BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
TurboVolvo

Model: 8120
Carrier: Rogers
Default Just how bad am I screwed?

Please Login to Remove!

First of all, this is my first BlackBerry, but I am not new to cell phones in general. I've yet to sign up for any BlackBerry plans, so I am using the Pearl as phone/text only.
Anyway, the unit worked great until I had this bright idea of loading some ringtones and wallpapers.
I installed the BlackBerry desktop manager I got from Rogers. The software advised that the phone was out of date and required updates. I went ahead with everything as instructed. Unfortunately somewhere half-way my PC logged out of my account and the upgrade was stopped.
When I booted the phone back up, I had some very simple text and a few options, but nothing seemed to work.
So I tried to re-load the update. The process first started with 'Errasing all applications'. Everything goes okay until it is time to initialize the phone and re-connect to JVM (whatever that stands for) at which point the program stops and I get 'Cannot complete update...'
Now the phone only displays a small icon with '507' underneath, no response from any keypresses (lights stay on too)
When I try to re-connect to the PC, the USB goes crazy and I get the Connect/disconnect sounds rapidly on/off.

What the hell did I do and how do I get my phone running again?
Please help. Otherwise I have to return the unit to Rogers or RIM and god only knows how long that'll take and what cost (Unit was bought from a reputable member on Howardforums.com)

Thanks for the help in advance. It's too bad my first post here had to be something so negative...
Old 11-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #2
rogersspy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700R
Default pearl

is it a brand new unit? Bring it back to the store, 30 days, 30 minutes to refund or exhange. Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Wink

I like that response, that the same reason i dont mess with mine until i get the one i claim on the insurance, the one i call, i and say i lost it at a club..hehehe
Old 11-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm not sure, but I thought there was a way to wipe or "format" the Pearl from Desktop Manager. Let me check.

Update: I looked at DM and did not see a way to format or wipe the Pearl.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-04-2006 at 12:16 AM..
Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #5
SanFrancisco

Look at this:

Problem: When trying to re-install an operating system that constantly intializes, Desktop Manager will not recognize the device.

Solution: The following walkthough!

FYI this will work for any handheld that constantly initializes.. aka the hourglass of doom.

1. Install the desktop software.

2. Install the handheld software. (If it is a non Vendor software.. exp. T-Mobile. search and delete the "vendor.xml" file.)

3. Pull the battery out of your device.

4. With the battery out connect the device to the computer.

5. Go to Options and select "connection settings"

6. Select USB PIN this may take a few moments since there is no battery in the device. you might even have to select detect device in some rare cases.

7. Select the application loader icon.

8. Select all software you want installed.

9. Proceed to the end portion untill you see the "Finish" button.

10. Very IMPORTANT. do not hit the finish button, instead select the ADVANCED button.

11. Make sure both boxes are checked.

12. Proceed until it asks you if you want to automatically back up and restore. Select DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY BACK UP MY HANDHELD.

13. Once the process starts. take care not to bump out the cord and re-insert the battery. Again on some rare occasions you might have to wait until it finishes saying connect to insert the battery.

THIS MAY FAIL THE FIRST OR SECOND TIME DONT WORRY JUST KEEP TRYING.

If you do not get it by the 3rd time.. download the Blackberry java developers kit and install it. once installed find the javaloader.exe file and move it into the c:\ directory

Once it is under the c:\, go to start then run and type. cmd.exe

After the command prompt apears type in "c:\javaloader -usb wipe" to wipe the handheld

*The reason I have highlighted Step 13 is that this is very important to do BEFORE the DM tries to re-start your device because it WILL NOT re-intialize your device IF THE BATTERY IS NOT IN YOUR DEVICE.

The above is from:

RIM Blackberry Forums - Pinstack.com

and

error 507.....help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!1 - RIM Blackberry Forums - Pinstack.com

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-03-2006 at 04:02 PM..
Old 11-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboVolvo
You sir are awesome. Thank you, that worked perfect.
I was ready to give up on life and all...
Great.... do you need my PayPal account number so you can send the $500 fee you agreed to pay [in your moment of desperation]. It was right there in my post, in the fine print.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
TurboVolvo

LOL Nice try! The "last modified...." gave it away

Next time you're in Toronto, I'll buy you a nice cup of Tim Hortons Coffee!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboVolvo
LOL Nice try! The "last modified...." gave it away

Next time you're in Toronto, I'll buy you a nice cup of Tim Hortons Coffee!
I was correcting a misspelling. Pay up.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #9
TurboVolvo

You sir are awesome. Thank you, that worked perfect.
I was ready to give up on life and all...
Old 11-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
GmcTyphoon

SanFran,

A better question may be how much of that $500 you are going to cut me in on considering the fact you just did a complete cut and paste word for word of my post from another website? 90% sounds good to me for origination fees. What do you think?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #11
Dollarman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Lol
Old 11-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmcTyphoon
SanFran,

A better question may be how much of that $500 you are going to cut me in on considering the fact you just did a complete cut and paste word for word of my post from another website? 90% sounds good to me for origination fees. What do you think?
First, I did a search and posted the effort. Took me about 10 minutes to find something that might help him and 30 minutes to put it all together.

Second, I said it came from another site.

Third, I provided links to the other site and your post.

Fourth, what's your point.

Fifth, how would you have handled helping him?

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-05-2006 at 05:36 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarman
Lol
Who threw you some peanuts?

Old 11-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #14
dr00t

Model: 8700G
Angry

Yo, Im new here... mainly because I am searching for help on this exact issue in this thread.

I have an 8700G and I wanted to find out how to load some apps... so I plugged in the desktop manager and what not... and as it was doing some "required updates"... it made it about 3/4 through the process before it gave me a failure message.... and I looked at my phone... all I get it some tiny little icon with a cross through it and the number "507" on the bottom.

I talked to Tmobile support, they sent me to RIM, but RIM isn't open on the weekends.

BUT, HERE IS THE PROBLEM.

Tmobile support had me perform the process listed above in this forum... and I have done everything down to the most minor detaisl...

However, no luck.

I don't get the "USB - Pin" option, mine doesnt even detect that its plugged into my computer. I tried with and without the battery...

Basically, my blackberry doesnt exist anymore and it cannot be detected on the computer at all.

Thank god I have a backup file, but I cant reload it until the darn thing connects.

Please help.

-Dan
Old 11-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #15
SanFrancisco

Look at my OP and click the links provided. That will take you to PinStack [another BB forum]. There they have much more detailed discussion about the issues.

In fact the way I found the info was to do a Google search "blackberry 507 error" and it took me to PinStack [of which I am also a member].

So you should read those threads as it may have information specific to your situation.

Also do a Google search like I did. Simply type in the phrase that best describes your problem and see what comes up.

Also, this does happen, so you never know, but have you tried a different USB cable, make sure it is fully seated and also a different USB port, and maybe even a different computer?

Have you checked XP's systems, device properties to see if the USB port is working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr00t
Yo, Im new here... mainly because I am searching for help on this exact issue in this thread.

I have an 8700G and I wanted to find out how to load some apps... so I plugged in the desktop manager and what not... and as it was doing some "required updates"... it made it about 3/4 through the process before it gave me a failure message.... and I looked at my phone... all I get it some tiny little icon with a cross through it and the number "507" on the bottom.

I talked to Tmobile support, they sent me to RIM, but RIM isn't open on the weekends.

BUT, HERE IS THE PROBLEM.

Tmobile support had me perform the process listed above in this forum... and I have done everything down to the most minor detaisl...

However, no luck.

I don't get the "USB - Pin" option, mine doesnt even detect that its plugged into my computer. I tried with and without the battery...

Basically, my blackberry doesnt exist anymore and it cannot be detected on the computer at all.

Thank god I have a backup file, but I cant reload it until the darn thing connects.

Please help.

-Dan
Old 11-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #16
jrdul6748
Thumbs Must Hurt

Someone's a little moody, eh?
Old 11-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #17
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdul6748
Someone's a little moody, eh?
You referring to me?

Enough off topic.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-05-2006 at 04:18 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #18
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr00t

-Dan
Keep us updated on any fixes you find. It helps other members, even though this is the 8100 Forum.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #19
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

There are instructions at the RIM Knowledge base for a complete uninstall of DM. IN FACT, you have installed the OS software on your PC correct? This requires you to download an .exe file and run it. If you have done that try the complete uninstall, and then run the OS software.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 11-05-2006 at 07:07 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #20
TurboVolvo

The first time I tried to re-connect the unit after the failure, I used my usb extension port. Gave me all kinds of problems. Once I plugged the data cable directly into the PC's port, I was able to connect the unit (with the battery removed)
Closed Thread