BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #21
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Why on earth would you want to remove the letterboxing? I always hated cropped movies because you miss the intent of the director's framing of the scene.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #22
rgvsean
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Nexus
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

I 100% agree with you on a large widescreen TV but when you only have 480x320 pixels to play with I want a full screen. I am also confident the director did not intend you to watch it via some 10w speakers and a postage stamp screen

Anyway I've cracked it - The Matrix FILLING the BB BOLD screen. Looks amazing!

Will run another pass as this has some pauses, need to reduce file sizes.

Once it's sorted properly I'll post what I did and a video to prove on youtube perhaps?
Old 10-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #23
rgvsean
Thumbs Must Hurt

YouTube - Blackberry BOLD 9000
Old 10-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #24
mplep

Model: 7290
Carrier: cw

WOW. Great vid. I've been a slysoft user for a few years now, never had a mobile device to use their mobile product however. Getting a Bold shortly and will be looking to do this, purely for that WOW factor

Any details on the procedure would be welcome. Good job.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:44 AM   #25
rgvsean
Thumbs Must Hurt

Until slysoft add a BB Bold code it doesn't work right off.

I sent it to the phone as an iphone film zoomed in to fill the screen using the cinema scope setting. I then used videora as mentioned above to convert the iphone code into their iphone code which works. Only issue I'm having now is videora makes the file twice the size so it came out at 1.9GB which is too big.

However it will do for now until someone makes a decent BB converter suite. Yes there are plenty that will do straight conversion but none that can play with the picture to display how you may want it to.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #26
WebSurfer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: at&t

The simpliest (and free) BlackBerry converter is still BlackBerry Video Converter from Seabyrd Technologies. It will convert directly from DVD (if DVD is not copy-protected). To convert to the Bold screen of 480x320 you need to select other format under the video tab. Once the conversion is complete the software has options to load it directly onto your BlackBerry. Another feature that is very nice is the ability to increase audio levels with LAME. I just converted a DVD for my Bold and it worked fine.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #27
crappie_fisherman

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I should just try it...but I'll ask...

I've ripped a few DVD's for our Gen2 ITouch using Handbrake they come in as mp4 files. Can I simply load those on my 8830 and have them play or do I need to re-import from DVD with different format information for my 8830?

Basically is a mp4 file compatible with the 8830 or do I need to find a converter to get 3gp files?

Sorry for the question.

Joe.

Last edited by crappie_fisherman; 11-06-2008 at 10:36 AM..
Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #28
Magnum
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: Want my Debit Card?
Carrier: AT&T, Cingular, AT&T..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSurfer View Post
The simpliest (and free) BlackBerry converter is still BlackBerry Video Converter from Seabyrd Technologies. It will convert directly from DVD (if DVD is not copy-protected). To convert to the Bold screen of 480x320 you need to select other format under the video tab. Once the conversion is complete the software has options to load it directly onto your BlackBerry. Another feature that is very nice is the ability to increase audio levels with LAME. I just converted a DVD for my Bold and it worked fine.
Yes it does work nicely after changing the aspect ratio, but I mainly rip TV show DVD's and I find it glitchy for these. I have to pick the individual title via the ''file open" and if I choose to automatically load on the blackberry it doesn't rip. Maybe because the bold is not an option yet, maybe Vista??? Dunno, but in the end it works and it's free.

Obviously I have a work around, which in truth is not a problem because I keep a library on my PC so I can switch them around. The kiddo's get sick of the same thing all the time and that's about the only reason I rip them.....I don't personally watch many shows / movies on it. Give me a sling player and I will.....ha-ha-ha, let's not start a sling player conversation....
Old 11-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #29
genetix

Carrier: Optus

So have we sussed out the way to make a high quality movie, without the black cropping bars?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #30
acohen

Carrier: AT&T

I've been playing around with ripping and converting movies for the Bold over the last few days and have, I believe, figured out how to rip, properly encode and load movies to the device.

I have a mac and use MacTheRipper to rip and strip the DVD to my hard drive. I then use VisualHub to encode the file for the Bold. I also have figured out how to crop the letter box (on widescreen DVDs) so that you get full screen on the device.

Although I use the applications above there are many programs mentioned above and in other posts will allow you to tweak your settings. Trial and error is what led me to success.

I encode .mp4
Screen Size: 480x320 pixels
Frame Rate: 25 (I tried 30 and that works too, not sure if there's a noticeable difference)
Audio: 48,000hz at 192 bit rate

That's pretty much it. For cropping out the black lines of a wide screen (letter box) movie I use the cropping feature. I've found that if you crop 130 px off the top and the bottom that the movie fills the whole screen. VisualHub has a preview feature so that you can test your settings and see the result prior to encoding. You may have to play around with the cropping as I have found that not all wide screen movies are the same.

I found an interesting and helpful article here that got me started on cropping, What's on HDTV?: Using VisualHub Advanced Options.

I've got 5 full length films on my 8GB card and the quality is amazing.

Good luck - Andrew

Last edited by acohen; 11-09-2008 at 10:56 AM..
Old 11-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #31
Magnum

PIN: Want my Debit Card?
Carrier: AT&T, Cingular, AT&T..?

I'm using this, Nidesoft DVD Ripper and it has been working great. I opted for the ripper / converter suite myself. I'm was having a little issue with the snapshot button, but there support team was really responsive and we worked together to get it fixed. Turns out it was a vista compatibility issue.

The options and ability the software offers to use multiple devices are pretty good.

For now I am using the .MP4 for Blackberry from their drop down and changing the screen format to 480 x 320. It rips pretty quickly, with my estimated time at about 30 minutes for a full length 90 minute or so movie. I usually set it up, walk away do something else while it's ripping.

Also after playing around I have come to these settings that suit me for viewing, sound quality and good compression:

- BlackBerry MPEG-4 video
- 480 x 320 resolution

TV Show DVD's:

- 256 video bitrate
- 32 audio bitrate

Movie DVD's:

- 384 video bitrate
- 32 audio bitrate

Music Video / Concert DVD's:

- 512 video bitrate
- 128 audio bitrate

You can also crop, trim, enhance the volume, adjust the color and so on via the menus.

Last edited by Magnum; 11-13-2008 at 10:21 AM..
Old 11-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #32
UptownGirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altadr View Post
I have just got a hold of "Magic Dvd Ripper" and am trying a direct convert to iPhone file

This is the info its given me to what it is coding:

Profile "iPhone".

Video type : MP4
Frame rate : Original
Volume : Original

Resolution : 480X272 (Wide Screen)
: 424X320 (Full Screen)

Video Codec : MPEG4
Video Bitrate : 800 Kbps
Audio Codec : AAC
Audio Bitrate : 80 Kbps

Hopefully this will be an easy alternative otherwise i will try out the above method.

It's coding a .83gig file so that sounds about the right size from what you mentioned

I just downloaded Magic DVD Ripper yesterday. How did it work out for you? Did DVD's play in full screen mode on your Bold (ie. no letterbox bars)?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #33
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgudnas View Post
i have had success with Xvid4PSP from http://www.winnydows.com/
use the mp4 iPhone or Touch preset, with x264 HQ ultra encoding.
i get crisp, clear mp4, correct resolution, BB has no problems playing em.
Xvid4PSP works !! = Thanks for sharing...
I like this software. I went and tried some of the other demo's and some of them work. Xvid4PSP does the job and will do more with the rich interface.
And, it's Free!

H.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #34
whsbuss

Model: 9800

I use DVD Shrink then Prism Video Converter
Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #35
Serkle K

PIN: ... --- ...

Looking for some help here... I downloaded the 2 programs bogman sugessted, and for the most part they worked. I'm having trouble getting the Videora program to convert... it's taking almost 4+ hours to convert. I got fed up and stopped it 3 times... I was trying to convert Bad Boys 2... Any tips on what i'm doing wrong?

I went to download xvid4psp, but it was going to take 9 hours to download, I don't know why it would take so long... I have broadband... anything else I could try for free?? I'm not trying to be cheap, but I want to be sure this is something I want to do on a regular basis, so I want to be sure I buy a fairly reasonably priced program, if I have to pay for one.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Serkle K; 12-09-2008 at 06:16 PM..
Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #36
Serkle K

PIN: ... --- ...

anyone??
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #37
conker

PIN: 249E86E3

I wouldn't go through so much trouble.... By far, the one that I have most success with and is also easy to configure and make sense of is:

DVD Copy Software from DVDFab | Copy DVD to PSP, DVDR or iPod

Give it a try.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #38
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by conker View Post
I wouldn't go through so much trouble.... By far, the one that I have most success with and is also easy to configure and make sense of is:

DVD Copy Software from DVDFab | Copy DVD to PSP, DVDR or iPod

Give it a try.
I like this as well. What settings are you using to get a full screen? I tried ipod/iphone at 480x362 and it almost fills the screen.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #39
conker

PIN: 249E86E3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
I like this as well. What settings are you using to get a full screen? I tried ipod/iphone at 480x362 and it almost fills the screen.
The most important thing for me is to keep the same aspect ratio as the original... so I choose from the options they provide. I believe the options they provide try as much as possible to maintain the original aspect ratio. So I just pick the one that is closest to 480x320.

Isn't the resolution of the Bold 480x320? How can you goto 480x362? Some people have even said they choose 530x360 to fit the screen. I don't get it?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #40
whsbuss

Yes the Bold is 480x320. DVDFab has a profile editor (beta) that I used to add the 480x320 resolution. Now its absolutely perfect!!! DVDFab is a great all-in-one app.
Closed Thread