Old 04-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Arla
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default TMobile and Blackberries

Please Login to Remove!

Trying to understand so I know what I could (or could not) do.

I'm thinking of getting the Blackberry Flip as my new phone, currently I have a fairly old LG LX150, which does, phone calls, that's it, just phone calls.

So I'm thinking that moving to the "not quite full" keyboard shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I like the size of the flip, and I like flip phones, so that makes sense to me.

However, trying to figure the data-plans is, well, a mess.

Ideally I'd like to be able to configure my phone to check e-mail (if possible both gmail and work e-mail, if not maybe just one or the other) use the device for some sort of IM/texting, although I'm not sure if I need both, and looking at web sites (google maps, amazon, etc etc).

So, if I wanted to do that, what the hell plan would I need? So far I'm sort of thinking the unlimited texting for families (since my wife will also be getting a new phone) and then maybe blackberry unlimited web? Would I need the whole BES thing, or would that only be if my company allowed me to connect to the BES server (and in which case, would I need that AS WELL as web connect, or would that be instead of web connect)

Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

You definately need a BlackBerry data plan (unlimited would be best, if you can afford it, to avoid overage charges).

If you text a lot, then yes, you would also want texting. There are some plans that include texting, but they may be for just business plans, and not personal plans (been a while since I've looked over their plans).

You are correct on the BES plan (known as an Enterprise BlackBerry data plan). You don't need that unless you are going to connect your device to a BES server (which I don't recommend...as you'll probably be back here asking what your employer can see and not see on your device - and they would be able to read your text messages if you do that).

Not sure what web connect is....someone else will chime in I'm sure....I doubt you'll need it, though, since the BB data plan includes the ability surf the internet.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Arla

Thanks for the info, it helps some.

Couple of questions that might help me understand,

I've seen some posts that say that e-mails are considered texts (and as such would come out of your text plan vs data plan)

It looks like I have two options (assuming both my wife and I get texting/web style phones) first is to get Unlimited Web (or Blackberry Unlimited Web) + 400 messages for 24.99 or get Unlimited Web + Unlimited texts for 34.99 per phone, since it's only going to be for two people texting, and getting the Unlimited Messaging for families doesn't change the price of Unlimited web it would seem that Unlimited Web + a number of messages would be best.

Does unlimited web really give unlimited web (i.e. can goto any website) or do you have to pick and choose from allowed websites? I 'm not too worried about data usage since I doubt I'd use too much, but more just want to confirm that I can goto any site I choose.

Last edited by Arla; 04-30-2009 at 05:43 PM..
Old 04-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

With T-Mobile emails are not considered text messages - they are totally separate. Email is 'data', along with surfing the internet and using any 3rd party applications you choose to download and install.

Unlimited web (make sure it's a BlackBerry plan) does not limit what sites you can visit. If your phone can get to the site (i.e., it's mobile friendly - and quite a few are) then you have no worries.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Arla

Okay thanks, this helps.

TMobile seems to have the same plan "rebranded" for every phone, the Sidekick Internet plan with 400 messages is called just that, Blackberry seems to be the same, except called the Blackberry internet plan with 400 messages (and the same cost) where AT&T wanted to charge $60 for the same sort of thing so I'm not quite sure if that's just AT&T being nasty, or TMobile being good, or something that AT&T provides but TMobile doesn't.

How is the speed of the blackberries on TMobiles network? Given that Blackberries are not 3G devices (at least as far as I can tell), I've not owned a 3G device before, but then again I've also not used my phone for web-browsing before so whole new area.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
lacroixn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile

One thing you should consider is coverage in your area. You can ascertain this by going to the carrier's site and look at their coverage or maybe chat with friends and family about coverage in your area. Good phone and plan with bad area service makes no sense. Tmobile does have wifi (UMA) phones which allow you to have good service through wifi even if the mobile network reception is weak, and if you pay for the hotspot at home plan all calls and data through UMA will be unlimited.

Welcome to the Blackberry Forums! Good luck with choice.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Arla

Coverage is pretty good around here (wife has had TMobile for years, San Francisco area, so honestly, almost all phone providers are good around here).

Just to confirm what you said about the "hotspot at home" thing, so I have a wireless network at home currently, to use that to get/send data and/or make/receive calls I'd need to pay for the Tmobile hotspot@home plan as well?

Do you know if it works with international calling for free? Just curious because I do call internationally quite a bit, so this (in theory) would make it much cheaper.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arla View Post
Coverage is pretty good around here (wife has had TMobile for years, San Francisco area, so honestly, almost all phone providers are good around here).

Just to confirm what you said about the "hotspot at home" thing, so I have a wireless network at home currently, to use that to get/send data and/or make/receive calls I'd need to pay for the Tmobile hotspot@home plan as well?

Do you know if it works with international calling for free? Just curious because I do call internationally quite a bit, so this (in theory) would make it much cheaper.
International calls are not free or reduced in cost.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Arla

Well was worth a shot :P

But, getting back to the WIFI thing, so to make/receive unlimited calling at wifi hotspots I need to have the "Unlimited Hotspot Calling" service on my plan?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arla View Post
Well was worth a shot :P

But, getting back to the WIFI thing, so to make/receive unlimited calling at wifi hotspots I need to have the "Unlimited Hotspot Calling" service on my plan?
Yes you will need the Tmobile @ Home plan in order to get unlimited calling using wifi (aka UMA). I've also seen a few threads around that if you are in a different country and manage to get connected to a wifi spot, you can also call home (to the US) for free.

For completeness, if you don't get the Tmobile@Home plan, you can still make and receive calls via wifi but it gets deducted from your anytime minutes (if you have free nights and weekends, those remain free).
Old 05-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #11
Arla

Thanks Trimix, that makes sense and is what I'd thought too (except the whole, can make calls via Wi-Fi anyway, just deduct from minutes).

Just picked up the 8220, plunked down the cash, and now trying to figure out how to start using it more than just as a phone.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Now the fun begins.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
frank_m_ri

Model: 8900

possibly I can help, as far as the texting goes...
if you and your wife do alot of texting, you can get the family unlimited texting plan, then add your BB data plan (24.99 data only which can go on to a family plan) or if you do get on your company's BES, you'll need the BES plan which does not include text.
As far as the UMA / Wi-Fi, if you don't need the unlimited calling from home... you don't need to pay the extra $9.99, but you can use it for websurfing / reception etc.. just make sure you have a registered 911 address on the account to enable UMA.

As far as the international calling
T-Mobile does have an add on for $5 for discounted international calling.
AND
The Wi-Fi UMA & international calling, the way that can help you would be if you were traveling and made calls using Wi-Fi / UMA back to the USA the call would be treated as a domestic call since it is travling over the internet and not on another carrier's towers.

Hope this helps
Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Just so there's no misunderstanding -- if you are on the family plan, the data plan (BIS) needs to be added for each line on the plan. There's no family plan BB data plan.
Closed Thread