Old 01-02-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Playstation 3 messed up my UMA

Please Login to Remove!

For compatibility reasons the Sony Playstation 3 uses bluetooth. The controllers are wireless and probably bluetooth and you can pair bluetooth headsets to it. I got my Motorola H700 to pair with it. I think bluetooth keyboards can also be used with it.

That's all great, but then I noticed it interfered with my UMA. Calls started dropping or the phone wouldn't connect. Data worked fine, but not calls. Previously I could use my H700 bluetooth headset and UMA at the same time with no problems. But the Playstation 3 is probably putting out a very strong signal. And when using the Playstation, it's physically in between me and the router.

Luckily I was able to change my Linksys router to channel 3 and up the output power. That's given me the UMA connection back. I'm running DD-WRT firmware on it which let me boost the signal from the default 28, to 50. I picked channel 3 since my other router had been running on that and the phone favored that router. So I assumed the Playstation was interfering with the Linksys on channel 8. I swapped those 2 channels with the Linksys running on 3. But that could be just coincidental.

Anyway, just something to consider when you're shopping for a game console.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Since my bro got a PS3 I've been having all sorts of problem with my UMA.. sometimes calls are not going through, emails and even sms. When I turned my wifi off, then all my emails and sms are coming...

I wonder if PS3 is really the cause of this, maybe I should prioritize my Blackberry over the PS3.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

We have it the other way around with PS2 and our wireless router (no uma). When the wireless router is on, the wireless guitars for Guitar Hero will drop constantly.

Darn technology!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
We have it the other way around with PS2 and our wireless router (no uma). When the wireless router is on, the wireless guitars for Guitar Hero will drop constantly.

Darn technology!

yea... so much conflict

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
absoluteevel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 241C4261
Carrier: T-Mobile

Have you tried enabling the "bluetooth coexistence mode" in ddwrt?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Where is the "bluetooth coexistence mode" in ddwrt? I've got v23 sp2 and don't see that. Is it in a newer version?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
absoluteevel
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just switched my router to the latest RC (6) of v24 and it is there in wireless/advanced.

The feature might require hardware support, so it might only be on certain routers. I put dd-wrt on a WRT54GS v4.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
monkeypaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteevel View Post
I just switched my router to the latest RC (6) of v24 and it is there in wireless/advanced.

The feature might require hardware support, so it might only be on certain routers. I put dd-wrt on a WRT54GS v4.
Pretty cool. Wonder what it does. I think that firmware is not listed as stable yet, but if it helps with bluetooth, it might be worth some instability.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
absoluteevel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here is a generic description. I think each manufacturer's methods are different, but it might give an idea.

http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/...7/75015951.pdf

It looks like both ends of the connections have to support it. I do know that many network cards have settings in windows to allow for bluetooth coexistance.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
monkeypaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteevel View Post
Here is a generic description. I think each manufacturer's methods are different, but it might give an idea.

http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/...7/75015951.pdf

It looks like both ends of the connections have to support it. I do know that many network cards have settings in windows to allow for bluetooth coexistance.
Looks like its fixable for when both the bluetooth and wifi device are communicating with the same device. Seems that it sends shorter signals over wifi so they fit in between the bluetooth packets. Then connects back up and sends more. Not sure how the router having that capability would affect things since it's not the router that's communicating with both bluetooth and wifi, it's the phone.

It does make some of those DD-WRT settings make more sense. My read is that maybe a faster beacon rate with a smaller transmission amount might be the way to go. Not sure if that's what those settings do, but I'm going to take a look at the router settings again.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

I would suggest using either channel 0, 6, or 11 - they generally offer the best signal quality for Wifi.
Closed Thread