zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
haha, yes. I can't find intelligent life in the Off-Topic section of this forum.

That linked article above, I wrote, so I knew where to find it.

On the battery issues, I stand on the ground that you can't condition a Li-Ion battery, however you can condition the "meter" which gauges the charge percentage and is displayed on your BlackBerry.

For more than you want to read, check the battery university link at the bottom of the news article.
I agree with this. As many of you know, I was an iphone user for 2 months, and before that I was an HTC Touch Dual user for one month. So my Curve was in the garbage for about 3 months (where garbage = drawer). After I changed back, I saw the meter would tell me that it was at 50% after a few hours of not even using it, extreme right? Well... I thought "OK, i'd let it die" and put on a video off the SD Card... 3 hours later the battery died. Wow... I hated hearing that SAME VIDEO OVER AND OVER AGAIN! So I threw it under my pillow, w00t, no sound. But yeah, it was at like 10% for over an hour with a video and max volume. Weird, right?

Well, I suggest you condition it at least once every few months keeps you accurate about how much bat life u have left.
Salut, K.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #42
muck
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
Charged it Saturday night. Unplugged early Sunday morning. 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth always on. Sent/received about 200 emails, about 2 hours of talk, bsome browsing and 60 miutes of Telenav. Had about 20% left on Tuesday morning.
lol i need some of that magic hahahahah
swap batteries?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #43
ChestR_MolestR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

the battery will last me almost a day, but alot of days i have to charge it twice. Thats not really the problem for me. I find it takes for ever to recharge twice as long as my past curves and pearls
Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #44
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
lol i need some of that magic hahahahah
swap batteries?
Same battery.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Hmm I just got it yesterday, charged it overnight... woke up at 10 am, unplugged it, talked on the phone for 10 mins (phone got really hot.. this happen toa nyoen else?) and since then have sent maybe... 3 sms, 0 emails, but have been pinning with a friend most of the day... and it's it at 50% at 2 pm. No wifi or bluetooth. 3g is connected but I haven't been browsing at all.

Something is up though, I'm sure it can't be this bad. It might be just because it's the first charge and it's confused or something.....

Or, and I find it takes FOREVER to charge too. On my curve I popped it on the charter for 30 mins when it was low and it regarged a lot, with this it goes up like 5% in 30 mins..

PS. I can still use my curve charger right? because that's what I used. I'm not a fan of the bold charter (it came with that flip open thingy which I find flimsy and annoying)

Last edited by BlitzSix; 08-26-2008 at 01:47 PM..
Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #46
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

It does indeed take longer to charge the Bold vs. the Curve in my experience as well. I can't speak to your battery meter going down so quickly and can only offer you to follow some of the earlier advice in this thread.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #47
lauriem
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

I've charged mine a couple times since I've had it. It was fully charged exactly 24 hours ago. From then to now:

> I've not turned it off
> total call time of 57 minutes (3G), using bluetooth headset
> about one hour 3G web surfing, including two short youtube videos (about minute each)
> listened to MP3's on SD card for about 30 minutes
> received 30 e-mail, sent 5 (love the HTML mail!!)
> WI-FI is turned off, but I had in on for about 5 minutes just to try it with my home network
> OS is whatever Rogers put on it
> Haven't installed any 3rd party applications other than docs-to-go

Battery is now at 75%. So I've no concerns there. The memory leak does concern me. Started with 40 MB free at the full charge (had reset as well) and am down to 26 MB free.

The first time I charged it, it took forever. Or maybe just felt this was because I wanted to play with it. Took about 4.5 hours from 50%. The next charge was just a couple hours.

Anyway, it's a keeper!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #48
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

wow, lauriem, that is impressive.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #49
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
wow, lauriem, that is impressive.
Yah, I hope everybody's battery is like that. That sounds like I'd expect. I have a pearl and it takes a lot longer to charge my battery when it's off than when it's fired up. Does that make sense?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #50
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

No, why do you turn off your BB?
Old 08-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #51
ChestR_MolestR
Thumbs Must Hurt

a Berry should never be turned off. silent mode or sleep only. How else are you going to receive all you email, sms and bbmesenger alerts
Old 08-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #52
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Turning a BlackBerry OFF is like dividing any number by ZERO.

Just wrong, wrong, wrong
Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #53
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Jeez, and I've been breaking the law unknowingly for almost 2 years. I feel like a fugitive running from the law. Please delete my post above mods!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #54
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

No, it will stick with you now a criminal record. You are pegged as a BB power-offer.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:33 AM   #55
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I hope this isn't the placebo effect but 24 hours later from my post above and the battery meter seems to be behaving more normally.

After going through a normal blackberry workday and charging it as necessary during the course of the day, my last final charge was at approx. 4 PM. Checked a few emails after that and because I'm still excited about the device, viewed a few youtube videos for kicks.

Woke up this morning without charging it intentionally, and it's at 50% which I think appears to be reasonable for the kind of usage I was putting into it. 24 hours earlier, the battery meter was flashing red requiring me to charge the Bold immediately.

I'll continue monitoring this but I think the advice given by John earlier works (surprise, surprise).

I think I'm a happy camper now.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 AM   #56
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think those with battery issues were on older versions of the OS. Rogers has a later version than Orange UK. If European users upgrade to the latest OS noted at the top of this forum, you'll be okay. At exactly 24 hours after charging, I'm at 50%. I've used it a lot yesterday.

Hope this helps,
Santo
Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #57
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Unless I'm mistaken (and we all know how rare that is ), the battery drain with 3G is because the BB is searching for a 3G signal, not when it's simply using 3G. That active searching is the real killer, no? We've seen plenty of firmware updates on many different platforms that has helped a mobile with 3G selection. Ergo, any battery woes related to 3G should be easily cured, and Bolds sold later should have this improved firmware already. My guess is we'll start to hear less and less about the Bold's battery life.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #58
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

^^ Agreed

My Bold will be with me by then.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #59
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ahh! Well as I posted yesterday my battery was dying very quickly, I had to charge it mid day and it was like 20% ish at night, and I fully charged it overnight. Today it was dying quickly again but I didn't charge it. I woke up at 9 am, sent maybe 10-15 texts, 1-1.5 hours or so on the phone and pinning back and forth with 1 friend for most of the day. It died, completely, at 6 pm. So I put it to charge and it's almost at 100% now (8 30 pm) i'll let it get to 100%, then use it a little bit tonight and charge it overnight again when I go to sleep and see how it goes from there. Something must be up though, no wifi, no bluetooth, mostly 3G (but I don't have the greatest reception wehre I live). With teh curve though I could go 2 days easy without charging..

I'll let you know how it lasts tomorrow... any other tips ?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #60
svm

PIN: N/A
Carrier: entelpcs

I've been using my bold for a couple of weeks (lucky enough to live in Chile and be one of the first ones to buy). I've never owned a BB before and my previous mobiles where a SE w810i and then a 2G iPhone. With the iPhone experience, without using EDGE in the whole day, my batt would last for 15hrs, more or less.
Now, with the bold, is way different, since the battery will last as much as the behavior of the 3G network. To make myself understood. Everytime the bold thinks it has caught a 3G network, it'll begin Tx.. the thing is that the auto-switch to edge or GPRS is not very good, so it remains trying to connect to the 3G network, draining the batt in a couple of hours. 3G networks suck all over the world, US is the worst, then come some LatinAmerican countries and by far the best 3G network is in Europe.
So... wrapping up, if you live in Europe, long live bold's batt... if you live in the US, you'll get a headache with any 3G piece of technology you get, bold, iphone, you name it.
Regards!
Closed Thread