BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
TheDempster

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Why is this so tuff? Send and sms and get back an sms with Google Maps location link

Please Login to Remove!

New to the site, I think its great.

I have searched, and went through Blackberry GPS Phone tracking applications with a fine tooth comb on this site, Google, and a variety of BB sites.

There are dozens of Windows Mobile applications that run in background (hidden) waiting for you to send an SMS to the phone, that will send back an SMS to a designated SMS phone number with a Google maps location link on GPS enabled phones. You click on the link, it opens Google maps in your browser, and WALA, the phone location is shown in Google maps.

This is all done right on the phone

Simple right? The idea is to track a lost or stolen phone, with out the application polling all the time until it is sent the secret message (which does not show on the phone as an SMS message).

I have been looking for a Blackberry app that does the same thing for OS 4.5 BB 8300 on sprint (No SIM Card).

All these apps want you to log into there servers, sent emails, notify the person with the phone that its stolen, whistles and bells Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

I have an app on my HTC WM6 Touch Pro (CDMA-Sprint) that does just what I am requesting. I am looking for an app similar for my daughters CDMA-
Sprint) BB 8300.

This is a link to the App that has been developed for WM6, and it is Free by the way.

smartphonetracker.blogspot.com(sorry it's not a link I can't post one because I am new to the forums.

Lose your phone find it. Looking for your kid find them. Phone is Stolen find it. Free and it works, no service contracts, email not required but optional, Google Maps interface (free).

Why hasn't some BB developer come up with something like this?

I would even be willing to pay up to $30-40.00 for the simplicity, and the issue of not having to use a specialized service.

Palm devices (had one of those too) even have many apps available like this.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
jonberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 950
Carrier: T-Mobile
Lightbulb SendAFix

Something like this?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
TheDempster

After research I just found your suggestion -SendaFix.

I am going to give it a whirl.

Thanks

Last edited by TheDempster; 03-25-2009 at 08:47 AM..
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
TheDempster

It would be interesting to see if there is anything else out there. Still looking for other alternatives.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
elfaure
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Wirelessly posted (Sprint BB Curve 8330 w/ CDMA O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDempster
It would be interesting to see if there is anything else out there. Still looking for other alternatives.
Not exactly what you are after but checkout roblock.
Closed Thread