Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
Venge97RI

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 8900 Broken already

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone.. as you can see this is my 1st post here..and unfortunately its not a good one.

i called t-mobile customer service , and was able to get a good agent and ordered myself the javlin 8900. and to my amazement it was overnighted and arrived at my door this afternoon.. of course i was exitedly playing with it. and checking out all the fun new functions..

i decided to let it charge for a while.. and it was working fine.. went to the clock screensaver.. and then i was goin to try playing with the RIM desktop software.

once i plugged it into my PC with the supplied cable. i got an error message about a USB device exceeding the allowed power . and unplugged it.. then plugged it back into the charger... Here is where it gets weird. when i plugged it into the micro usb charger. it crashed the unit. just going to a white screen, i am able to reboot it , but its not charging the battery.

so now im stuck with a less than 12 hr old device, and a dead battery with no way to charge it.. looks like something is wrong with the micro-usb connector , as i have tried several different micro-usb cables , and all had the same effect .

what i would like to do , is hot swap it at the store , but i know that probably wont happen , or purchase a blackberry charging pod that will bypass the micro usb connecter , allowing for a temporary fix ( i dont see this happening either , as i doubt any t-mobile stores will have the correct charging pod)

just incredlbly frustrating.. and i know its at least a few day fix to get it all resolved and a new unit into my hands..

anyone got any suggestions ???
Old 01-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

If you call T-Mobile and explain what happened, they can probably overnight you a new device and it will only take a day. Otherwise, you're kind of in a tough spot with not being able to charge it.

That's kind of the way it goes with mass produced electronics, if they're going to fail abruptly, normally they do it right away. And there's bound to be some bad eggs in there considering how many of them they pump out each day for a launch date.

Curious, does the computer still detect it when you plug in the usb cable? If so, you might get a trickle charge from that, enough to charge the battery overnight if the phone is off.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Venge97RI

i know.. im sure i can call them, and they will overnight a phone to me.. just annoying and , i spent most of the day waiting for UPS to begin with ..

i know stuff breaks sometime.. just needed to vent a lil.. i'll try your suggestion to see if the PC will trickle charge it overnight

thanks for the reply

*edit*

yea i tried charging it on both usb and power cable.. no difference.. doesnt charge at all.. gonna see if i can get my hands on a new phone by friday..

Last edited by Venge97RI; 01-29-2009 at 01:52 AM..
Old 01-29-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Crappy, sorry to hear about it.. I know how it is to wait for the new toy, and having it die within hours can be frustrating. Thanks for taking one for the team! (Someone has to be the first in a "1 in 10,000" failure rate)

Hopefully they get you taken care of quickly and you've got a new one by the weekend. Hey, it's still ahead of most of the other people out there!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
jonberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 950

Make sure the USB cable is plugged directly into the PC.

Using a USB hub can cause problems.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Venge97RI

I ended up calling T-Mobile this morning , and they credited me $10 on my plan , and are express shipping me another 8900 , to replace the one that wont charge. so hopefully it will be like the last one , and get overnight shipped..

as a bit of a insurance policy , i also purchased a charging pod for it from newegg and am having that overnighted as well , so i should be able to charge mine , if the new one doesnt make it in time. hopefully the new one will actually work for more than 3 hrs LOL
Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
TheTechGuy

My first 8900 arrive on Tuesday. Unfortunately it came with a damaged green call button. I called support right away and they shipped me out a new one. It showed up today and everything seems to be working fine. It took less than 48 hours to get here which is really good. They are waiving all my shipping charges (both the original phone and the new one) and they also credited me $10 to pay for the cost of returning the broken phone.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Venge97RI

well the new phone (and charging stand) is here.. so here we go again .. hopefully this one lasts more than 3 hrs
Old 01-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venge97RI View Post
well the new phone (and charging stand) is here.. so here we go again .. hopefully this one lasts more than 3 hrs
Just a wild guess: when you got the message that the USB device exceeded the power limit (I assume the message was on the pc, not the phone) maybe the phone charging system said whoa and it wouldn't charge after that (you said it was charging fine before the message). Maybe pulling the battery would've reset that error. Of course the charging port could have been faulty. I don't use unpowered usb connections on anything anymore and I always connect my phone directly to the pc and avoid my powered hub (use that for camera, scanner, and ipod no problems)
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
seattleboi1982
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 20dc4f4f
Carrier: AT&T/T-Mobile

Does the device charge with the ac adaptor?
Closed Thread