Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
radar-eclipse

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Why not to get a BB Storm

Please Login to Remove!

I love my Storm, except for when I go to use it. That's the funny thing thou, because you get it, so you can use it. I love the messaging menus and windows. I love the feel of the touch screen feedback, the screen size, the graphic quality. Being a Mac user took me a little extra effort to get iTunes and my pictures in there. I got my many many contacts sync'd from Apple's Address book. To scan between names (scrolling) is a little slow but I can deal with it.

But the real problem only starts with the limited (9) speed dial list, and trying to look up somebody that you need to call. I have 1100 contacts. I put the most important 100 or so up front by editing their names and adding a space in the front of them.

But trying to type a name for lookup is incredibly IMPOSSIBLE at times, more so when driving!!!!!!!!! Hey RIMM, pay close attention to this one, u idiots!

I took my Storm into Verizon and ask the Specialty tech to type the last name of Denton (first name is Jason...as there are too many of them). It took him only three tries while sitting and using one or two hands. When I do it, it starts to find Dr, Deb, Dem, Deb, then finally Den....Denton. This is seated at my desk, not in the car. Doing this in the car, FUHGETTABOUTIT!

Let's say your looking up somebody by the name Mark. You get to that person but hit the wrong Mark, so you need to look for a different person named Mark. So you hit the back button. WHY THE F_____ does it take you back to the letter A instead of M?

If you can turn the device horizontally so you have a single letter keyboard in order to do texting and email, why can't you do that to look up somebody's name in your contacts?????????? Hey RIMM, anybody???????

This user interface falls way short as it sucks balls!

When I go into pictures and choose a pic to view. It takes 8 seconds to switch between landscape and portrait viewing. What the hell!!!!!!!!
And at times in general, it doesn't know which way i am holding the device, vertically or horizontally.

I am using Verizon's latest software as the device was bought on 12/31.

I am now eyeing the BB Bold or iPHONE from AT&T. I played with a Bold and liked it somewhat, but it is limited on speed dial and I think it would take an extra step or two in getting to my contact names.
Anyone have some thoughts/feedback on using those? I need quick easy lookup of my contacts while driving. That's the first priority. Texting/emailing is important but not as much as my contact access.

Last edited by radar-eclipse; 01-18-2009 at 12:59 PM..
Old 01-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

First of all...u made me laugh..I don't know if ur mad, or your making fun of the Storm, but it sounded like stand up Comedy about what smartphones do wrong....lol....but hey u know, the Storm isn't for everybody, I mean I believe we have all experienced what u described about the Storm......, only some are patient enough to deal with it...to deal with the bugs that will soon be worked out...and be a apart of history....u know...we can say that we where the people that got Rims first touchscreen phone...and hey...by then we'll have better phones...we will all laugh at this phone, but maybe to some they'll be like, that was such a coooool phone..........if u like Blackberry try another one..don't stick with this one, cuz that would be dumb if u stay with something u don't like...get something else...and if u don't want something else,....DEAL WITH IT...LOL...like the rest of us...we enjoy finding out new things about why it doesn't do this or why it doesn't do that....its the joy of getting apps and making ur phone better than the next persons....

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
stumo

radar-eclipse, you might want to try using the program Vilingo to do voice commanded dialing. Works great and you don't need to take your eyes off the road nor do you have to record voice tags for your contacts. Works for me.

stumo
Old 01-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

1100 contacts? . . . .you have to be more selective in what you put in your address book!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Voice dial !!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
sharpshooter

Model: 9500
Carrier: vodafone

Exactly
Voice Prompt Denton
Easy
Old 01-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
SeanK89
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 25618CB9
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Don't get an iPhone, they is yucky..... BB Bold ftw!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
radar-eclipse

Voice dialing and voice commands....emm. So what happens when you say "touch myself?" LOL Just kidding.

I am trying out the Vlingo. Very cool and interesting. But it supports v4.6 on the BB and not specifically the Storm.

Stumo, are you using Vlingo on a Storm?

As for 1100 contacts, I know lots of people.

Ok, I have Vlingo in my download folder. I go to run it and it needs permissions. My keyboard pops up and gets in the freakin way. It says to accept, select SAVE from the BB menu. I hit the BB button and that's not an option. Ahw, I'm screwed. Help!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
radar-eclipse

An update to my problem. I got things fixed. I bought an iPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!!! And the AT&T service has been above my expectations. Sorry, BB dudes. Thanks for the Vlingo tip as it is cool as hell on the iP.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Peace been real...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #11
BBFanboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar-eclipse View Post
An update to my problem. I got things fixed. I bought an iPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!!! And the AT&T service has been above my expectations. Sorry, BB dudes. Thanks for the Vlingo tip as it is cool as hell on the iP.
Well, good luck with that... really.

I fixed the problem by having a phone with a keyboard. Also I can voice dial - which is built in - there is no need for vlingo just to voice dial on the BB.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar-eclipse View Post
welcome aboard.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

The Storm isn't the iphone, its simple as that. Apple set the bar with the completely touch interface and as of this date, no one has been able to replicate that experience. The BB is good at many thing, but isn't and probably never will be as good at what the iphone is good at.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #14
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus View Post
1100 contacts? . . . .you have to be more selective in what you put in your address book!
Ha! I have over 3000 contacts. That's what happens when you have a successful career.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 02-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Ha! I have over 3000 contacts. That's what happens when you have a successful career.
Lets all take a moment and bow down.....
Old 02-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

I am in the same boat seriously I pay for a phone to actually work!!!! No constant battery pulls/quickpull no resetting by itself and no constant dissapearing of the keyboard when you are trying to write on it. I thought I could fight it out , but you know the little things missing from the iphone I believe were easier to deal with. I might go back. This is the second time I returned to the STORM I heard so much about the great improvements with os updates but in reality its not better than it was. I am leaning heavily towards paying the 15 a month more and going back to iphone! The difference here is this iphone does what it says and does it seamlessly, Storm says it does alot , does alot but no where near seamless
Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangel View Post
I thought I could fight it out
I thought you could too, after all, you seem to be Mr Know it all.........you know more than most reps, right?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or what it is, but I've had mine since December 19th, and I'm still very happy with mine. I have had some glitches with the video camera, but none of the poor battery life or constant reboot issues that I hear so much about.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

ScottRPriester I don't know what the HELL your problem is but what does know more than the reps have anything to do with the STORM still not working right after updates!!! Your totally a VZW crony because your attack on me is unwarrented
Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #20
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

I just want to stress that Storm is by far the worst device to use when driving. It's almost impossible unless you are stopped. I couldn't stand using the iPhone long enough to actually want to bring it anywhere with me but I imagine it's the say. Both are definately two handed type devices.

The Curve though .. damn I nearly wrote a novel sending emails / txt back and forth from Boston.
Closed Thread