BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
SJBritish

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Using wifi for everything but calls?

Please Login to Remove!

I there a setting that would allow em to use wifi for data only? My reasoning is that the UMA w/ my router is terrible and I don't have the @home plan but I would like the extra speed when browsing the web. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 241BE401

Yes there is. Go to Options -> Mobile Network -> Connection. Choose "Mobile Network Only." This will allow you to connect to a WiFi network and enjoy the higher data speeds, but will only allow calls to go over the regular GSM network.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Marin

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

Hi guys,

In another thread i asked when im using Wifi at home/office i dont know whether its using gprs or my wifi for the web and i was told to do the following:

Check Options -> Mobile Network -> Connection Preference. Set it to 'Wi-Fi Preferred'. Then when you are connected to WiFi the Browser should use WiFi.

But reading your thread is seems that i need to set it differently. I want wifi for data/browsing only and gprs for voice. So which i do i choose now?

your help is appreciated. thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
spblat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mo

I've proved (using a bandwidth monitor) that with wifi on and Mobile Network Options -> Connection Preference -> Mobile Network Only, data services are still using wifi. Since my UMA sucks, this is the setting I'm leaving it on for now.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Check Options -> Mobile Network -> Connection Preference. Set it to 'Wi-Fi Preferred'. Then when you are connected to WiFi the Browser should use WiFi.

But reading your thread is seems that i need to set it differently. I want wifi for data/browsing only and gprs for voice. So which i do i choose now?
You were told wrong (and link to the thread that told you this so we can stop bad information from flowing). Do exactly what jasonbrass above told you to do, set that config the Mobile Network Only; this setting is for your *voice* service (aka UMA).

The BB will use WiFi for web browsing and data on it's own - when you launch the Browser just look in the upper right corner - if it says EDGE you're on GSM, if it says WiFi well... you're on WiFi. You do not need to configure anything for this to work, it's built right into the OS.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Marin

Model: 8820
Carrier: Orange

this is the thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...me-office.html
Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #7
xploit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320T
Carrier: T-Mobile-Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronbrass View Post
Yes there is. Go to Options -> Mobile Network -> Connection. Choose "Mobile Network Only." This will allow you to connect to a WiFi network and enjoy the higher data speeds, but will only allow calls to go over the regular GSM network.
wow thanks im not using UMA anymore....but lots of data this will help!!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up good to know

Thanks. I've (and other bbf members with the same problem of dropped calls on wi-fi) been manually turning wi-fi off when using the phone! D'oh! I didn't realize that "mobile network only"was for the phone service and didn't affect data. Cool! Now I can take "Manage connections" off my left convenience key and use it for lock, address book or media.

Last edited by PCgirl; 10-11-2007 at 01:31 AM..
Old 10-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #9
PCgirl

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Actually, in that thread you didn't specify that you don't want to use wi-fi for voice, so the info given wasn't incorrect. Or am I missing something?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
Helmdawg

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...

I know this has been repeated over and over again but if you don't have the T-Mobile router, I would try it out. It helped my call drop issue and you cannot beat the price $49.99 + rebate = Free. Give it a whirl if you haven't already...
Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
rivviepop

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
Thanks. I've (and other bbf members with the same problem of dropped calls on wi-fi) been manually turning wi-fi off when using the phone! D'oh! I didn't realize that "mobile network only"was for the phone service and didn't affect data. Cool! Now I can take "Manage connections" off my left convenience key and use it for lock, address book or media.
Offtopic: I had to get over this hurdle as well after being yelled at (friendly-like) by Stinsondogg - go turn off "Dialing from Home Screen" and you get a kabillion shortcuts with your keyboard. 'k' will lock your keys for you, 'a' will bring up Address Book and so forth. Now that I've done it I can't see going back, they're way too useful - my left convenience key is my Task Switcher.

$0.02.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #12
PCgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Offtopic: I had to get over this hurdle as well after being yelled at (friendly-like) by Stinsondogg - go turn off "Dialing from Home Screen" and you get a kabillion shortcuts with your keyboard. 'k' will lock your keys for you, 'a' will bring up Address Book and so forth. Now that I've done it I can't see going back, they're way too useful - my left convenience key is my Task Switcher.

$0.02.
Don't know why I didn't do that sooner. I liked the speed dial from the home screen -- until I forgot to put it on standby and kept dialing random people because I kept leaning on the Curve (it's on a lanyard).
Old 10-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
PCgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
Are you guys sure this puts it on wi-fi mode for data? Not to disagree with you or anything, but now that I have it on that setting, I noticed my browsing takes a tiny bit longer and than when I checked wi-fi connections, it was set to off -- as in COMPLETELY off.

But, no dropped calls.