BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
bazpaul

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Vodafone IRELAND
Default Pearl USB Charging with Laptop??

Please Login to Remove!

Hey Guys, Hows things?

I am lokking for some sound advice and thought couldnt believe it when i found blackberryforums.com, a site dedicated to blackberrys is great!

I am currently working in an IT support team which supports BB's. One of our users reports his laptop crashing when connecting his BB to his USB port;

"USB charging current is not sufficient. Verify that your handheld is connected to a powered USB charging source and that the proper USB driver is installed."

I presume he is simple overloading the laptop with USB peripherals and drawing too much current? has anyone had a problem with this, is there a way to remedy this? Is there a way to turn off USB charging so that he can transfer files without it crashing? I presume he probably needs a higher power charger for his laptop, i.e a 90W power supply!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Here's a few things you can try.

If you don't want to install Desktop Manager, go to:
Microsoft Windows Update (NOTE: This link is to the Windows Update CATALOG site - NOT the Windows Update site. Internet Explorer is still required though!)

In the left column, click on Find Hardware Driver Updates, then click on Other Hardware from the list that appears in the right pane. Now, select [B]Research in Motion[B] from the Manufacturer Name list, and choose your Operating System (presumably Windows XP Home or Pro) and click the [Search] button. For XP Pro there's one driver that will appear. Download and install it.

Now, I'm not sure that will work - the driver is from October 2005, and the error message you're getting is from either a Pearl/8100 or 8800. Both devices require Desktop Manager 4.2 (preferably SP1), so if the Microsoft driver doesn't work, uninstall it - and any other software that appears in the Add/Remove Programs list that starts with BlackBerry - and download and install Desktop Manager 4.2 SP1. Of course, you can just do that to start with too!

That should fix your problem.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
bazpaul

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Vodafone IRELAND

do u have to install the software just to charge the device, is it not plug n play? like an ipod charging??

thanks for the help
Old 03-30-2007, 06:07 AM   #4
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazpaul
do u have to install the software just to charge the device, is it not plug n play? like an ipod charging??

thanks for the help
You would know the answer to that question better than me! I don't have any computers that don't have DM installed!

That said, older BB's used to be able to charge without drivers - as long as you put up with Windows complaining and permanently dismissed the error the first time you connected it, but I haven't tried it on the newer devices (Pearl/8100 or 8800).

Old 03-31-2007, 01:08 AM   #5
baconismidog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Needs the driver

Blackberries won't charge without the driver installed. If you are managing those workstions you can force a driver install with a script, you might just put BB users in a group in AD that needs to have that driver file on their machines, if your management software doesn't see the driver file it will install it. Might work, I bet that they don't need the new driver files, just the old ones. (Media cards will not be recognized though).

B
Closed Thread