Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Well, just to throw in my two cents - and I am not happy. I am not on my 2nd new Sprint BB 9650 Tour in two weeks. When streaming data (internet, video, etc) the signal reception went yoyo's when data streams were occuring (like 30% of the time). I got RSI signal reads from -80db to -127db (like never seen this low before).

On my second new unit now, when viewing youtube, I am frequently dropping the streams and getting the error message:
There was an error playing the video, please ensure you have a data plan and network access

I get this error using watching youtube videos using the Player for YouTube viewer (v1.2.34) and when watching youtube videos through the native BB Browser. Now, with the native browser, I may sometimes also get the following error also:

An error has occurred attempting to play media.

So, do some BB units have bad radios?
Edit/Delete Message

======== UPDATE====
I am on the phone with Sprint Blackberry Support now. They saw my previous devices' PIN was still attached to the BB Data Server (not the Email Server)...so this was corrected. I was asked to take the battery out and re-provisioned the phone. Still have the same issue...They got a test device (also a 9650 Bold) and got an error opening a youtube video... I am on hold...

<will report back later>

Last edited by winger13; 08-29-2010 at 05:34 PM..
Old 08-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #22
GoldenBlaze
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Winger, I believe some of the units have bad radios because I had the exact same thing happen to me on yesterday. I'm so frustrated right now with Blackberry. I'm seriously thinking about emailing someone on their executive level.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger13 View Post

======== UPDATE====
I am on the phone with Sprint Blackberry Support now. They saw my previous devices' PIN was still attached to the BB Data Server (not the Email Server)...so this was corrected. I was asked to take the battery out and re-provisioned the phone. Still have the same issue...They got a test device (also a 9650 Bold) and got an error opening a youtube video... I am on hold...

<will report back later>
So after a marathon of approx 4 hours on the phone with the following groups:

Sprint BB tech (two levels)
BB Support (level 1) - various debugging steps including manually deleted all service books, repushed all to device, installing (on PC) BB device software (Sprint specific) then uploading to device (supposed to bring device back to factory default software configuration).
BB Support (level 2) - reviewed my BB server settings, reviewed most of case notes...suggested a replacement
Sprint Acct Service (transferred here by mistake)
Sprint Advanced Tech (he tried to re-start entire debug process from scratch, screw him, hell no) - he was supposed to just take my notes and get me to Advanced Replacements/Ordering...It looks like they are closed. He will call me back tonight.

==============
Using Player for Youtube:

OK, so I keep playing my favorite video (RayWilliamJohnson)...this morning....it keeps crashing at about 57 seconds.

So, I tried this: once video stream starts, anywhere from 2 seconds to 30 seconds (I tried several different times), I hit pause (I varied pause from just 1 sec to about 10 secs), then play again.

Each time I did this manual pause-then-play, the video plays to completion.

Does this look like a software/hardware BB device glitch or what???

Can anyone try this 'fix' to see if it solves your streaming issue as well ?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #24
GoldenBlaze

Quote:
So after a marathon of approx 4 hours on the phone with the following groups:

Sprint BB tech (two levels)
BB Support (level 1) - various debugging steps including manually deleted all service books, repushed all to device, installing (on PC) BB device software (Sprint specific) then uploading to device (supposed to bring device back to factory default software configuration).
BB Support (level 2) - reviewed my BB server settings, reviewed most of case notes...suggested a replacement
Sprint Acct Service (transferred here by mistake)
Sprint Advanced Tech (he tried to re-start entire debug process from scratch, screw him, hell no) - he was supposed to just take my notes and get me to Advanced Replacements/Ordering...It looks like they are closed. He will call me back tonight.

==============
Using Player for Youtube:

OK, so I keep playing my favorite video (RayWilliamJohnson)...this morning....it keeps crashing at about 57 seconds.

So, I tried this: once video stream starts, anywhere from 2 seconds to 30 seconds (I tried several different times), I hit pause (I varied pause from just 1 sec to about 10 secs), then play again.

Each time I did this manual pause-then-play, the video plays to completion.

Does this look like a software/hardware BB device glitch or what???

Can anyone try this 'fix' to see if it solves your streaming issue as well ?

Winger, I would call back if I were you and demand that Sprint send you a brand new device like I did at no cost to you. I wouldn't wait on them to call you back. As most companies would do, they hope you forget about it and deal with the messed of device you have. The radio is bad in some of these Bold devices. This is my second replacement. When I had the curve, I have absolutely no issues with it. I really hate now that I sold it. If this next replacement is bad, they will be giving me an HTC device. I'm getting really frustrated becuase I use my blackberry both for work and for personal use. I prefer a blackberry device, that's why I paid the regular retail price for the Bold. I hope your issue gets resolved.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze View Post
Winger, I would call back if I were you and demand that Sprint send you a brand new device like I did at no cost to you. I wouldn't wait on them to call you back. As most companies would do, they hope you forget about it and deal with the messed of device you have. The radio is bad in some of these Bold devices. This is my second replacement. When I had the curve, I have absolutely no issues with it. I really hate now that I sold it. If this next replacement is bad, they will be giving me an HTC device. I'm getting really frustrated becuase I use my blackberry both for work and for personal use. I prefer a blackberry device, that's why I paid the regular retail price for the Bold. I hope your issue gets resolved.
Does your device still stall/drop when streaming videos from youtube? If yes, does my pause-then-play fix the issue?

Out of curiosity, did you do your replacement via phone or at a store? IF over the phone:
1) did you have to pay for the unit, then get a refund when they received the defective unit?
2) which department did you deal with?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #26
GoldenBlaze

Quote:
Does your device still stall/drop when streaming videos from youtube? If yes, does my pause-then-play fix the issue?

Out of curiosity, did you do your replacement via phone or at a store? IF over the phone:
1) did you have to pay for the unit, then get a refund when they received the defective unit?
2) which department did you deal with?

My device does the stall/drop when streaming videos from youtube. I did an "update profile" with a battery pull and it seemed to have gotten worse. Instead of playing only about 58 seconds of the video, it would only play about 35 seconds after the profile update and battery pull. That ultimately made me call customer service. Also, my phone has started dropping calls.

My phone was replaced via phone. I did not have to pay for the unit AT ALL. I dealt with advanced technical support over the phone. I was gonna take it in to the store but in my area, a tech wasnt avaliable so I called customer service. Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #27
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze View Post
My device does the stall/drop when streaming videos from youtube. I did an "update profile" with a battery pull and it seemed to have gotten worse. Instead of playing only about 58 seconds of the video, it would only play about 35 seconds after the profile update and battery pull. That ultimately made me call customer service. Also, my phone has started dropping calls.

My phone was replaced via phone. I did not have to pay for the unit AT ALL. I dealt with advanced technical support over the phone. I was gonna take it in to the store but in my area, a tech wasnt avaliable so I called customer service. Hope this helps.
Hold on....is your current phone still having issues? IF YES, have you tried the pause-then-play method on the youtube videos? This seems to have fixed the issue for me (I will do more testing as time allows).

So, when you did the exchange,they did not charge you then credit the account once they received the defective phone (to ensure you returned it)? They (advanced tech + order support) told me this was the only way.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #28
GoldenBlaze

Quote:
Hold on....is your current phone still having issues? IF YES, have you tried the pause-then-play method on the youtube videos? This seems to have fixed the issue for me (I will do more testing as time allows).

So, when you did the exchange,they did not charge you then credit the account once they received the defective phone (to ensure you returned it)? They (advanced tech + order support) told me this was the only way.
I tried the pause-then-play method and the device would freeze up forcing me to do a battery pull. When I did the exchange, I stated that I paid the full retail price for the device, I was still under my 1yr warranty, I want a brand new device at no cost to me because the one that I have is defective, and that I use my device for work and the current condition of my phone is unacceptable. The agent saw the constant complaints from me regarding the same issue (data reception) on the device and immediately ordered a new one to come to my house.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #29
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just an update - I got my new Bold. Same issue, same temporary workaround. I have an open case with BB Tech Support. The last thing was two days ago they asked for a sample video, and I sent them a RayWilliamsJohnson video that crashed 57 into the video (as expected) using the Player for Youtube appl.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #30
GoldenBlaze

Quote:
Just an update - I got my new Bold. Same issue, same temporary workaround. I have an open case with BB Tech Support. The last thing was two days ago they asked for a sample video, and I sent them a RayWilliamsJohnson video that crashed 57 into the video (as expected) using the Player for Youtube appl.
My youtube is still crazy but the reception is a bit better since I upgraded to the 5.0.732 OS.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #31
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Try the .810 upgrade it will even be better reception.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #32
charlieconsupmtion

Carrier: Rogers

I've also found that if you close out all other applications and just have the base 5 applications running the reception is far better for data. I've had no issues withe dropped calls. To note i'm on edge and rogers in canada and not using cdma / sprint.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #33
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Youtube issue - update

I still have an open case with BB Tech Support (they have been pretty pathetic in their requests,,,let me rephrase, their general approach has been pathetic).

One thing i did do today - download/installed BerryJoose.

I've been playing youtube withOUT any errors so far !!! I will report back next week to see how things go.

Last edited by winger13; 10-07-2010 at 09:55 PM..
Closed Thread