Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
mweiss1979

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Pictures garbled after transfer/move

Please Login to Remove!

I'm using ver 4.2.2.170 of the OS and BBDM 4.6 with Roxio for BB (No version info available in the software...)

Anyways, I took quite a few pictures on the phone during a business trip. All photo's looked perfectly fine when viewing them in the "My Pictures" folder in the media area of the phone.

Plug the phone into laptop, fire up BBDM, and then Roxio for BB. Move to "Device Memory" as the source, and a folder on my desktop as the "Destination." I select all and click "Move Up."

Start reading through some email and after 5-10 minutes check to see if the transfer is done. All pictures moved up to the laptop from the phone, and all pictures are GREY! When trying to open the pictures I get an error that reads "Loading of one or more Plug-in files has failed. The plug in files might be either corrupt or not valid." No more pictures on the phone.

So i try and "Copy down" all the pictures. Once that is done, I can view the pictures on the phone... sorta. All my pictures now have static garbled lines through them. I try and copy them back to the laptop just for kicks and they're all grey still.

Now I can understand if I had updated the phone, or my laptop, or bumped something, or pulled out the cable, or SOMETHING!! But I'm an IT guy and was very careful in making sure to transfer these files in a way that has worked for me previously. I moved some pictures of the phone the other day in he exact same way and had no issues.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to recover these pictures in their original quality? Or do BlackBerry's just randomly ruin pictures? If so this phone is a hockey puck and I'll go back to Smart Phones.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T

How about connecting your device as a mass storage and view your files from there? Or if it is possible to attach one of the pics and send it over email.. so that you can view it as an attachment.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
mweiss1979

I suppose I can try that, although the pictures still show up garbled on the phone. Are you presuming that a different transfer method of tainted pictures will allow them to display correctly?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
raja_3012

If the pictures show garbled up in the phone itself then I do not think it will be of much help by transferring pics via a different mechanism.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
mweiss1979

Yes the original transfer was a "move."

In the future I will most assuredly select "Copy" first, but that will be determined by whether or not I can recover these pictures. If I cannot, I don't expect I will be using or purchasing Blackberries for me or my users in any near future.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
raja_3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweiss1979 View Post
Yes the original transfer was a "move."

In the future I will most assuredly select "Copy" first, but that will be determined by whether or not I can recover these pictures. If I cannot, I don't expect I will be using or purchasing Blackberries for me or my users in any near future.
Wow.. no offense but do you think just a picture not being clear should be a yardstick for anyone else to decide whether or not they should use a BB.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_3012 View Post
Wow.. no offense but do you think just a picture not being clear should be a yardstick for anyone else to decide whether or not they should use a BB.
How do you know the camera wasn't a primary purchasing consideration?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
mweiss1979

Actually, the camera was not the primary purchasing consideration, but Mr. Raja up there needs to re-read my post. They are not "blurry" they are 'GRAY." As in when opened on my laptop, nothing is viewable but a field of gray. When they were moved back to the phone, there are "lines of static" as I said above. To clarrify, imagine the "snow" you get on a TV, take a line of that 50 pixils wide and paste it across a photograph a few times, and throw in a discolorations and tweak the "V Sync" and you'll have an idea of what I'm looking at.

I'm not complaining about poor quality pictures, I'm complaining about pictures that were perfectly fine until I decided to choose the "Move" options instead of the "Copy" option.

I thought I made that very clear in the original post I made.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
raja_3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
How do you know the camera wasn't a primary purchasing consideration?
"CO_BBTechie" - If camera is the prime consideration for a cell phone no one would buy a BB 8300. Nokia N95 would have been the choice.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
mweiss1979

Thanks for all the help guys... or lack there of. I guess I"ll chalk this phone up as "Expensive hockey puck, that does not work correctly."
Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweiss1979 View Post
Thanks for all the help guys... or lack there of. I guess I"ll chalk this phone up as "Expensive hockey puck, that does not work correctly."
I haven't read a whole lot of good things about Roxio. I've taken many pictures with my BB 8330 and been pleased with the results and able to share them via several methods (MMS, e-mail, and transfer to my laptop).

But I am connecting via USB and treating my BB like a drive. The one thing about your set up that I don't have going on...it sounds like you might have saved the original pictures in device memory? I would strongly encourage you to get a memory card and default the camera to save to that.

I can understand why you would be frustrated and unwilling to continue to use a BB. When you have pictures of something you think is important and the mere act of transferring them ruins them...well I'd want to toss my device out the window.

Please give the BB another chance using a memory card and defaulting the save, as well as using the USB connection as a drive rather than using Roxio.

Maybe someone else can come up with suggestions on how you might be able to get back what you lost (I'm afraid I'm no help there).
Closed Thread