Old 11-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #21
Xaneth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor1 View Post
i upgraded 11-4 from 8820 to 9000 bold. i really like the new bold. i am going to need to try and figure out how to get the browser to render pages with somewhat larger, more readable text. i also have struck out getting any speed test site to render any downstream and upsteam results on the new 3g network. a cnet page that looked promising started a test and said it might take a few minutes, but then it wouldn't complete after 5 minutes or so (kept displaying same message) (this failure repeated on several attempts). i recall dslreports.com's speed test site explaining something about rim or blackberries not ordinarily working with speed test site but it seems like i should be able to find one that really works.

i love the display. phone works fine and i had no trouble getting bluetooth in car to work with bold like it did for 8820. (and that's saying a lot because i'm not tech savvy at all.) i'm going to try to slog through lengthy user guide this weekend. expect there will be a lot of new stuff
I ran speed tests over at dslreports (Mobile speed test). I chose the largest file possible, 1 MB, and I'm getting "unstable/too fast a result 1.703s) please choose a larger file" but that's the largest file I can choose.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #22
TomN
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: I'm not supposed to play with sharp things.
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaneth View Post
Another thing I noticed is that I can't surf with the radio off, even though I'm connected to wifi? That doesn't make much sense.
I'm not having any problems surfing with the radio off and connected to wifi. Are you getting any error messages or is it just not loading the pages for you?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #23
bradhs

I'm a power user and have had my Bold for 3 days now.. Had a Curve before.. Cant go back to anything, stuck on the Bold. It's an amazing device. So much power in my hands.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #24
Arcangel

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

I personally was messing with my friends for i have VZW and honestly the screen is beautiful and the os is nice but for the size and keys i truly would not leave my curve for it! i wasn't blown away at all. was more like a doled up 8700 form factor or slightly more rounded 8800. I am happy that I will be getting the storm instead.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #25
bradhs

Arvengel,

The storm will be just as big as the Bold and probably have worse battery life. I guess it depends on what you are doing with the device. I type a lot and cant stand touchscreen keyboards. Way to darn slow on them...

Plus I need to be able to use the 3G broadband (which I've used a few times already and wow) AND talk on the phone simultaneously. You cant do that on Verizon's network. Only a HSPA network is supported for simultaneous voice/data.

Thanks,
Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangel View Post
I personally was messing with my friends for i have VZW and honestly the screen is beautiful and the os is nice but for the size and keys i truly would not leave my curve for it! i wasn't blown away at all. was more like a doled up 8700 form factor or slightly more rounded 8800. I am happy that I will be getting the storm instead.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #26
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

The Bold and the 8800 are the same external dimensions. I adore mine and am rarely without it.

I love the hi-res display and 3G. WiFi is cool, but not a feature I rely on. The keyboard is the best BB keyboard I've ever used. Way more comfortable for me compared to the Curve, but that's just personal preference. Memory management is superb. Looks like the old memory leak that plagues the Curve and Pearl is solved with the newer OS's like .162.

Themes are still limited as the device is relatively new. More and more Bold themes are cropping up every day though.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #27
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Q10
Carrier: at&t

careful, i think i researched this before. i had the 8820, which i know from car kit cradle experience has pretty much same physical dimensions as my earlier 8800. i recently upgraded 8820 to 9000 bold. the 9000 bold is at least a little bit wider and won't fit in my current bury car cradle. i have purchase a new bury car cradle to accommodate the new 9000 bold and am having a tech shop install tomorrow
Old 11-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #28
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post

Memory management is superb. Looks like the old memory leak that plagues the Curve and Pearl is solved with the newer OS's like .162.
Really? I have had major (but inconsistent) memory leak w/ my AT&T Bold on .167. Yesterday I did a full reboot and went from 25 mb to maybe 4 mb in about 2 hours!!! And all I was doing was browsing the web (I guess I did go to youtube mobile). The only 3rd party apps I have installed are Google Maps and Facebook and neither was running in the background. I am pretty anal about closing apps as soon as I am done w/ them. That being said, the other day, my free memory hovered around 16 mb for a full day. So not sure what to make of it.

Don't get me wrong. I love the device. But memory leak is one of only beefs right now.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #29
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I'm running .162 and have NO issues with memory leak.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #30
e-how

PIN: N/A

I've had my Bold for 2 days now, and I love almost everything about it. I have a few minor glitches but nothing major. I have to say though, I'm not super impressed with the browser speed. At times it feels slower than my Curve, but that might be explained by my expectations being too high.

Love the feel of the keyboard and the back of the device, and the overall look. New OS is awesome.

Bold 9000....yes we can!

Last edited by e-how; 11-07-2008 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: spelling/grammar check
Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #31
mojojo128
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: BOLD
PIN: N/A
Carrier: At & T
Default No worries about themes

I have my BOLD for about 2 wks ...yes I couldn't wait for AT & T so I bought on ebay. I do agree with you about the size of the phone but there are trade off and I will settle for that since now the phone is faster, keyboard is better and the screen is bigger. I have both the curve and BOLD and even though the curve is lighter I do like the look of the BOLD more.

Considering there are only 2 themes it's not a problem I purchased a few new themes from JC Designs - gadget.com and they look really kool. The theme is animated and I can even move the icons to my liking. It's GREAT!!!! The best thing is they have demo videos of the themes which I thought was helpful.

So if you want to customize your BOLD, check out gadget.com.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #32
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestes1999 View Post
But, this phone is HUGE. I mean really, compared to the Curve, it's rediculously large.
It's really not that much bigger than a Curve. "Ridiculously" large is a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it?

Quote:
Second, it only comes with two themes, with none available to download even.
Plenty of themes are available for the Bold.

Quote:
And the camera is the same 2 MP as the Curve. Why couldn't they put the 3 MP camera off the new 8900 on this phone, since it's already gigantic and all?
Not exactly the same. The quality is supposed to be better, but then, it is still a small camera in a phone, so "better" quality isn't really saying much.

Quote:
Having wifi is cool, but I don't see why I'd ever use it. I mean, if I'm sitting somewhere that has wifi, why not just use my laptop?
Do you have your laptop with you every moment of every day? I don't (thank goodness).

Quote:
So basically, I can't see much improvement over the Curve, except the 3G. And did it take a gigantic phone for 3G really?
I can, as can many others I expect. And again with the "gigantic" references. It's really not that big. Maybe you have tiny hands? But as I've said in other threads, it's all horses for courses anyway.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 11-07-2008 at 05:41 PM..
Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #33
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhs View Post
Arvengel,

The storm will be just as big as the Bold and probably have worse battery life. I guess it depends on what you are doing with the device. I type a lot and cant stand touchscreen keyboards. Way to darn slow on them...

Plus I need to be able to use the 3G broadband (which I've used a few times already and wow) AND talk on the phone simultaneously. You cant do that on Verizon's network. Only a HSPA network is supported for simultaneous voice/data.

Thanks,
Bradley
Bradley,

You need to check the specs.... the storm is MUCH smaller than the bold. In fact unless I am mistaken it is barely larger than the pearl and similar in size to the curve.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 11-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #34
bradhs

BlackBerry Bold - 4.48"/114mm x 2.6"/66mm x 0.59"/15mm --- 4.8 oz/136g (Weight)

BlackBerry Storm - 4.43"/112.5mm x 2.45"/62.2mm x 0.55"/13.95mm --- 5.5 oz (Weight)

BlackBerry Curve - 4.2"/107mm x 2.4"/60mm x 0.6"/15.5mm (Depth) --- 3.9 oz/111g (Weight)

I'd say they are all within a few from each other. The Storm does weigh a lot more than the others. I wonder what battery life is going to be like being on Verizon's network and having such a large screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Bradley,

You need to check the specs.... the storm is MUCH smaller than the bold. In fact unless I am mistaken it is barely larger than the pearl and similar in size to the curve.

E-
Old 11-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #35
jimmyh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810

I have found a great theme for the Bold....BOLD TODAY PLUS OS 4.6. Only seven bucks but it is well worth it..Believe I found it on crackberry..
Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #36
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Bradley,

E-
Really? Much? I don't define a millimeter or two as much.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #37
thielsa
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you are coming from a BB8800 series, you are going to love this phone. The keyboard is a lot better, the UI is improved, and the screen resolution is amazing. I've had mine for a couple of days now and it is outstanding. Phone quality is way better than the 8800, and the speakerphone/music speaker quality is loud, clear, and sounds great. It also has a regular headphone jack. So far I have been very impressed.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 AM   #38
dts5.1
Thumbs Must Hurt

I got my bold yesterday...my curve has been solid from day one, but I will never go back to it! The bold is RIM's flagship...I love everything about it...its a little bigger than my curve, but not by much...the weight of this device is nice, feels very solid in my hand...I had read before it came out that the silver frame was made of some type plastic, but mine is metal and gives it a solid but elegant looking touch. The screen resolution is unbelievable...check out the demo speed racer trailer video that it comes with, it will blow you away! There are many nice FREE themes available now for the Bold...3G, wiFi, more memory, side loading for external memory, faster processor, bigger higher resolution screen...what's not to like about the bold?!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #39
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts5.1 View Post
I had read before it came out that the silver frame was made of some type plastic, but mine is metal and gives it a solid but elegant looking touch.
I'm pretty sure your bezel is not metal, as every one else's isn't.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 11-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #40
dts5.1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I'm pretty sure your bezel is not metal, as every one else's isn't.
I can't comment on anyone else's bold, but on mine, the trim seems to be made of aluminum...I can tell the difference between plastic and metal, and plastic it's not.
Closed Thread