BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Hook'emHorns
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Default 7100i SIM card

Please Login to Remove!

When I got my new 7100i, I did not want to lose my phone book from my Motorola i730, so I put my old SIM card into my BB to upload my phone list. It worked fine and the 7100i immediately worked with my old SIM card. In looking at the two SIM cards, they are IDENTICAL, except of course for the serial numbers. Why is it then that NEXTEL is telling me that my SIM card for the i730 can "fry" my BB?? If this is a dumb question I apologize, but as far as I can tell, the cards are the same make and model so I'm thinking they should be interchangable.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
cpufixrmatt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'emHorns
When I got my new 7100i, I did not want to lose my phone book from my Motorola i730, so I put my old SIM card into my BB to upload my phone list. It worked fine and the 7100i immediately worked with my old SIM card. In looking at the two SIM cards, they are IDENTICAL, except of course for the serial numbers. Why is it then that NEXTEL is telling me that my SIM card for the i730 can "fry" my BB?? If this is a dumb question I apologize, but as far as I can tell, the cards are the same make and model so I'm thinking they should be interchangable.
I'd say the person who told you that at Nextel is a moron, no way it can hurt your BB.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

I had someone the other day tell me that a sim will be fried in a blackberry unless it is the right type.

However yesterday I added BB Unlimited to an i530 SIM and successfully activated a 7520 on it.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
WiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonent
I had someone the other day tell me that a sim will be fried in a blackberry unless it is the right type.

However yesterday I added BB Unlimited to an i530 SIM and successfully activated a 7520 on it.
Yep, they will tell you that ALL THE TIME!

It gets a little annoying.
I've used EVERY phone Nextel has to offer, with a 32k, 64k, and 128k SIM.

Nothing is different except for the amount of space on each card.
With exception to the 32k sim, as it has a slightly different hierarchy for the phonebook. (this is why a condor phone cannot read a falcon SIM, but thats a whole different thread)

You will not blow up your blackberry by using a different sim than what is shipped with, provided the SIM isn't defective in the 1st place. This would casue it to fail in ANY device not just a BB or specific model of phone that it was paired to.

I think the problems arise becase the carriers use a programmed script to fully activate each new unit.
This probably has different options for MMS/SMS gateways. The difference from Web-based SMS to phone based SMS.

This also probably helps add the proper line items in FDT for BB dataplans, ect. by entering a BB SIM number. It is not going to blow up your phone, but they would rather not recomend this as it could cause more work to activate. (especially if you get a CS rep that is still a bit green)
Old 03-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: AT&T

there are very minr changes in the sim cards. you probably will not notice anything different. RECOMMENDATION: just copy the sim phone book to the phone and then use the sim that came with the phone. it only takes a few minutes on the phone to do a phone swap
Old 03-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
WiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextel User
there are very minr changes in the sim cards. you probably will not notice anything different. RECOMMENDATION: just copy the sim phone book to the phone and then use the sim that came with the phone. it only takes a few minutes on the phone to do a phone swap
I do not dispute that there may be a diffrerence. I am not an Engineer for Motorola / RIM / Nextel / or whoever makes SIM cards (Gemplus?)

I can only speak from my past experience.

I have found that most CS reps will tell you that SMS/MMS messaging will not work, and that it may damage the phone.
I have used any iDEN SIM, in Any iDEN phone. As long as CS and WW1 set the correct SIM number and MSN to the account ALL features that the SIM will support will work. MMS/SMS, Web, Phone, DC, ect.

I work at an ASC and we have every phone from Eagle to Falcon for service, except the lingo. I have added EVERY LAST ONE to my account with an i530 SIM, until I recently upgraded to the 7100. I then switched service to the new SIM because the company owned my last phone.

Other than the known differences in SIM's;
like from 32k to 64k - increased contact capacity to 600 numbers

From 64k to 128k - added the ability for SDGC

That is the ONLY firm answers anyone (I have found) can give.

So, pratel....what are these little differences that are so suttle we don't notice them, but they can destroy our phone? Anyone? Any Engineer? Sim Card Designer?.....Someone credible?

I can understand that there may be differences that possibly cannot be divulged fully for fear of repercussions and/or trade secret. So, be vague.

But before I beleive anything controdictory to what I have seen for myself, it will take more than "subtle differences" to persuade me otherwise.

So let's get to the truth here! I'm sure this is in a couple Thousand Threads around here. (I know it is on HoFo.)

Old 03-23-2006, 10:41 PM   #7
OtisK

PIN: na
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextel User

Yes that is what I tell people to do when I do swaps
Old 03-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

I used a i860 sim in a 7520 and a 7100i without an issue.
Closed Thread