the best key that i constantly use. During a call u can mute the conversation during regular usage you sorta lock the device. Simple as that. It's not an error by blackberry. It's a convenience.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 AM   #15
cameron.personal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (7100t on T-Mo: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Thanks for the info about the # key I had no idea I could change sound profile that way.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #16
MarcR727

Model: 8130

You are alll leaving out something important that i HATE!!! When you put it into standyby it will still sound for Text/Mail/Phone but not for the alarm or appointments (On my BB anyway)....What's up with that...I forget about all of my appointments because i always use standby and my phone doesn't announce the appointment until i take it out of standby and i oversleep when i forget about it at night

Last edited by MarcR727; 11-13-2007 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Forgot about the alarm too
Old 11-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcR727 View Post
You are alll leaving out something important that i HATE!!! When you put it into standyby it will still sound for Text/Mail/Phone but not for the alarm or appointments (On my BB anyway)....What's up with that...I forget about all of my appointments because i always use standby and my phone doesn't announce the appointment until i take it out of standby and i oversleep when i forget about it at night
I hope that's a defect...something that will be fixed/changed soon. Having calendar and reminders is one of the key reasons I'm getting the Pearl...
Old 11-14-2007, 07:04 AM   #18
zaveed

Carrier: N/A

I thought that once it goes into standby it will not receive calls or get SMS :(.but got the answer now and i am using this feature a lot.

Thanks for sharing this info guys.

Zaveed
Old 01-16-2008, 04:00 AM   #19
MasterStanf2k

Model: 8830
PIN: 32BEAA6EB

ayy I hope that alarm/appointment thing gets fixed!!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 AM   #20
alb123

Model: 9630
PIN: ********

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcR727 View Post
You are alll leaving out something important that i HATE!!! When you put it into standyby it will still sound for Text/Mail/Phone but not for the alarm or appointments (On my BB anyway)....
Has this changed in the year since the original post? Will my Curve 8330 OS 4.3 audibly remind me of an appointment/reminder in Stand-By mode?

::EDIT:: I just noticed I found this topic while Searching but it was originally posted in the Pearl forum. Still a newbie!

Last edited by alb123; 09-09-2008 at 04:04 AM..
Closed Thread