Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
kd78
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile
Default How do you launch WiFi Browser vs. normal EDGE browser on tmo 8320

Please Login to Remove!

How do you launch the wifi browser vs. the normal edge browser on the tmo 8320?

There is not a different icon to launch a "wifi browser" and the only thing I can find is the ability to default which browser is launched. I don't really see a difference in the browser functionality when I change the default to wifi rather than the normal internet browser.

Am I missing something?

Also, if you are connected to a wifi network, does the browser automatically use wifi even if you have the browser default set to "internet browser" rather than "wifi browser"?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd78 View Post
How do you launch the wifi browser vs. the normal edge browser on the tmo 8320?

There is not a different icon to launch a "wifi browser" and the only thing I can find is the ability to default which browser is launched. I don't really see a difference in the browser functionality when I change the default to wifi rather than the normal internet browser.

Am I missing something?

Also, if you are connected to a wifi network, does the browser automatically use wifi even if you have the browser default set to "internet browser" rather than "wifi browser"?
It automatically uses the WiFi Profile. The speed is great.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
kd78

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post
It automatically uses the WiFi Profile. The speed is great.
Ok so it does automatically use the wifi profile. But, I don't see any new features in the browser when using wifi. Anyone found anything other than speed of loading pages and images?

Kind of a let down as I was hoping for a bit of a more advanced browser. Opera 4 beta 2 works well over wifi but I was expecting a RIM updated browser.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

I don't think you're missing anything, I'm trying to wrap my brain around this as well. What I have found is that if you set the bookmark to be Internet Browser, it will use WiFi if it's on; however if you have a bookmark as WiFi, it will *not* work if wifi is not on at all. So, leave your generic bookmarks as Internet Browser and they should go Wifi on you when available.

I only have one (new) bookmark set to WiFi, it's an internal webserver on my home LAN which doesn't work without wifi on...
Old 09-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

I have only seen speed increase. I have not found any other great features yet.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
I don't think you're missing anything, I'm trying to wrap my brain around this as well. What I have found is that if you set the bookmark to be Internet Browser, it will use WiFi if it's on; however if you have a bookmark as WiFi, it will *not* work if wifi is not on at all. So, leave your generic bookmarks as Internet Browser and they should go Wifi on you when available.

I only have one (new) bookmark set to WiFi, it's an internal webserver on my home LAN which doesn't work without wifi on...
Hi,

My only options were Wi-Fi browser and T-Zones (I have wi-fi set up but don't need H@H). No "internet browser". Am I missing something? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
Hi,

My only options were Wi-Fi browser and T-Zones (I have wi-fi set up but don't need H@H). No "internet browser". Am I missing something? Thanks.
Yeah - try logging into http://my.t-mobile.com/ and resending your Service Books to the device. 'Internet Browser' only appears after the proper service book has been received by your device (any BlackBerry, not just the 8320).
Old 09-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
Markell3000

PIN: 241EC308
Carrier: T-Mobile

How do i use the web browser without connecting to wifi? is that even possible
Old 09-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markell3000 View Post
How do i use the web browser without connecting to wifi? is that even possible
... turn the Wifi off? Seems pretty simple.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
zero7404

Carrier: tmob

general question, if you wish to surf the net with wifi and you have a wifi setup other than h@h, will the bb allow you to do that ?

so if i'm getting this straight, if you don't pay for the h@h service, the only thing your missing out on is the free calls when you make/get them in the h@h wifi zone ?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
Markell3000

PIN: 241EC308

Quote:
... turn the Wifi off? Seems pretty simple.
It does, but when I dod that a message appears that states, "this is a wifi service, please verify a wifi connection, turn it on", what gives?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
general question, if you wish to surf the net with wifi and you have a wifi setup other than h@h, will the bb allow you to do that ?
Correct, I do not have H@H and have connected and browsed on several wifi access points - works great. I even have UMA disabled via wifi (mobile network -> connection preference -> mobile network only) on my device, so I only have regular wifi browsing.

Quote:
so if i'm getting this straight, if you don't pay for the h@h service, the only thing your missing out on is the free calls when you make/get them in the h@h wifi zone ?
I do believe that is the case - I received one call via UMA on my home network prior to disabling it. Other threads than this one have good information regarding this deal, though - don't take my word for it.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #13
zero7404

Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Correct, I do not have H@H and have connected and browsed on several wifi access points - works great. I even have UMA disabled via wifi (mobile network -> connection preference -> mobile network only) on my device, so I only have regular wifi browsing.
thanks for the insight. so let me get this straight: since the phone can access the internet via wifi, a data plan with tmo would not be necessary. essentially the same as an ipod touch (i know it's a bad word around here, i don't like it either....for comparison only, ok ?) where you set it up to access the network you want and you're set to surf. but then again, if you don't get a data plan with your bb, you don't get your instant email, right ?

Quote:
I do believe that is the case - I received one call via UMA on my home network prior to disabling it. Other threads than this one have good information regarding this deal, though - don't take my word for it.
stupid question, but what does every1 mean by "UMA" ? if you don't have h@h, and you get a call while you're at home surfing the net on your wifi connection (on the bb of course), will the phone auto-switch to edge so you can receive the call ?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
thanks for the insight. so let me get this straight: since the phone can access the internet via wifi, a data plan with tmo would not be necessary.
That seems like a reasonable conclusion, but I can't verify it.

Quote:
if you don't get a data plan with your bb, you don't get your instant email, right ?
Not correct. Email uses BIS, which is *not* the same as a "data plan". T-Mobile has a new plan that's $10 to give you BIS access but does not include generic data:

reference:
Unsupported Browser

Quote:
stupid question, but what does every1 mean by "UMA" ? if you don't have h@h, and you get a call while you're at home surfing the net on your wifi connection (on the bb of course), will the phone auto-switch to edge so you can receive the call ?
please search, UMA has been discussed to death on BBF in all the sub-forums - there are tons and tons of threads with all the info you need.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #15
kd78

Wirelessly posted (8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

By the way, I found a new menu that says "change browser" which allows you to switch browser types between wifi, internet, and tzones on the fly. This is the closest I have fouind to having different icons to launch the different types of browsers.

To find this menu, launch your browser then press "g" to pop up the GO TO menu. From here press the blackberry button and you will see the CHANGE BROWSER option.

This seems to simplify things a little since you no longer have to change your default settings to switch between browser types. Now the question remains, is there any additional functionality other than wifi data between the different browsers?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 AM   #16
rivviepop

Quote:
Now the question remains, is there any additional functionality other than wifi data between the different browsers?
From me, I haven't found anything so far - perhaps it could be something we don't see as a config option, like the quality of images or some other mundane difference. I do have one wifi-only bookmark (for home LAN/webserver) which is handy - when I try and use the bookmark with EDGE it stops me with an error dialog "this is wifi only" or similar.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #17
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
To find this menu, launch your browser then press "g" to pop up the GO TO menu. From here press the blackberry button and you will see the CHANGE BROWSER option.
BTW, this stumped me for a while. When I launch my browser from the home screen I am in my bookmarks window and typing g does not bring up the GoTo menu, instead it searches for bookmarks containing the letter 'g'. The "press g to get to the GoTo menu" trick only works if I am looking at a web page already.

But, that's a cool trick ('g' for GoTo) and I'm glad I know it now...
Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #18
kd78

Wirelessly posted (8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar
Quote:
BTW, this stumped me for a while. When I launch my browser from the home screen I am in my bookmarks window and typing g does not bring up the GoTo menu, instead it searches for bookmarks containing the letter 'g'. The "press g to get to the GoTo menu" trick only works if I am looking at a web page already.

But, that's a cool trick ('g' for GoTo) and I'm glad I know it now...
You are exactly correct. Pressing G from the launch page does take you to bookmarks. To get to the change browser menu, first get to the GOTO screen then press the blackberry menu button.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
rivviepop

Quote:
You are exactly correct. Pressing G from the launch page does take you to bookmarks. To get to the change browser menu, first get to the GOTO screen then press the blackberry menu button.
That is one slick little feature, thanks for sharing - I never thought to even try pressing the Menu key (as it's rightly called ) when at that screen. Awesome!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #20
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: z10

i just got my curve today... and i got a lot of things working on it... and i thought wifi internet was working as well...

everything was there, i was able to connect, and as soon as i did, the words wifi were bolded and the letters UMA would appear.

and when i started to browse, instead of edge, it would say wifi... but the speed was the exact same as edge. no difference from what i could tell.

and i can't seem to find a way to make it switch from internet browser and default browser.

but here is the kicker. i don't know exactly what i did, but now when i'm connect to wifi... the words UMA are not capitalized like it was before... now it's all lowercase letters "uma"... i thought that was strange

so then i started to try and browse and it would say uma when i'm going to the default google in the bookmarks. but if i edit the bookmark and change it from internet browser to wifi, and click on the google bookmark, it says wifi on top instead of uma and it's FAST. and when scrolling around with the trackball, i now see a little cursor to use. and now there are scroll bars present on the right side and bottom
***edit*** i found out the cursor appeared after i was testing some settings and put something on "desktop" from "mobile"... but everything else is still the way i saw it

and yet again another weird twist.

as i was typing this up, i checked my phone, and now it says UMA instead of uma.

and now, when i browse anything, it says wifi on top, and it actually browses at wifi speeds with the cursor. and this is with the browser faults set to internet browser and even the bookmarks set to internet browser.

i am utterly confused but so happy that wifi is working and i don't want it to go away. its finally working and i'm afraid to leave home away from my wireless.

Last edited by bluejae; 10-04-2007 at 09:41 AM..
Closed Thread