BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
rohardi
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default My 7130 blackberry or treo??????

Please Login to Remove!

I have hade 4 7130s since Jan. of this year. I have issues with the person I'm on the phone with having a echo when they speak. Verizon swears it's not the network. So they have swapped out my phone 4 times now. At this point I am looking into the Treo 700w. How would email work on a Treo? I'm using gmail now. I would like to stay with verizon, I know there is a 8700 device on the horizon but I want to get rid of my 7130 sooner rather than later.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
Seawolf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Maybe you have a hearing problem.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
rohardi

it's not me that has the problem. It's on the other end of the call. they hear there voice echo in there ear when they talk. any ideas????
Old 06-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
gwar11d2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohardi
it's not me that has the problem. It's on the other end of the call. they hear there voice echo in there ear when they talk. any ideas????
This fequently happens when the caller has thier speaker/headset turned up too high and the microphone is picking up the echo. If it's happening on thier end and not yours, it's probably not your phone but thiers... It can also sometimes be the network, but if it happens all the time with this particular caller, I would bet more on thier phone/network and not your blackberry...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
ceebz

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F2E165

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohardi
I have hade 4 7130s since Jan. of this year. I have issues with the person I'm on the phone with having a echo when they speak. Verizon swears it's not the network. So they have swapped out my phone 4 times now. At this point I am looking into the Treo 700w. How would email work on a Treo? I'm using gmail now. I would like to stay with verizon, I know there is a 8700 device on the horizon but I want to get rid of my 7130 sooner rather than later.
After four handsets, I think it would be safe to say it's something else.

And if audio quality is important to you, Treo's not the way to go.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
rebeldevil2003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

i have heard alot of horror stories about the treo 700. palm built the treo to work with palm os, now that there is a high demand for windows on handhelds they basically deleted palm os and added windows mobile. from all the accounts i have heard this causes zxtreme programing issues. its like buying a mac and deleting the mac os and them loading windows xp it isnt going to work properly.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
Webby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-Mobile

Treo 700w is the worst. I'd go with the 700p. But that's jmo. Stick with the blackberry.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
ajg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: M600i
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'd stick with the BB. Treos are nice but Windows Mobile just is a little too flaky. Palm OS is really getting old and has a lot of stability issues. Although, I've read that the 700p fixed a lot of them.

As for the echo, that's usually a network issue but keep in mind that if you're calling another cellphone, there are two cell towers involved. Yours and theirs. That's the real problem when determining cell issues. But after 4 7130's, I'd vote it either isn't the Blackberry but is either who you're calling or the network you're connected to.

A few questions: Does this echo happen everywhere? (Home, school, work, other cities, etc.) Did you have another phone before the BB and the echo didn't happen with that handset? Does the echo happen when calling a specific number or carrier?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #9
rohardi

the echo will happen if I'm calling anyone on any network. Even on land lines. no matter where I'm located at. It Makes no sence. It's so anoying that people won't talk to me.[
QUOTE=ajg]I'd stick with the BB. Treos are nice but Windows Mobile just is a little too flaky. Palm OS is really getting old and has a lot of stability issues. Although, I've read that the 700p fixed a lot of them.

As for the echo, that's usually a network issue but keep in mind that if you're calling another cellphone, there are two cell towers involved. Yours and theirs. That's the real problem when determining cell issues. But after 4 7130's, I'd vote it either isn't the Blackberry but is either who you're calling or the network you're connected to.

A few questions: Does this echo happen everywhere? (Home, school, work, other cities, etc.) Did you have another phone before the BB and the echo didn't happen with that handset? Does the echo happen when calling a specific number or carrier?[/QUOTE]
Old 06-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
abbydog3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c
Default Treo is no more

I just replaced my Treo 650 with a brand new BB 7130c. OMG!

Why did I resist so long?

The device is same size, but half the weight.
The OS is rock solid and other than being lost with a new OS, I am loving it!

If anyone is on the fence, drop your WM5 and Treos and go right now to check out the 8700 or 7100 devices!

Cheers
Old 06-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
diegosalinas
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree...it took me all of one day to get used to suretype on my 7130c and i LOVE this BB

the treo was so "heavy" i would not want to take it with me anywhere if i was not carrying my bag

this 7130c is so light i can just slip it in my pocket ...i'm not a fan of the holster look
Old 06-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #12
marcfogel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

I have been using Blackberry's since 1999/2000. Last week I decided to give the Treo w / Goodlink a shot. It wasn't too bad. The Treo has its purpose but for me it was back to the BB and a new 7130c.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
abbydog3

Model: 7130c
Default suretype

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegosalinas
I agree...it took me all of one day to get used to suretype on my 7130c and i LOVE this BB

the treo was so "heavy" i would not want to take it with me anywhere if i was not carrying my bag

this 7130c is so light i can just slip it in my pocket ...i'm not a fan of the holster look
Plus I alway had a dictionary program installed on my Treo, but now with suretype at least it helps me spell! ;)
Old 06-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
1badtwo

Model: 9700

The 700w's are horrid. We ordered 7 when they were released for biz customers, within two weeks 6 of us were back on BB's and the 7th Treo was slammed into a brick wall by my boss . We ran the Goodlink software in hopes to replace our BES server, its got some nice features but sometimes youd never get your email. Even while set on auto sync, or sync every 5 minutes that junk didnt work. We played with 650's before that and they seemed to work well but we dont want palm OS we wanted mobile 5.0.

I have verizon and I have had people complain that they hear me echo, but I never notice a lack in quality on my end. <-7130e
Old 06-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #15
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtwo
The 700w's are horrid. We ordered 7 when they were released for biz customers, within two weeks 6 of us were back on BB's and the 7th Treo was slammed into a brick wall by my boss . We ran the Goodlink software in hopes to replace our BES server, its got some nice features but sometimes youd never get your email. Even while set on auto sync, or sync every 5 minutes that junk didnt work. We played with 650's before that and they seemed to work well but we dont want palm OS we wanted mobile 5.0.

I have verizon and I have had people complain that they hear me echo, but I never notice a lack in quality on my end. <-7130e
Uhh..GoodLink does not have a setting for auto-sync or sync every 5 minutes. You sure it was GoodLink you were trying?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #16
1badtwo

Sorry you are right, we tried goodlink with the 650's and it worked well. The 700w's use active sync and that is where those settings are located.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #17
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtwo
Sorry you are right, we tried goodlink with the 650's and it worked well. The 700w's use active sync and that is where those settings are located.
OK. Whew!

ActiveSync doesn't surprise me. Shoulda tried GL on the 700W's too.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #18
1badtwo

Yes, the goodlink software worked well with the 650's. We wanted Mobile 5.0 so we could just use exchange and no 3rd party vendor. But to put it bluntly the 5.0 OS sucks and/or exchange doesnt work right with mobile 5.0
Old 06-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #19
bankdude

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

I recently switched from a Treo 650 to a Sprint 7130e. I also tried the Verizon 7130e for 2 weeks before the 7130 was released on Sprint.

My Treo experience was good, but I was forced to switch due to my company going to a BES as the only supported wireless e-mail allowed. However, I viewed and used the Treo as a smartphone - a cell phone with e-mail capabilities. I didn't load 50 3rd party applications and try to turn it into an iPod, a movie player, a microwave oven, and an electric back scratcher as many people in the treo forums go on and on about. As a smartphone, it worked fine with some minor phone voice quality and reception complaints. The Sprint Business Connection desktop e-mail forwarding worked great. If Sprint offered and supported BB Connect, I would have stayed with the Treo.

With that said, I really like the 7130 and use it in a similar fashion - as a phone with e-mail capabilities. I can definitely say that the Sprint 7130 is more stable than the Verizon one I used - no random resets, no in and out EVDO as was covered in these forums, and the phone voice and reception quality is comparable to any other cell phone I have ever owned or used. E-mail with BES is rock solid and OS integration of contacts to call, e-mail, SMS, or MMS people is awesome.

If I have an overall point to your original question its that the Treo 650 was not drastically better or worse than the 7130 I am using now and the Sprint 7130 has been more reliable and stable than the Verizon one I used.
former Treo 650 user
Old 06-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #20
RWilli999

Model: 7130e

My BB 7130e seems to only echo on the other end after I have been connected to the Motorola HF850 car kit, then disconnect and place or receive a call not connected to any bluetooth device. If I reset the BB, the echo appears to go away. There must be some technical issue with the BB that no one wants to address. Other than that it is a fantastic device. Light, easy to operate, quality sound and screen resolution.
Closed Thread