Old 09-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
dirtypirate
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: 0.7 Red Ink
Carrier: Slave by Contract to AT&T
Arrow AT&T Blackberry Curve

Please Login to Remove!

So my wife does this program called "My Points" and she told me that AT&T is giving away the Blackberry Curve for free with a new two year contract. I found the specs for the phone and pasted them below. My only fear is that the phone they are giving away doesn't really have the GPS. I think they are trying to clear out the old ones? Which Curve will have the GPS, is it the 8310 model from AT&T???

If its not the right one, I'm tempted to get it anyway and the take it back after October 3rd and them have them upgrade me to the newest model?

From AT&T via "My Points.com"

Go here: Welcome to our Wireless World

Click on "More Phones" to view the list....

See Phones Images
See More Phones >>

BlackBerry Curve 8300 (Multimedia Phone)
The gorgeous BlackBerry Curve 8300 for AT&T really sets a high bar on style and functionality. Like all BlackBerry devices, the BlackBerry Curve 8300 provides possibly the best on-the-go email and calendar solution for mobile professionals. But this new BlackBerry Curve 8300 includes a 2.0 Megapixel camera, a rich experience media player, voice dialing and stereo Bluetooth. Built for smartphone lovers with a sense of style, the BlackBerry Curve 8300 is ready to work and dressed to impress.

Highlights
  • Smallest, Smartest, Most Stylish Full QWERTY Keyboard BlackBerry Yet
  • Powerful On-the-go Email Solution When Used With AT&T BlackBerry Add-on Plan Features
  • Advanced Bluetooth Wireless Technology Supports Streaming Stereo Music
  • Integrated Media Player Provides An Outstanding Music and Video-on-the-go Experience
  • Full Backlit QWERTY Keypad
  • 2.0 Megapixel Camera Shoots Print-quality Photos With Expandable Memory
  • Large, Beautiful Color Display
  • Voice-activated Dialing Lets You Dial The Phone With Just Your Voice
What's In The Box With The Phone
  • Additional Items Included - Battery, Wall Charger, User Guide, CD-ROM
Advanced Features
  • Digital Camera - Yes, 2.0 Megapixels (1600 x 1200 Pixel Resolution Max), Flash, Self-timer
  • MP3 Player - Yes, WMA Music and WMV Video Files Supported, Playlists, Shuffle
  • Attachment Viewing (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) - Yes
  • Bluetooth Wireless Technology - Yes, v2.0, Headset, Handsfree and Serial Port Profiles Supported
  • QWERTY Keyboard - Yes, Full QWERTY Keyboard With Backlight With Spell Checker
  • GPS Services Support - Yes, Get Turn-by-turn Audible Driving Directions
  • Bluetooth Stereo Headset (A2DP) - Yes, Stream Stereo Music To and From Compatible (A2DP) Bluetooth Devices
  • PC Synchronization - Yes, Seamlessly Synchronize Your Address Book, Calendar, Pictures and Email With Your PC
Messaging Features
  • Mobile Web Browsing - Full HTML Web browsing, One-touch Access, BlackBerry Maps Support
  • Multimedia Messaging - Yes, With Messaging or MEdia Add-on Rate Plan Feature
  • Text Messaging (SMS) - Yes, Plus Group Messaging, With Messaging or MEdia Add-on Rate Plan Feature, Spell Checker
  • Email Client - Amazing "Push" Real-time Email, Integrate w/ Up To 10 Accounts, VPN, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, Spell Checker
  • Instant Messenger Built-in - Yes, BlackBerry Messenger Pre-loaded, Spell Checker
Personalization and Fun Features
  • Polyphonic Ringtones - Yes
  • MP3 Ringtones - Yes, MP3 Real Music Ringtones Supported, Downloadable
  • Ringer Profiles - Yes
  • Games - Yes, Downloadable Java Titles
  • Customizable Graphics - Yes, Downloadable
Core Features
  • Color Main Display - 240 x 260 Pixels, Over 65,000 Colors Displayed, Auto-adjust To Ambient Light Saves Battery Life
  • Color - Black and Silver
  • Style - Candybar
  • Warranty - 1 Year BlackBerry Factory Warranty
  • Speakerphone - Yes, Full Duplex
  • Push-to-Talk - Yes
  • Voice-activated Dialing - Yes
  • To-Do List - Yes
  • Alarm - Yes
  • Calculator - Yes
  • Calendar - Yes
  • Mini-USB Port - Yes
  • Vibrate - Yes
  • TTY Compatible - Yes
Battery Life
  • Talk Time - Up to 240 Minutes
  • Standby Time - Up to 408 Hours
Technical Specifications
  • Application Platform - Java
  • Platform / Operating System - BlackBerry OS 4.2.2
  • Data Download Speed - EDGE (Up to 144 Kbps)
  • Network Compatibility - GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900
  • Compatible Carrier - AT&T
  • Ringtone Types Supported - MP3, MIDI, AAC, AAC+, eAAC, WMA
  • Internationally Compatible - Yes
  • 3G Data Speeds - Yes
  • Expandable Memory Capacity - MicroSD Card Format Compatible
  • Built-In Memory - 64MB
  • Dimensions - 4.2 in x 2.4 in x 0.6 in
  • Weight - 4.2 oz
Compatibility Features
  • Device Supports Voice Plans - Yes
  • Device Supports Blackberry Plans - Yes
  • Available For Purchase Without Service Plan - Yes
---Thnx in advance!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The 8300 does not have GPS built in but does support it via bluetooth puck. The 8310 has GPS built in (when it's released.)
Old 09-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

This is sorta funny. By now most folks who post in this thread are pretty much aware of what the Curve looks like... But with that long post and the GPS in red letters for the 8300 is just too silly...golly.
(And the link took me to the Razr phone...)

Last edited by zGuy; 09-29-2007 at 09:59 PM..
Old 09-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
boobybabymommy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A

Yeah but still you will need the puck as far as i know for the GPS to fully function in your phone.
Actually if you buy the cells from mypoints.com you will have to watch out because they have had too many problems, complaints about the rebates, many ppl saying not getting their rebates @ all and they have a horrible costumer service, if i was you, i'd get them phones from amazon which are $ free the first one and the second one $75.00, thats what im getting on Monday, its more reliable. of course the 8300 with AT&T $ (2 cells) the primary line gets the rebate but the second one doesn't.
still thats a hell of a price the problem is that the promotion is about to finish, also there is letstalk.com you can buy them 's with the AT&T plans the only thing is that you have to pay a full price for both but on the long run after mail n rebates they are just $9.99 but the promotion finishes on monday (oct 1st).
Also you get the rebates till after your 4th month of service.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybabymommy View Post
Yeah but still you will need the puck as far as i know for the GPS to fully function in your phone.
The point is: The 8300 does not have GPS built in; the 8310 does. That 1st post was silly in that regard...

Last edited by zGuy; 09-29-2007 at 10:02 PM..
Old 09-29-2007, 11:50 PM   #6
dirtypirate

zGuy... Yes I realize by now almost everyone on this forum knows that what the phone looks like. The picture is only there because I copied the information page as quoted by AT&T to be accurate.

I put the GPS lingo in red to save people the trouble of searching for it...

My point of the post was to simply find out that it is not the model I want, the 8310 is what I need to wait for. Thanks guys!

The link goes to the page with the Razr because thats the method I took to get the java popup window the the respective information. The other link I tried would not connect.

boobybabymommy ... Thank your for your insight into the problems with the MyPoints program... I wasn't aware of the troubles other have had and I appreciate you sharing in advance. I'll look into the other methods you have mentioned!!

Thanks for the support/feedback.

Last edited by dirtypirate; 09-29-2007 at 11:51 PM..
Old 09-30-2007, 12:11 AM   #7
boobybabymommy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Default Ya Welcome!

well, ya welcome, im just soooooooooo happy right now cus i just placed my order with amazon for the 8300, hehehe will have the phones in on wednesday:D im the happiest woman alive hehehehe, well im still lil sorry i didnt get the 8320 is just that i've doing a lil research and fund that the 8320 have lots of lil glitches and bugs and well even tho im a rookie on the BB forums and also a rookie BB owner:P i just dont want to have to put up with all that stuff right now, besides the 8310 is not coming out till late nov mids dec is what i've heard from a friend from RIM.
Anyways, will still have the use of the GPS Puck, will buy it on the side of course but i just cant wait to get my phone:D

besides one came out free after rebate and the other one not so bad for 75 bucks.

I also heard that Edge was faster than Wi-Fi when a test was performed.
Also im looking forward for the Curve Themes, cant wait to try those:D

Good luck to ya and if you want to buy the Curve for AT&T get it from Amazon, you can never go wrong with them, they are reliable.
The other sites if you make a review check you will find lots of complaint EVERYWHERE, LOTS of ppl not getting their rebates and having to pay double and extra charges made to your CC without your permission, and sometimes receiving the boxes with no phones inside.
Their costumer service is a pain to get to.
Again think of where you gonna buy your phones from.

InPhonic aint that great.

Jen

I Bought a Car and it was a Robot..............Who Knew!!!!
Transformers the Movie:D

Last edited by boobybabymommy; 09-30-2007 at 12:14 AM..
Old 09-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
dirtypirate

thanks, points well taken.
Closed Thread