CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
this sounds like a cool app....

it would be nice if there was a feature of the app to allow it to periodically send position data to an email address...(in case the phone gets lost)
I had similiar idea, however I want it to be a seperate application.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #162
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormboy View Post
I finally had a chance to try the new "Save current Location" and "Load a Location", and it's really fun!
I am happy when you are! and thanks a lot for your valuable feedback!

I had a couple more ideas:

Quote:
When I am less than a mile away, GPSLogger shows that I am "4285 feet" away from my target location, for example. I think it would be easier to understand distance in feet for anything less than, perhaps, 1000 feet. Anything greater than 1000 feet would be easier to understand in miles (ex. 0.81 miles for the above example).
can we agree that everything above 2500feet will be displayed as 0.xx miles?

Quote:
- Is there a way to edit a Location? For example, if I misspelled "geocache near the mall" when I first saved the location, I can't change any Location info, especially if I am no longer near the original location. (Sounds like a stupid example, and I'm sure someone else can come up with a better example)
Not yet - bust this can be implemented for sure...

Quote:
Is there a way to export a Location? Perhaps as a GPX and/or KML (Google Earth) point?
also on the to do list...

Quote:
When my BlackBerry Storm is horizontal (ie. landscape view), the text of the directions (ex. "10ft 180º S") overlaps the image of the compass. I'm not sure if the compass should be smaller in landscape view?
actually that's by "purpose" - I used the outline font for the text - I thought it would be quite fine since the most important information (the arrow) will be always visible...

Quote:
I'm not sure if you've seen the competition, but there's an iPhone app for geocaching that's very similar to what you've come up with for "View: Direction". Looks like it has just a little more information displayed on its screen. Would this be useful or easy to add?
- might be not that "easy" but indeed the lon/lat values of the destination can be quite useful!

Quote:
- The Trimble Geocache Navigator also has a very simple Radar screen that shows the relative location between you and your target location. Looks like the target location is always in the center of the screen, and your location is shown relative to the target. Is this easy to make, too?
well - actually I am not sure if I want to write another Geocache app (blackstar ist quite nice for that)... but this radar view can be also quite useful for the "Bring Me Home"-Mode... we will see

Quote:
-Edit: - just one more idea. Is there a way to manually add a new location (ex. the GPS coordinates for a new location)?
I am not sure, if I am going to implement such a feature - since this would really the first step to a Geocache app (which I currently does not like to implement)... but what I already had in mind, that it's possible to send your friend a SMS with your current location and then you will be guided into his direction [should work in both directions]... but that is really just a raw idea...

Once again thanks for your feedback!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #163
don.new

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just my vote for feet elevation - mountains are always feet (or meters) and not miles. Metric system follows similiarly, meters and not km.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #164
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.new View Post
Just my vote for feet elevation - mountains are always feet (or meters) and not miles. Metric system follows similiarly, meters and not km.
elevation should be always displayed in feet/meter in GPSLogger already - if not be so kind and let me know, where this is not the case - TIA
Old 05-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #165
stormboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9350
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks so much for reading my ideas. I just hope that other people will also find them helpful as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1 View Post
can we agree that everything above 2500feet will be displayed as 0.xx miles?
The reason I suggested 1000 feet is because the freeways usually post distances to exit as "1/2 mile to exit", "1/4 mile", "1000 feet", and "500 feet". At least for me, it's a little easier to picture a distance of "1/2 mile" compared to "2500 feet", even though both represent approximately the same distance. Does anyone else feel the same way about distances, too? Or is it just me?

Quote:
well - actually I am not sure if I want to write another Geocache app (blackstar ist quite nice for that)... but this radar view can be also quite useful for the "Bring Me Home"-Mode... we will see
I completely forgot about Blackstar! I have it on my BlackBerry, but I rarely use it. You're right that some of the new functions are starting to overlap a little bit with Blackstar...but maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Actually, if GPSLogger becomes more and more like a geocaching app, then people will want you to connect it to geocaching databases, like geocaching.com. I'd imagine THAT'S a lot of extra work.

I have one more question. Is it possible to view a tracklog (or GPX file) in BlackBerry Google Maps? I don't think I've ever seen this function from anyone else before.

Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #166
BassBoneBerry

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

When I try too open it on my Blackberry Curve, it says "Error starting 'net_rim_m2g' not found". Can anybody help?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #167
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBoneBerry View Post
When I try too open it on my Blackberry Curve, it says "Error starting 'net_rim_m2g' not found". Can anybody help?
did you installed the right version for your Phone OS?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #168
emacf1

GPSLogger update to 0.6.0
first step to a GeoCache capable application

What's New?
  • Specify your custom path names when start logging (can be enabled by 'Specify own Path names' in the options)
  • Editing path names (via Path Manager)
  • Create a new location (via Location Manager) - specify name, lat & lon value [the first step into a GeoCache app]
  • Edit name of existing locations (via Location Manager)
  • Direction View for OS4.2.1+ will show heading to 'N' (beside the direction to go)
  • Direction View will show "estimated time of arrival" (depends from the current speed)
  • Location details dialog will show the distance to your current location
  • Import of KML Path (additional to GPX import)
  • ... much more ...
  • New Shortcuts in Path Manager
  • New Shortcuts in Location Manager

The GPSLogger v0.6.0 contains a lot of more changes - all the details can be found at the GPSLogger change log webpage

Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

Matthias
Old 06-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #169
sqpdbill

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
even if I assume, that F2 and FF2 are equal logins...
  1. go to the options dialog and specify the Export Format(s)
  2. from the main screen select 'Manage Paths (prev. recorded)'
  3. now you should see all your saved Paths
  4. now select the Path you would like to export and choose either: 'Export Path to Filesystem' or 'Export Path via Email' from the Menu. Please note, that the 'Export Path via Email' item is only visible, when you have specified a recipient in the options dialogue.

I hope this clarify the function.

Matthias
I cannot find saved paths! From the options screen I identified both KML and GPX after building a path and "stop logging" , "save current location", but then no fpath shows up in Path Manager, or Location Manager???
Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #170
topdog9000

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

Just a question to anyone who might know...While on an airplane phones need to me in "airplane mode" however there are certain devices that are allowed to be in use when in flight. A gps is allowed. Since this program doesnt need internet or the network, can it be used in airplane mode where its just using the gps? Itd be very interesting to track a flight.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #171
sqpdbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog9000 View Post
Just a question to anyone who might know...While on an airplane phones need to me in "airplane mode" however there are certain devices that are allowed to be in use when in flight. A gps is allowed. Since this program doesnt need internet or the network, can it be used in airplane mode where its just using the gps? Itd be very interesting to track a flight.
I am not positive, but when you put your phone into "airplane" mode it turns off all radios. So if you do that and the GPS still works it should be no problem. GPS does not send a signal, only receive one.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #172
topdog9000

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

Just tried it out. Even with all radios turned off (airplane mode) the gps was still able to function. Nice!!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #173
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqpdbill View Post
I cannot find saved paths! From the options screen I identified both KML and GPX after building a path and "stop logging" , "save current location", but then no fpath shows up in Path Manager, or Location Manager???
I assume the path you specified as path directory is some how not accessible - there is a short description how to specify the path in a secure way:

In the GPSLogger Options:

You can specify a 'Path Directory' for GPSLogger.

You can either manually type the path of your path directory or you move the cursor into the text input field and press the #Menu Button of your device and select the menu item: Browse for 'path directory' . Now you can browse over your device filesystem (only directories will be displayed) and go to your wanted path directory. Please note, you have to go into the directory you would like to have as path directory. Once you have reached the directory of your choice select from the menu the item Select directory . This will close the directory browser and brings you back to the options dialog with the selected directory path in the 'Path Directory' text input field.

Please note, that the Menu Item Browse for 'Path directory' is only visible once the cursor is in the 'Path Directory' text input field.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #174
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog9000
In any case I would first ask the flight attended before turning on any electronic device... Even if the GPS-Antenna is a "receiving" data antenna only (compared to the sending & receiving Antenna of the mobile phone) it still could cause problems... in the past I was not allowed to use portable DVD-players - or my good old gameboy - I don't know if that have recently changed...

But I also have seen already gpl files that must have been recorded during commercial airline flights.

Last edited by emacf1; 06-02-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #175
sqpdbill

Quote:
I assume the path you specified as path directory is some how not accessible - there is a short description how to specify the path in a secure way:

In the GPSLogger Options:

You can specify a 'Path Directory' for GPSLogger.

You can either manually type the path of your path directory or you move the cursor into the text input field and press the #Menu Button of your device and select the menu item: Browse for 'path directory' . Now you can browse over your device filesystem (only directories will be displayed) and go to your wanted path directory. Please note, you have to go into the directory you would like to have as path directory. Once you have reached the directory of your choice select from the menu the item Select directory . This will close the directory browser and brings you back to the options dialog with the selected directory path in the 'Path Directory' text input field.

Please note, that the Menu Item Browse for 'Path directory' is only visible once the cursor is in the 'Path Directory' text input field.
Thank you, that was my problem.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #176
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog9000 View Post
Just tried it out. Even with all radios turned off (airplane mode) the gps was still able to function. Nice!!
Unless you use a bluetooth (radio send/receive) puck as a gps. That would be a no-no
Old 06-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #177
emacf1

GPSLogger update to 0.6.1

What's New?
  • Export of Path will show Progress-Bar

What's Fixed?
  • Path, Elevation & Speed Views will show always all named Locations
  • KML-Import fixed (negative values)
  • Possible HangUp fix when exporting long paths

Please note, that I have moved all the content to a new domain: http://www.emacberry.com [bb.emacf1.com does not exist any longer]

That's also the reason, that you will get an Information when updating to the new Version [a module with the same name (GPSLogger) exist] - simply continue by pressing "OK".

Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Matthias
Old 06-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #178
emacf1

GPSLogger News

What's New?
Matthias
Old 06-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #179
jeh511

Model: 9000
Carrier: Al Jawwal Net Saudi Arabia
Default gps loggers can;t download in my BB

pls help someone,, im in saudi arabia .. i want to download gpsloggers .. it says XML is not well formed,... what seems to be the problem my ... server is Jawwal net in Saudi Arabia..
Old 06-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #180
emacf1

... then try to Download the DesktopManager Installer ZIP file