Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
mhab12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Basic redirector question

Please Login to Remove!

Will Redirector forward all mail that comes to my outlook inbox (all pop3)? I've read in some posts that you need to be using exchange for redirector to work. Is that true? Also I've installed the software though I don't have a BB yet, looks like it'll do just what I want, however in the RedirectorSettings /Advanced/Account field it has listed only one of my account's email addresses. I've searched through my outlook settings but can't determine why this particular account is listed there, or why all of my accounts aren't listed. What is this field and what effect does modifying it have?

Read all the posts but can't pin one down for a good 'feature list' or something like it for redirector.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
OrcP

Model: 7780

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhab12
Will Redirector forward all mail that comes to my outlook inbox (all pop3)? I've read in some posts that you need to be using exchange for redirector to work. Is that true? Also I've installed the software though I don't have a BB yet, looks like it'll do just what I want, however in the RedirectorSettings /Advanced/Account field it has listed only one of my account's email addresses. I've searched through my outlook settings but can't determine why this particular account is listed there, or why all of my accounts aren't listed. What is this field and what effect does modifying it have?

Read all the posts but can't pin one down for a good 'feature list' or something like it for redirector.

Thanks
Redirector does require a connection to an Exchange mailbox to properly redirect email. The redirector can only ever redirect from 1 email account, you will not find a setting to override that. It sounds like you would be better off using the blackberry internet service that should be offered from your service provider. You can have up to 10 pop3 accounts being redirected from there.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
mhab12

Not true - I now use the redirector to redirect email from 3 different POP accounts with no signs of exchange ANYWHERE in my setup. I use Outlook 2003. All the mail that comes into outlook immediately gets sent out to my BB, only problem I have run into so far is that my junk mail which outlook usually pulls out also gets forwarded. No way to fix it that I know of because that happens after outlook initially retrieves the mail.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
n2bass

Model: 7520

I also use redirector with a POP account. The customer support guy says it won't work but it works great. I have set up about 50 BB's of all different kinds in our company and I use to get all kinds off errors trying to get redirector to work. If you run scanpst.exe before insallation of the BB software, everything works great.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
jasbart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Not true - I now use the redirector to redirect email from 3 different POP accounts with no signs of exchange ANYWHERE in my setup. I use Outlook 2003. All the mail that comes into outlook immediately gets sent out to my BB, only problem I have run into so far is that my junk mail which outlook usually pulls out also gets forwarded. No way to fix it that I know of because that happens after outlook initially retrieves the mail.

I have just gotten off the phone with Microsoft tech support, and was informed that the only redirect option (not Forwarding) for Outlook 2003 is with Exchange Accounts (not POP accounts.) Can you please inform us how you did this setup? It would be a big help!

Thanks very much,
Jim
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
mhab12

I use Outlook 2003 and have my 3 pop accounts delievered to a local pst file which is my personal folders (has my calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.) I installed the desktop software choosing the options that i want to use the redirector for mail and fired it up and viola - i was a bit surprised myself after reading all the "you can't do that" posts that float around here. You have to choose your outlook profile when you go into the redirector settings through desktop manager - it is on the advanced tab. I've found it a little finike to get up and running. I think that the correct combination that things must be started is 1 Outlook 2 Desktop manager 3 redirector. For me this seems to be the only way to get it all working properly.

As for it's function, it works great. I get all my mail (junk mail included) forwarded to my BB as soon as it comes in on the next outlook send/receive (set this short for best results). I can delete things on my handheld and I have set the option to delete on desktop and on handheld, so when I plug in and auto-synch, i don't have to deal with messages twice. Hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
sabre

Model: 8900
Carrier: att

Quote:
I use Outlook 2003 and have my 3 pop accounts delievered to a local pst file which is my personal folders (has my calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.) I installed the desktop software choosing the options that i want to use the redirector for mail and fired it up and viola - i was a bit surprised myself after reading all the "you can't do that" posts that float around here. You have to choose your outlook profile when you go into the redirector settings through desktop manager - it is on the advanced tab. I've found it a little finike to get up and running. I think that the correct combination that things must be started is 1 Outlook 2 Desktop manager 3 redirector. For me this seems to be the only way to get it all working properly.

As for it's function, it works great. I get all my mail (junk mail included) forwarded to my BB as soon as it comes in on the next outlook send/receive (set this short for best results). I can delete things on my handheld and I have set the option to delete on desktop and on handheld, so when I plug in and auto-synch, i don't have to deal with messages twice. Hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion. Let me know if you have any more questions.
But doesnt that mean you can only get email when outlook and redirector are running? meaing you need to keep you pc on 24/7
Old 06-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
mhab12

correct
Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
ashoush

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

No matter how you set up redirector it must always be running, whether you are using POP3 or exchange. You MUST leave the computer that is running Redirector on 24/7 if you would like to always get your emails.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
dyzs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9100
Carrier: TMO

Quote:

Are you able to view attachments through this method?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #11
mhab12

No, no attachments through redirector. You have to email your blackberry directly or have exchange/BES to get attachments remotely.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:59 PM   #12
dyzs

Why no attachments through redirector? I thought it's like BES light? I guess I could always forward the email to my BB's address and get the attachments that way.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:50 PM   #13
dyzs

Any luck getting this to work with IMAP or will it only work with POP?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #14
forrestc

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I haven't tried it with IMAP yet, but it should work. It seems to me that Redirector uses hooks into Outlook, not the mailbox.

I can try it if you get in a pinch if you can't get pop working to verify redirector is functioning properly. PM me if you have ?s.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Redirector uses MAPI calls. It talks to the mailbox.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:21 PM   #16
dyzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Redirector uses MAPI calls. It talks to the mailbox.
Will it work on IMAP also or just POP?
Old 09-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

It should not work with IMAP.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:38 PM   #18
dyzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
It should not work with IMAP.
It's not supposed to work with POP either. It makes sense that it won't work with IMAP since it may or may not download the entire email, just the headers, whereas POP downlaods the entire message.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #19
forrestc

Model: 8830

Best way to check is going to be setting up a desktop and trying it - can't hurt anything.

RIM support and several threads on the forum said that POP wouldn't work, but it does.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #20
rattleme

Model: 8100

I cannot get this to work? I just reinstalled the Desktop with redirector and i still get this microsoft error whenever I try and open the desktop redirector?? What is going on with my bb? I have a pop3 email i run through outlook 2003 and i cannot get this to work like everyone says?
Closed Thread