Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
harveyjc_2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 8120 with UMA

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone successfully using an 8120 with UMA...?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Korexz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
PIN: 2576D674

Do you mean 8130?

The 8130 is CDMA, and T-Mobile is the only state side provider I know of that has UMA (@home).
Old 12-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

8120 is out overseas. It is a GSM/WiFi Pearl.

My opinion/guess is that it will not work properly, and T-Mobile will not have published service books for Wifi based 81xx models. Same situation as when AT&T came out with the 8300 (Curve) before T-Mobile, and it didn't quite work properly.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
jboston511

Model: 8120!

At this point it does not work. I purchased and 8120 a few days ago and everything works perfectly, except for the uma. I spent a few hours on the phone with t-mobile and RIM tech support and at this point they say its a no go, RIM is supossed to call me back in the next few days and check if I've had a resolution to the situation. Apparently its a service book issue, and since the phone is not yet supported by T-Mobile there is no service book to make it work. I'm trying a few things to see if its possible to get the proper files on to my crackberry so uma will work. If I have any luck I'll let you guys know, or if someone knows how to make it work I'd appreciate some input.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboston511 View Post
At this point it does not work. I purchased and 8120 a few days ago and everything works perfectly, except for the uma. I spent a few hours on the phone with t-mobile and RIM tech support and at this point they say its a no go, RIM is supossed to call me back in the next few days and check if I've had a resolution to the situation. Apparently its a service book issue, and since the phone is not yet supported by T-Mobile there is no service book to make it work. I'm trying a few things to see if its possible to get the proper files on to my crackberry so uma will work. If I have any luck I'll let you guys know, or if someone knows how to make it work I'd appreciate some input.
Please do keep us updated I am very interested. Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
jboston511

After playing around with files I dont really know what to do now, still not working. I have a few ideas but I'm not particularly savvy with programing. I was taking a look at the last OS for the 8320, and 8120 that I downloaded. I'm sure burried in those files somewhere is the answer.

Would anyone know if, where, how, to check the 8320 software to find the actual programing for the t-mobile @home service? I'm sure that if this coding could be found it could be placed in the associated file for the 8120. Theoretically it sounds like it would work. Would anyone know how to do that?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Have you had them setup your account as if you have an 8320 and then push those service books out to the device? I wouldn't think a service book for UMA would be device family dependent, but I could be wrong on that.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
jboston511

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTaX View Post
Have you had them setup your account as if you have an 8320 and then push those service books out to the device? I wouldn't think a service book for UMA would be device family dependent, but I could be wrong on that.
RIM and T-Mobile said that there was no way to just send the service book, which I dont really see why they couldn't just do that. Their answer is because that software is hard wired into the device itself, therefore can't be sent out.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

On my 8320 there are two wifi service books:
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser

Those are pretty standard, I believe, as there are the same two for wap.

My guess is that it has more to do with the certificates that are loaded to the device than service books or software.
Closed Thread