Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplode View Post
Software will not fix an issue with this type of thing. a phone has no choice of what tower to pick. This is up to the SIM card and the towers. phone doesnt have a choice in this.
so then every 3G phone should drop calls (around my area). think about it, your logic makes no sense.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #42
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
He's been told to replace the SIM several times (in more than one thread), but at this point he is more interested in whining...
ok, so this is a popularity contest now. look bud, i know what im talking about. stop trash talking me and putting words in my mouth. i already explained to you how my SIM card is NOT the issue AND stated that i will be replacing it JUST INCASE tomorrow afternoon. stop starting shit.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #43
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You about summed it up - "ive had Bold issues since i got it in march".

It has been suggested that you switch SIM cards, but you'd prefer to attack people trying to work with you.

Another suggestion would be to get a non BlackBerry device and see if it meets your needs.

You sir, need a time out, bud.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #44
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
You about summed it up - "ive had Bold issues since i got it in march".

It has been suggested that you switch SIM cards, but you'd prefer to attack people trying to work with you.

Another suggestion would be to get a non BlackBerry device and see if it meets your needs.

You sir, need a time out, bud.
how bout you try reading my thread before you post next time ;)
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #45
xplode
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ryan View Post
so then every 3G phone should drop calls (around my area). think about it, your logic makes no sense.
Ok so let me figure out how my logic makes no sense.. Your going through replacement phones like water, USING the same sim card.. Have not looked into network issues in the area... and say its phone and software? Doesnt seem to me that you have done everything you should have done to look into the issue. Because to me it seems that you shouldnt be making any assumptions on what this problem could be because according to your statement, every 3G phone should be dropping calls. Well you know that people around you are not dropping calls how? did you look into this as well? Look into all areas that could be causing a problem before telling me i dont know what im saying. . If you see there is no issue in the area with towers and a NEW sim card doesnt fix the problem. Im all with you blaming the Radios in your blackberry. Until then you have some things to check into.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #46
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Ok so let me figure out how my logic makes no sense.. Your going through replacement phones like water, USING the same sim card.. Have not looked into network issues in the area... and say its phone and software? Doesnt seem to me that you have done everything you should have done to look into the issue. Because to me it seems that you shouldnt be making any assumptions on what this problem could be because according to your statement, every 3G phone should be dropping calls. Well you know that people around you are not dropping calls how? did you look into this as well? Look into all areas that could be causing a problem before telling me i dont know what im saying. . If you see there is no issue in the area with towers and a NEW sim card doesnt fix the problem. Im all with you blaming the Radios in your blackberry. Until then you have some things to check into.
i guess no one on this forum bothers reading anything *sigh*

ok fine, even though ive already looked into EVERYTHING you JUST SAID, ill still shut up until i get the new SIM. JUST so i can prove to you (if thats possible) that its the Bold. who knows though, you might come up with another excuse to blame me tomorrow as well...
Old 07-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #47
xplode

Quote:
i guess no one on this forum bothers reading anything *sigh*

ok fine, even though ive already looked into EVERYTHING you JUST SAID, ill still shut up until i get the new SIM. JUST so i can prove to you (if thats possible) that its the Bold. who knows though, you might come up with another excuse to blame me tomorrow as well...
Dude im just trying to help you... its physically impossible for software on a phone to cause the issues your speaking of.. Cannot happen. The only way this will happen is when the software is in development way before the phone ever releases. Once officially released its no longer an issue. If the sim doesnt work and they tell you the towers are perfect in the area.. then i will gladly agree with you that the BOLD's UMTS/HSDPA radio is defective.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #48
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
dude you dont even know what youre talking about, stop playing forum police. like i said, not EVERYONE has 3G issues, but its VERY common... unlike you seem to believe.

and secondly, go back a reread my thread. my Bold issues has nothing to do with OS 5.0. i knew os 5.0 is beta and it was risky, thats not what my threads about. in fact i started the thread (tonight) b4 i even DLed os 5.0 or even finished my XBM swap for that matter. and BTW, my Bold isnt bricked whatsoever. getting error message popups doesnt mean "bricked" FYI. which btw, the messages appear to have stopped. ive had Bold issues since i got it in march. ive tried every 4.x OS released, some are better than others, but its still an issue. countless people have come to my store with all the same issues i have plus im on my 3rd Bold and still having problems. yeah, its all in my head :rolleyes:

and as for the thread topic...this isnt anything ive heard from anyone in AT&T, but looking at it from the business aspect, its really not cost effective to create a free patch for the Bold. they can simply release a newer BB with the same "patch" ad actually make money off it. dropping 3G calls hasnt killed anyone yet (i dont think), so im sure they see no urgency to release a fix. think about it like a car. it could be the biggest piece of crap right off the line with parts breaking left and right, but if its not a safety issue you gotta rely on warranty or your wallet.
ok, time for me to stop feeding the trolls...
Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #49
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Dude im just trying to help you... its physically impossible for software on a phone to cause the issues your speaking of.. Cannot happen. The only way this will happen is when the software is in development way before the phone ever releases. Once officially released its no longer an issue. If the sim doesnt work and they tell you the towers are perfect in the area.. then i will gladly agree with you that the BOLD's UMTS/HSDPA radio is defective.
when did i say it was the software? i dont think its the Bold software, i think its the Bold hardware. that theory is basically based on the fact that the software programmers have yet to fix the issue even with all the releases of the OS. either way, its still a Bold issue.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #50
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
ok, time for me to stop feeding the trolls...
Exactly..
Old 07-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #51
xplode

Quote:
when did i say it was the software? i dont think its the Bold software, i think its the Bold hardware. that theory is basically based on the fact that the software programmers have yet to fix the issue even with all the releases of the OS. either way, its still a Bold issue.
So you spoke with ATT about the towers in the area to verify that they may not be working on one? if you did that.. and the new sim card tomorrow doesnt help you out at all and you see the same issues. Then it will be the phone thats at fault.. If you have done both of those things i will fully back you on the phone being at fault. but just in my honest opinion it does seem that one of the towers in the area on its own or in combination with a bad sim is causing this blip in your signal. 3 bolds in a row having this issue is almost 99.9% unlikely.. almost wouldnt happen bro.. Someone mentioned in the thread something about software being at fault, if that was not you who made that comment i apologize for implying you said it

Last edited by xplode; 07-30-2009 at 12:30 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #52
SmoothRunnings
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
if it were a tower/coverage issue, every AT&T 3G phone would drop calls. its the Bold....or rather how the Bold "deals" with 3G lol
Laugh! That's the most stupid thing I have ever heard from anyone! Sorry if I have offended you but you have yet to look at the facts, if the issue with dropped calls is related to the BOLD device then everyone around the world and on this site who owns a BOLD would agree with you, but we don't agree with you and our BOLDs don't drop calls.

We all know from the BOLD release was delayed by AT&T because of the iPhone 3G tying up all the bandwidth on the AT&T network, even RIM had to help AT&T and now the US AT&T customers (ONLY) report of calls being dropped which suggests something still isn't right on AT&T's network. And like I said ready Rogers Wireless who uses the same network infrastructure as AT&T has had no problems with serving both its iPhone 3G and Blackberry customers on its network here in Canada, plus any AT&T customers who come to visit us (grin), Rogers Wireless supplies all of Canada with GPRS/3G/HSPA.

I think maybe the problem is in your mind... LoL and someone at AT&T is controlling it as there is no logic in your rebuttal to substantiate your claims that it's the BOLDs OS! :o)

Last edited by SmoothRunnings; 07-30-2009 at 07:29 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #53
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

AT&T's network, if you can believe what you read on the net, is actually pretty good except in certain areas. NYC Metro, where I live, and San Fransisco are two locations I've read about with a poor network.

I'm on my third Bold SIM, no change. Yesterday I send AT&T an email (working with an Executive Response Case Manager to resolve my problem before I quit my contract). I was in lower Manhattan from 4th Street to Battery Park and had six calls drop "Call Failed". At least three times I tried to make a call and I had it fail saying "Congestion". I wasn't standing in the same spot during this time. Data wasn't better as I had the hour glass next to outgoing messages for a long time (I didn't time it, just noticed my messages hadn't been sent when I tried to send another).

Regards-Michael G.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #54
SmoothRunnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
AT&T's network, if you can believe what you read on the net, is actually pretty good except in certain areas. NYC Metro, where I live, and San Fransisco are two locations I've read about with a poor network.

I'm on my third Bold SIM, no change. Yesterday I send AT&T an email (working with an Executive Response Case Manager to resolve my problem before I quit my contract). I was in lower Manhattan from 4th Street to Battery Park and had six calls drop "Call Failed". At least three times I tried to make a call and I had it fail saying "Congestion". I wasn't standing in the same spot during this time. Data wasn't better as I had the hour glass next to outgoing messages for a long time (I didn't time it, just noticed my messages hadn't been sent when I tried to send another).

Regards-Michael G.
Again it comes back what I said about AT&T's network, that something is up. There has been no issue here in Canada the Blackberry BOLD dropping calls. I think the last time I got a dropped call was back in the 1980's (here in Toronto, ON, Canada) on the Rogers or Bell networks, both communication companies are the largest providers in Canada.

I have my own BES and haven't any issues with emails not going through, only at the office had we had problems but that was simply because I had not setup Exchange and the BES server to reboot at the correct times once their windows updates were installed, since I fixed it no in our company has had a problem.

Andrew
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #55
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

It's a bit weak in Houston - has been since Hurricane Ike.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #56
SmoothRunnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
It's a bit weak in Houston - has been since Hurricane Ike.
Uh Ah! :o)

Hurricane's rarely make it this far north... AT&T needs to keep on top of their network issues, especially after big storms! :o)

Andrew
Old 07-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #57
xplode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRunnings View Post
Again it comes back what I said about AT&T's network, that something is up. There has been no issue here in Canada the Blackberry BOLD dropping calls. I think the last time I got a dropped call was back in the 1980's (here in Toronto, ON, Canada) on the Rogers or Bell networks, both communication companies are the largest providers in Canada.

I have my own BES and haven't any issues with emails not going through, only at the office had we had problems but that was simply because I had not setup Exchange and the BES server to reboot at the correct times once their windows updates were installed, since I fixed it no in our company has had a problem.

Andrew
Its not the "network as a whole"... depends where these people live.. There are many markets that at&t is unbeatable... start moving off into little rural areas then yes, good luck getting perfect coverage everywhere. at&t has a very strong network and the 3G is strong as well. The problems this person is discussing are either caused from a bad sim card or a network issue "in his area" Its not unheard of for a tower to go offline or have to be worked on. These issues are sporadic and easily addressable.. Rogers has had towers go down as well.. unless your speaking for where you are personally but speaking for all of canada..? that would be incorrect. Thats like if i said at&t is perfect and has perfect 3G everywhere i live so at&t must be perfect everywhere att has service.

Last edited by xplode; 07-30-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #58
SmoothRunnings

Quote:
Its not the "network as a whole"... depends where these people live.. There are many markets that at&t is unbeatable... start moving off into little rural areas then yes, good luck getting perfect coverage everywhere. at&t has a very strong network and the 3G is strong as well. The problems this person is discussing are either caused from a bad sim card or a network issue "in his area" Its not unheard of for a tower to go offline or have to be worked on. These issues are sporadic and easily addressable.. Rogers has had towers go down as well.. unless your speaking for where you are personally but speaking for all of canada..? that would be incorrect. Thats like if i said at&t is perfect and has perfect 3G everywhere i live so at&t must be perfect everywhere att has service.
Reminds of me what Rogers did many years ago when Bell had setup their CDMA network across Canada. Without a doubt Bell's network was better than Rogers at one time but Mr Ted Rogers decided to spend billions each year in upgrading the Rogers network; yes there was a time too when you were out in the rural areas that Rogers customers wouldn't get a single while Bell customers did but that was like 15 years ago or so, not both network are pretty much the same when it comes to coverage even in the rural areas that both claim they have the largest network across Canada now. :o)

It seems to me after reading your post that AT&T is far behind the times and needs to improve their network and do what Ted Rogers did and spend billions each year to install new towers and repeaters in areas that are suffering otherwise they it will get so bad that no one will want to come visit their friends, family and or relatives anymore because they can't get any phone service! :o)

Andrew
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #59
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRunnings View Post
Laugh! That's the most stupid thing I have ever heard from anyone! Sorry if I have offended you but you have yet to look at the facts, if the issue with dropped calls is related to the BOLD device then everyone around the world and on this site who owns a BOLD would agree with you, but we don't agree with you and our BOLDs don't drop calls.

We all know from the BOLD release was delayed by AT&T because of the iPhone 3G tying up all the bandwidth on the AT&T network, even RIM had to help AT&T and now the US AT&T customers (ONLY) report of calls being dropped which suggests something still isn't right on AT&T's network. And like I said ready Rogers Wireless who uses the same network infrastructure as AT&T has had no problems with serving both its iPhone 3G and Blackberry customers on its network here in Canada, plus any AT&T customers who come to visit us (grin), Rogers Wireless supplies all of Canada with GPRS/3G/HSPA.

I think maybe the problem is in your mind... LoL and someone at AT&T is controlling it as there is no logic in your rebuttal to substantiate your claims that it's the BOLDs OS! :o)
let me try to explain this again a little slower...

the bold is a 3G tri-band world phone, like many other phones out there that run on at least the same 3 3G bands (i.e. Epix, Fuze). these devices all use the same frequencies from AT&T for 3G, those being 850MHz and 1900MHz. they also all use the same SIM cards. the Epix and Fuze dont have 3G issues like "my" Bold(s). same network, same frequencies, same SIM card...whats the only thing thats not the same? the device!

so you ask about Rogers then...surely Rogers runs on the same frequencies correct? yet all you Roger's Bold owner dont have any issue. well the thing you seem to be missing is the fact that Rogers relys on 850MHz more than 1900MHZ...AT&T is just the opposite. Lower frequency = better penetration = better reception = fewer dropped calls.

where is the flaw in my logic?

and again, let me reiterate, i dont think its the Bolds OS, i think its the Bolds hardware. and before you go jumping down my throat about that part, remember, this is just my opinion. its not based on factual data like my previous argument.

edit: let me make it clear that im well aware that the Bold works completely fine in many areas of the US (such as here in Blacksburg,VA). the issue is when youre near the 3G border, which is where I had the issues. every phone has to deal with switching back and forth between 3G/EDGE, yet the other phones dont drop calls when they do this. The Bold (and from what Ive heard the iPhone) are the only phones out their that seem to have this issue.

of course, ive mentioned i have numerous Bold problems, not just 3G issues. but thats a completely different story and i think most of those issues are based on the fact that my current and last Bolds were refurbs. My original brand new Bold didnt really have many issues besides the dropped calls. Had i known at the time that its going to be a problem no matter what, surely i wouldnt have XBMed it in the first place.

Last edited by Fat Ryan; 07-30-2009 at 10:06 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #60
SmoothRunnings

Quote:
let me try to explain this again a little slower...

the bold is a 3G tri-band world phone, like many other phones out there that run on at least the same 3 3G bands (i.e. Epix, Fuze). these devices all use the same frequencies from AT&T for 3G, those being 850MHz and 1900MHz. they also all use the same SIM cards. the Epix and Fuze dont have 3G issues like "my" Bold(s). same network, same frequencies, same SIM card...whats the only thing thats not the same? the device!

so you ask about Rogers then...surely Rogers runs on the same frequencies correct? yet all you Roger's Bold owner dont have any issue. well the thing you seem to be missing is the fact that Rogers relys on 850MHz more than 1900MHZ...AT&T is just the opposite. Lower frequency = better penetration = better reception = fewer dropped calls.

where is the flaw in my logic?

and again, let me reiterate, i dont think its the Bolds OS, i think its the Bolds hardware. and before you go jumping down my throat about that part, remember, this is just my opinion. its not based on factual data like my previous argument.

edit: let me make it clear that im well aware that the Bold works completely fine in many areas of the US (such as here in Blacksburg,VA). the issue is when youre near the 3G border, which is where I had the issues. every phone has to deal with switching back and forth between 3G/EDGE, yet the other phones dont drop calls when they do this. The Bold (and from what Ive heard the iPhone) are the only phones out their that seem to have this issue.

of course, ive mentioned i have numerous Bold problems, not just 3G issues. but thats a completely different story and i think most of those issues are based on the fact that my current and last Bolds were refurbs. My original brand new Bold didnt really have many issues besides the dropped calls. Had i known at the time that its going to be a problem no matter what, surely i wouldnt have XBMed it in the first place.
Nice try..

GSM/GPRS/EDGE on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 2G GSM, or 2.5G in the case of EDGE)
UMTS/HSPA on the 850 MHz band (Also known as 3G GSM)

You need to do a better job a learning your technology. :0)

All 3G device operate at 850Mhz while in 3G mode. And currently my Bold is set to operated in both 3G and 2G so it's possible that my phone does work the same way in 2G mode using 1900MHz.

Rogers use to be called Rogers AT&T Wireless before Ted Rogers had the name changed to Rogers Wireless (not sure if Mr. Ted bought AT&T's ownership or if AT&T decided to have their name removed, or if there was some government and or legal thing that required AT&T to remove their name) . It's very likely the two network still operate the same way with the exception that Rogers has poured billions into their network to compete with Bell Canada who use to have the largest wireless network across Canada.

There is no problem with BOLD phones on the Rogers network, even our CEO who has a BOLD running the old Rogers firmware (.168 I think) doesn't have problems with his phone dropping calls...

The other possibility could be is that you have the bad ion. (laugh) There are people in this world where technology and them don't get along and somehow the managed to wrech technology without dropping or kicking it. My Ex use to stop clocks when she was upset, even stopping the electric clock on the stove... So maybe that's the case here with you? :D

Andrew

Last edited by SmoothRunnings; 07-30-2009 at 10:26 AM..
Closed Thread