marymegali
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: FIDO

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousturk View Post
So frustrated. I've done everything, now when on DM it finally reads the new OS system I want to update to, it allows me to click on the check box next to it, but when I click "next" it says no update needed. Could someone PLEASE help me.

I've had the same problem.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #102
txmx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo

I've done everything,the new OS 4.5.0.174 doesnt even shows on my DM ,then i tried the loader app but does not do nothing it allows me to click on the check box next to it, but when I click "next" it says no update needed,then I checked again in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.and i found out that theres no app loader.exe can anyone help me
Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #103
Daughain
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: T-Mobile

dblake, I had the same issue upgrading an ATT 8310 to Tmo 8320 OS 4.5. What I ended up doing was locating 4.5 on the RIM site and loading that, then using my backups from my other phone to get the Tmo settings. A thought for ya, if you can find another ver of the OS ya wanna use.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #104
joshtb86

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

does this only fix that problem? my phone restarts when it tries to update it
Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #105
interstudy

Model: 9530
Carrier: TMobile

just a tidbit from a nubie, I always use app loader with my unlocked storm.....only use DM for service books
Old 12-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #106
qthaiduongvnn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: Carrier

Do we lose any of our data or settings when we upgrade? I want to change to a newer version bu dm does not back up my Bold.. Shall I risk upgrading without backup???
Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #107
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

The upgrade process creates a backup if you decide to. But it's always best practice to create a separate backup to be safe.

Why wont DM let you back up your device?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 12-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #108
raz699

Model: 8330
Default Not my first rodeo......but

I can't seem to get it to work. I have updated to unofficial releases before. I am running a sprint 8330 trying to go to the verizon 8330 5.0. I am using DM 4.5 and have searched an deleted vendor.xml everywhere it may be, even emptied recycle bin and it just wont show the 5.0 I have installed. Any advice???
Old 12-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #109
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Use the loader.exe file that's included with the OS.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 12-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #110
Sherwin

Carrier: Vodafone NL

this didn't work for me!, i still don't get the BB 5.0 (and the BB core application) in my loader...

it has loaded it, when i wasn't going to update,because i didn't backup my stuff... after i did that, i wanted to update, but the firmware didn't show up since then, so PLEASE help me(A)
Old 12-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #111
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Do you have a BB data plan? Many of the new OS 5.0 updates now require a data plan.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #112
Sherwin

Carrier: Vodafone NL

no i don't have a Data plan... isn't there another option to flash the BB? cause i need to instal V5.0 Without a Dataplan...!!!!

the new 9530 5.0.0.419 wont update ass wel... what do i have to do to fix this?

thanks in advance

(is it also possible to use someone's simcard who has a BB dataplan to update?)

HOW TO: Update BB With(out) Data Plan
Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #113
drummergoalie

Carrier: Rogers
Default Help!!!!

Hey Guys, I know this has probebly been covered before but I got my BB about 2 weeks ago and I have the 8900. At the bottom of my BB Desktop Manager it says I have v4.7. Is that the latest update? Because on my computers tool bar when I click for the Automatic Update is says v5.0.1. I want to install this but for whatever reason when I click install the little Update Window Closes and nothing happens.

Please if possible can you give me a step by step process of how to do install the updates. I have 3 other people in my family with BB's none of which have this problem. I am not good with computers so if possible don't go all technical on me.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #114
doyphoto

Model: 9630
PIN: 30C159F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
Hmm.. I wonder how long before RIM make this mandatory, to retrieve the vendor.xml file. Where we can not delete it.
Uh *shudders* I care not to think about that at the moment. The moment when we cannot help ourselves make our BB's work properly as they should .. why stick with BB.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #115
lyylwygaj

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

hey, i am freshmen here,iu really help me figure out it
Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #116
aland

Model: 8310
Carrier: orange

hi i am new i have a bb8310 and i updated it the other day and now its not working properly can i re-install the same 4.5 if so how because BM is saying no updates are avalible abd i have done everything thats the first post tells me to can any1 help PLEASE!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:07 AM   #117
t0y4u

Carrier: bag

bb battery low. drained down
solution to d problem
power ic or what bb8300,8310,8320,8100,8900
Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #118
prasadbvvs

Model: 7100g
Carrier: airtel

Hello Their,

I am using BB 7100g with Bharti(Airtel) Carrier, now I would like to change it to Hutch(Vodafone).. I have downloaded Hutch carrier software from online and tried to install..post that my mobiles gave 507 error.. I had reinstalled bharti (Airtel) and its now fine. Please help me in changing it to Hutch (Vodafone - India) as the Vodafone is much faster than Bharti(Airtel) in Mumbai.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #119
sprandi41

Carrier: Airtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
So, you downloaded the newest, latest and greatest OS for your BlackBerry and have followed all the instructions found here.

1. Download and install Desktop Manager.
2. Download and install the OS of your choice for your device.
3. Delete vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
4. Plug in BB and open Desktop Manager.

However, when you open Desktop Manager you get no prompt to update. When you open Application Loader your new OS is not listed!!

Important! Before continuing, please be aware that in order to upgrade to later versions of OS 5.0 you will need a BB data plan on your device.

This has been plaguing people for the last few months. I've never experienced the issue because of the way I've loaded Desktop Manager but Vasco at Horizon did and he and I together figured this out. I believe we've found the issue and will explain how to fix here.

The problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer (Vista users look in C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore.) So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "check for updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.

To prevent this from happening this you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.

1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.

5. Finish the installation.

(Note: If you're doing a fresh install of Desktop Manager, be sure and choose the "Custom" install button so that you get the prompt for what features you want installed. Otherwise all the features will be installed as normal and you'll likely run into this issue.)

Once that is complete, you'll need to go back and search your computer for vendor.xml. When you do the search, make sure you click on "Advanced Options" and make sure that you search Hidden files and folders. This is important as some operating systems create a virtual store in the temp folder that this vendor.xml file is located in. You will not find this particular vendor.xml if you don't have hidden files/folders selected for search. Once the hidden vendor.xml is deleted it won't come back if you've reinstalled Desktop Manager without the Automatic Update Feature enabled.

Now, make sure your OS is installed (you may need to install the OS again, if you actually remove Desktop Manager and then reinstall Desktop Manager again. Make sure that you delete the normal vendor.xml file LAST before updating the device.

Tip of the day: Desktop Manager is not even required for doing an OS upgrade. In the same folder as the vendor.xml file is a file called Loader.exe. Running that will run apploader without Desktop Manager. It still makes the full backup and restore, but without all the DM stuff running in the background. I use this for all my OS upgrades. Then later I connect to DM to start my BES activation.
Recently Iv bought BB 8520,the problem since i bought it is,when ever i am trying to browse my sms's suddenly the cursor goes eratically,dont know wt exactly is wrong with it,i took it to airtel BB office and requested for a new handset as its giving hell of problem even when i am entering my PIN number,he suggested for software update which he did n even then I am facing the same problem,any one can help me out of this problem with the best solution.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #120
Misho
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: MTS

i did it all but i still cant make it to update, i get this message:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/120...shopimagec.jpg

do i really need data plan to do this?

Blackberry Curve 8900
iPhone 3G 16GB