BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Were you able to use the application successfully?
Yes 305 86.65%
No 47 13.35%
Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #1321
nyubi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: whateva

Please Login to Remove!

pm sent.. because email address seem failed, got replied permanent error, DNS unresolved

thanks.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:58 PM   #1322
kyububba
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyubi View Post
pm sent.. because email address seem failed, got replied permanent error, DNS unresolved

thanks.
it's [email address], not .net
Old 04-26-2007, 04:00 AM   #1323
nyubi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: whateva

ah' thanks.. should i sent an email again or waiting for your PM since you're online now ?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #1324
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Question:

I have Minutes to Idle set to 3 minutes. When I am idle (more than 3 minutes) others never see me as Idle on their AIM. Can someone explain why?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #1325
BroadcastDoc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Slightly off-topic, but I feel needs to be said...

What's with all of the "We should get it for free" or "free upgrades forever" or "I won't buy it if it's priced like..." comments?

Do you not realize the time, money, and effort put into this? Not to mention the bandwidth and server costs involved with maintaining this application?

If you use the app for five years, they have to pay the costs of server and bandwidth for you for five years. Granted there are some economies of scale, but there are still costs.

I see a lot of cheap something-for-nothing types here. That's fine, there are lesser programs out there that are free. Go get 'em.

But realize that beejive is doing something special here. They are crafting an excellent piece of software for the Blackberry - something that there hasn't been a lot of. No matter what the price, I'm sure they will have figured in not only the cost to build and support it, but a little extra to make it worth the effort. You may think it may be too much, and you have that right. You also have the option to not purchase it and find something else for your needs. Any software company knows that if they charge too much, everyone loses.

The bottom line here is we want to encourage innovation such as what we're seeing here. Nothing kills that faster than users demanding that someone write some exceptional code, yet sell it in a way to at best break even, or at worst, lose money.

It will cost what it costs. Be patient, and enjoy the beta. If you don't like the pricing, you don't have to buy it. You aren't out anything.

I can tell you that this software has become valuable enough for me that I'd pay whatever their competition is charging, and probably then some. It's worth it.

I'll get off of my soapbox now.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #1326
rkkeller

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I totally disagree. When the Beta first started it was said by the developers it was going to be FREE. Then it was they might charge and now its they are going to charge by the month and/or a one time price.

All ShapeServices products have a one time fee with lifetime updates and just about every other BB software that I purchased has likewise.

FWIW, I already started slowing my use of JT as I am not about to pay a monthly fee for any program or any reason. I can use WebMessenger with 10x the features if I wanted to pay a monthly fee. Once the RIM AIM gets the service books I probably will stop using JT all together if the charge is high.

Last edited by rkkeller; 04-26-2007 at 09:36 PM..
Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #1327
Michbb

PIN: 23FAA477
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
I totally disagree. When the Beta first started it was said by the developers it was going to be FREE. Then it was they might charge and now its they are going to charge by the month and/or a one time price.

All ShapeServices products have a one time fee with lifetime updates and just about every other BB software that I purchased has likewise.

FWIW, I already started slowing my use of JT as I am not about to pay a monthly fee for any program or any reason. I can use WebMessenger with 10x the features if I wanted to pay a monthly fee.
No offense but I don't recall anywhere that it's stated this program would be free. From what I can tell a few people made the statement that it would be great if this was free.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #1328
rkkeller

Looks like they tried to hide it but here is the EXACT quote from the very first post looking for testers months ago:

We're developing a free multi-client (AIM, GTalk, ICQ, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo) IM client. The application uses your data connection so as long as you have an unlimited data plan, it should be free to you.

The program is in beta testing and we're actively looking for feedback from real users. If anyone is interested in trying out the app, please shoot me a private message and I can send you the install info.

Thanks,
GQ NYC
Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #1329
rkkeller

Here is also the thread it is in:

Looking for beta testers for new multi-client IM application - RIM Blackberry Forums - Pinstack.com

I hope people look before they change it like whats happened to the "free" part in all the other threads.

Last edited by rkkeller; 04-26-2007 at 09:44 PM..
Old 04-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #1330
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

Quote:
Looks like they tried to hide it but here is the EXACT quote from the very first post looking for testers months ago:

We're developing a free multi-client (AIM, GTalk, ICQ, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo) IM client. The application uses your data connection so as long as you have an unlimited data plan, it should be free to you.

The program is in beta testing and we're actively looking for feedback from real users. If anyone is interested in trying out the app, please shoot me a private message and I can send you the install info.

Thanks,
GQ NYC

I would be happy to get the program for free. However, I do not mind to pay for the program if the cost is reasonable.

If someone don't like it, or it is too expensive, or they don't want to pay for any reasons, this program might not be for them to use.

Ain't everything using the beta program without being charged a penny at all?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #1331
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Question:

I have Minutes to Idle set to 3 minutes. When I am idle (more than 3 minutes) others never see me as Idle on their AIM. Can someone explain why?
I believe the idle is for "battery saving" purpose and it might not change the status of your IM.

You might want to send a email to their support to get verification.

Last edited by plchan; 04-26-2007 at 09:54 PM..
Old 04-26-2007, 09:53 PM   #1332
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
FWIW, I already started slowing my use of JT as I am not about to pay a monthly fee for any program or any reason. I can use WebMessenger with 10x the features if I wanted to pay a monthly fee. Once the RIM AIM gets the service books I probably will stop using JT all together if the charge is high.
Good for you!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #1333
BroadcastDoc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Here is also the thread it is in:

Looking for beta testers for new multi-client IM application - RIM Blackberry Forums - Pinstack.com

I hope people look before they change it like whats happened to the "free" part in all the other threads.
So they decided to charge for it. So what? Last I checked there was nothing wrong with changing your mind...it's beta software, which is always subject to change. Maybe they thought that they could support it for free, and then realized that it just couldn't happen. There is no requirement that you use it.

You've completely missed the point here. You're absolutely free to come up with a free, competing product if you'd like.

Last edited by BroadcastDoc; 04-26-2007 at 10:06 PM..
Old 04-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #1334
Micey

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

PM Sent
Old 04-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #1335
MyPearl

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadcastDoc View Post
So they decided to charge for it. So what? Last I checked there was nothing wrong with changing your mind...it's beta software, which is always subject to change. Maybe they thought that they could support it for free, and then realized that it just couldn't happen. There is no requirement that you use it.

You've completely missed the point here. You're absolutely free to come up with a free, competing product if you'd like.

OK i recall the FREE part and that is why i signed up... I invested a lot of time in sending constructive feedback like others did here. So we are all helping...

and to be fair, it would have been "nice" to let people know that the word free is being deleted and they intend to charge money. I am not attacking JT but just asking for a little more communication. or maybe i missed it in the millions of posts?
Old 04-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #1336
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by plchan View Post
I believe the idle is for "battery saving" purpose and it might not change the status of your IM.

You might want to send a email to their support to get verification.
Okay that makes sense. However when I used Ramble there was an Auto-Away setting that changed your status when holstered. If kyububba is reading this maybe he can comment. Always a nice feature to have auto-away status.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:06 AM   #1337
kyububba

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

This has been requested a few times, so we'll likely add it. Though to do it right there needs to be a preference to configure the behavior when holstered (idle versus away), ability to enable or disable it. And if it's away for AIM at least you'd want a configurable away message.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #1338
jimispier
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: prick
Carrier: T-mobile
Talking

I have a question... Why is your software so freaking cool?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyububba View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

This has been requested a few times, so we'll likely add it. Though to do it right there needs to be a preference to configure the behavior when holstered (idle versus away), ability to enable or disable it. And if it's away for AIM at least you'd want a configurable away message.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:46 AM   #1339
kyububba

Quote:

Thanks,
GQ NYC
1. We did originally intend to keep it free, but couldn't make the economics of it work out. Along the way we have updated the state of things on this thread and on others. Hopefully we've been forthcoming and fair. The first posting on this thread was changed to reflect the current state of things (it would have been more unfair and misleading otherwise).
2. The thread you're quoting was not started by us, but by an enthusiastic user. So we don't have the ability to change it.
3. The beta has been free. We have not charged anything thus far and have not even announced the pricing. Once we announce the pricing (and we have never mentioned anything about a monthly charge), you are certainly free to decide whether it's fair.
4. If you've already bought a competitor's product, we certainly hope that you continue to use the product and get the most out of your investment. Obviously, we'd welcome your business, but have no expectation that you should open up your pocketbook again for our product. At the same time, we're under no obligation to structure our pricing in the same way a competitor does.

Again, as I have mentioned a few posts before. We think the pricing will be very reasonable.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:49 AM   #1340
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyububba View Post
1. We did originally intend to keep it free, but couldn't make the economics of it work out. Along the way we have updated the state of things on this thread and on others. Hopefully we've been forthcoming and fair. The first posting on this thread was changed to reflect the current state of things (it would have been more unfair and misleading otherwise).
2. The thread you're quoting was not started by us, but by an enthusiastic user. So we don't have the ability to change it.
3. The beta has been free. We have not charged anything thus far and have not even announced the pricing. Once we announce the pricing (and we have never mentioned anything about a monthly charge), you are certainly free to decide whether it's fair.
4. If you've already bought a competitor's product, we certainly hope that you continue to use the product and get the most out of your investment. Obviously, we'd welcome your business, but have no expectation that you should open up your pocketbook again for our product. At the same time, we're under no obligation to structure our pricing in the same way a competitor does.

Again, as I have mentioned a few posts before. We think the pricing will be very reasonable.

All I have to say is..

Keep up the excellent job! When the price is right and the product is ready, I will be the one who purchase it.