Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
evandt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T
Default Pushing with Google Apps

Please Login to Remove!

I did a fair amount of searching on here before posting this. I also had tried numerous times myself with various methods and attempts before finally calling RIM. I'm more than happy to have shelled out the $49 bucks to RIM in order to get this functioning but more importantly to share that information with you guys.

Here's the skinny, and here's what I've found to be very very helpful.
RIM apparently has have updated their systems internally to recognize any gmail hosted(including Google Apps) e-mail addresses as Gmail accounts. They are internally RIM prioritized as being Gmail and receive "Notification Request's" which is what makes it push. When you use your Google Apps e-mail and password the BIS SHOULD see google in your MX records and automatically flag it. NOTE: this is not 100% YET.

If you're account was setup already you should delete it and try again.

What I've found is that you should wait at least 72 hrs after integrating the Google Apps account BEFORE trying this. I believe a large amount of the problems I was having was due to the fact that my DNS & MX records had not fully updated themselves yet. Give your domain and hosting service some time to get those google records nice and warm in your domain.

If that still doesn't work, it's time to call rim. You'll have to do some minimal customer servicing/explaining but eventually they'll ask their supervisor and they'll do it.

I'm unbelievably proud, thrilled, and excited to share that it's fully integrated via Gmail's push and the technician was equally excited when he told me we had gotten the "Notification Request"/push for my domain!

Hope this helps anyone from any headaches.

p.s- One last thing to remember, your domain now functions as a Gmail and while that gives you the push, you also get the DUPLICATES. Use your filters and any other problem solvers you run into as you would with a regular gmail account.

Last edited by evandt; 02-25-2008 at 04:08 AM..
Old 02-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
simulator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

This is in fact true. Call your provider, explain you need to talk to rim support. When you get connected to RIM, explain the issue -- they will transfer you to email support. Then they add your domain to the master list of domains that have BIS push functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandt View Post
I did a fair amount of searching on here before posting this. I also had tried numerous times myself with various methods and attempts before finally calling RIM. I'm more than happy to have shelled out the $49 bucks to RIM in order to get this functioning but more importantly to share that information with you guys.

RIM apparently has have updated their systems internally to recognize any gmail hosted(including Google Apps) e-mail addresses as Gmail accounts. They are internally RIM prioritized as being Gmail and receive "Notification Request's" which is what makes it push. When you use your Google Apps e-mail and password the BIS SHOULD see google in your MX records and automatically flag it. NOTE: this is not 100% YET.

What I've found is that you should wait at least 72 hrs after integrating the Google Apps account BEFORE trying this. I believe a large amount of the problems I was having was due to the fact that my DNS & MX records had not fully updated themselves yet. Give your domain and hosting service some time to get those google records nice and warm in your domain.

If that still doesn't work, it's time to call rim. You'll have to do some minimal customer servicing/explaining but eventually they'll ask their supervisor and they'll do it.

I'm unbelievably proud, thrilled, and excited to share that it's fully integrated via Gmail's push and the technician was equally excited when he told me we had gotten the "Notification Request"/push for my domain!

p.s- One last thing to remember, your domain now functions as a Gmail and while that gives you the push, you also get the DUPLICATES. Use your filters and any other problem solvers you run into as you would with a regular gmail account.

Last edited by simulator; 02-26-2008 at 03:17 PM..
Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
misterb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular

Quote:

Thanks for doing this. I called my carrier a week ago to try and solve this issue and asked to be transferred to RIM, but they said they didn't have that ability.

Anyway, it seems that you have solved one issue (push), but that there are some other things you still need to resolve for this to be working properly. First off, full two way sync is a must, and so is NOT receiving duplicates. I believe I found a fix for this last night. Head to your Google apps account, click on settings, and the forwarding and pop. Make sure that IMAP is selected, and then click below where it has instructions on how to set up your email client or device. Tell it you have a BlackBerry, and then follow the instructions on your carrier's BIS site. Make sure to also check the box that says to delete items between the account and the device. Doing the setup this way also makes it so that your BB will not receive sent items as new mail. You don't have to set up any goofy filters, etc. for this functionality. If you follow the instructions for IMAP, it just takes care of it for you.

Now, make sure that once your account is set up and you receive the confirmation on your BB, that you also go in to the mail settings for that account. Open the account, go to options, email reconciliation, and then change delete on to: mailbox and handheld. Doing so will give you two way sync where if you delete an email from Gmail, it will delete it from your BB and if you delete one from your BB it will delete it from Gmail.

Now, the question is if it will do the two way sync instantly. I tried this, and everything seems to work great, except for it can sometimes take an hour for it to sync up. That's unacceptable. Hopefully your conversation with RIM will shed some light on this, and if your domain is set up for true push, it will also do instant sync. Please try the above steps, and let us know how it works.

Until I know it syncs instantly, the Gmail application software is still better for me. If you have not downloaded that for your BB, you may find that it is better than the BB email software. It lets you search your entire database of "all mail", lets you view attachments, syncs both ways, etc. The only downfall is that it isn't always instant, and it moves around a bit slower than the BB email program. There's always an F'ing give and take with this sort of stuff, it seems.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
evandt
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm actually not into the 2Way sync so I have those options not seleted.
I keep e-mails on my BB for reference more than I do on my CPU.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
misterb

Quote:
I'm actually not into the 2Way sync so I have those options not seleted.
I keep e-mails on my BB for reference more than I do on my CPU.
Wow, you know- different strokes for different folks, but I would sure get tired of seeing double emails in multiple places.

Besides, the Gmail app will give you MUCH more functionality to reference emails, as it gives you access to every single email you have ever sent or received.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Renaaldo

Model: 8800
Carrier: SFR

I've read all the previous posts and think I have understood it all (even if I'm quite new with all these things).

Are you saying (please, correct me if I'm wrong) that:
1) By setting up a domain on Gmail Apps ($10 I think)
2) By setting up an email address related to this domain (@yourcompany.com) and adding it to my BB's email list
3) By calling my provider, asking to talk to the RIM people and explaining I want my domain to be added to the "push domain" list

You can actually have a real-time, private domain related e-mail address on your Blackberry (meaning, emails are received/sent instantly) ???

Thanks for letting me know.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
evandt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaaldo View Post
I've read all the previous posts and think I have understood it all (even if I'm quite new with all these things).

Are you saying (please, correct me if I'm wrong) that:
1) By setting up a domain on Gmail Apps ($10 I think)
2) By setting up an email address related to this domain (@yourcompany.com) and adding it to my BB's email list
3) By calling my provider, asking to talk to the RIM people and explaining I want my domain to be added to the "push domain" list

You can actually have a real-time, private domain related e-mail address on your Blackberry (meaning, emails are received/sent instantly) ???

Thanks for letting me know.
Yes, and No.
I personal choose to go with the Premier edition of Google Apps. The cost is $50 per user account(or e-mail account). You can still use aliases etc but if you want full functioning e-mail accounts then its 50 bucks a pop. You get much more functionality and options with the Premier edition. The process following that to ensure optimal operation would be to call RIM directly, tell them to associate your domain with Gmail's servers. Tell them you want "Notification Requests" places on the e-mails you'll be setting up for this account. After that, then setup your @domain.com e-mail on your BB and it should stick, no Imap, no advance setup, just username and password. Make sure you've enabled POP and IMAP on your Gmail Account for your domain.

Note: you don't HAVE to call RIM directly, seems you can call your provider, argue, escalate, argue, hold, escalate and eventually get to RIM. I personally find it more efficient use of time to simply eat the $49 and call RIM directly.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
simulator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

I didn't have to argue. T-mobile immediately transferred me to RIM when I described the issue. And the standard edition of google apps is free. I don't know why you'd bother paying an extra $50. Why would RIM support care that you paid Google $50 extra?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
Renaaldo

Model: 8800
Carrier: SFR

Just wanted to thank everyone for their support and help!!
It was my first and only topic on Blackberry Forums and you guys were all very helpful.

I have just managed to set everything up, as explained above.

1) Bought a domain name off Google Apps ($10/year)
2) Set up a couple of email addresses @mydomain.com
3) Phoned RIM, spent $49 and had an amazing support guy on the phone. Conversation lasted about 55 minutes on a toll free number, he was taking his time and making sure everything was working fine. He set everything up the way you guys explained (associated my domain name with a Gmail server)
4) Everything is now "instant" using this new [email address]

Thanks all for your help.
I have to admit that I was amazed by the quality of customer support provided with by RIM.

Renaaldo.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
fo0tprintz

Model: 8300

just want to confirm as user on at&t that rim has fixed this issue. they are now automatically detecting domains that have been enabled with google apps for your domain.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
misterb

I started checking on this issue again, now that some time has passed and folks are claiming that RIM has fixed some things on their side.

I called RIM customer support regarding push capabilities through the BlackBerry internet services and Google apps. They told me that unless I was using BIS, that push email is NOT even a possibility. They said that it just pulls the emails up to every 15 minutes! I didn't believe her, so I called back and got someone else. This gal told me the same thing, so I inquired about BIS with Google apps. She further told me that BIS will not work with Google apps!

So, what's the deal? Who is right here? Some of you have claimed to get push email capabilities, but yet two different RIM support people completely contradicted this. Now, this would not be the first time a support person was wrong, but I did confirm it with another support person. Are you guys really getting push email capabilities, or are you just assuming it's push? Have you tried sending yourself multiple test emails from another email account to the one your BlackBerry checks to make sure that it is receiving them on the device immediately? If not, you're guessing.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
fly4food84

Model: 8300

It's working. I signed up for google apps last week and became angry because it wouldn't push to my blackberry. I cancelled google apps and signed up again today (5 days later) and it is great. Pushes instantly.

Google has instructions now for Blackberry users, using Google Apps.

Once the MX mail settings are changed and proprogated, sign into AT&T BIS and add an account. [email address]. It came back telling me it couldn't be configured and instantly I got an email from google stating the following:

Quote:
Your attempt to configure the BlackBerry Internet Service to deliver mail to your BlackBerry device from this email account was unsuccessful. This email provides instructions to help with the email account set up.

You submitted the following information:
Account Type:POP3/IMAP
Email Address:jeff@domain.com
User Name: jeff
Password:****** (For security the password is not displayed.)
Mail Server:pop.gmail.com

Please confirm the information. Refer to the instructions below for help in determining the correct information. After confirming the information, log in to the BlackBerry Internet Service site and try again.

POP & IMAP Accounts
Internet Service Provider email accounts are commonly either POP or IMAP accounts. You need the following information:
Note: You can find out this information from either your desktop email application or your Internet Service Provider:
Email Address:Your email address
for example, [email address]
Server: The name of the Mail Server
for example, mail.ISPname.com
User Name: The portion of the email address before the "@" symbol
for example, patrickmoser in the address [email address]
Password: The password for your account

The BlackBerry Internet Service site provides a utility you can download to help set-up your email account. This small application searches your computer for configured email accounts and provides BlackBerry Internet Service with these settings. To download this application:

From your desktop browser, log in to the BlackBerry Internet Service account. Refer to the documentation provided by your Wireless Service Provider for the web URL.
On the Email Accounts page, select Add Account.
When prompted, type your email address and password. Click Next.
Select I use Microsoft® Outlookxxx8482; or Outlook Expressxxx8482;. Click Next.
Click Download and follow the on-screen instructions.

If you are still having difficulties adding your email account, visit the online help on the BlackBerry Internet Service site.

Thank you.
I signed back into AT&T BIS and manually configured the settings above changing the pop server to pop.gmail.com instead of mail.domain.com.

One last thing, make sure you have POP enabled in your Google Apps Mailbox settings.

Works like a charm.

Last edited by fly4food84; 04-13-2008 at 07:55 PM..
Old 03-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #13
stevehogan

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Once this is working (using the POP settings as described above) does your Blackberry email stay in sync with your Gmail box i.e. if you delete an email on your Blackberry, does it delete it on Gmail? When you read it on your Blackberry, does it show up as "read" on Gmail?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
misterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehogan View Post
Once this is working (using the POP settings as described above) does your Blackberry email stay in sync with your Gmail box i.e. if you delete an email on your Blackberry, does it delete it on Gmail? When you read it on your Blackberry, does it show up as "read" on Gmail?

I doubt it. That's the problem with his response. Instant email isn't so great if it's just a copy of what is waiting for you back in your Outlook inbox. Having to delete emails from multiple places is very inefficient. I suspect folks that give these types of responses have never actually had IMAP working between Outlook, their BlackBerry, and all other methods of checking email, such as a browser.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
mlx52

Model: 8110

Just thought I would share my Google Apps push experience. I signed up for Google apps (free edition) a few weeks ago, and have my domain at GoDaddy. Initially the BIS site would only manually add my address using the Gmail IMAP or POP settings, without instant push. I placed a call into ATT the today, and they got me on the phone with RIM. Spent around 20 minutes on the phone with them, and they enabled and verified that instant push was enabled on my domain. I now have both POP and IMAP turned off in Google Apps, and the BIS site will auto configure the email account, just like my regular Gmail accounts. Very nicely done RIM, and was quite impressed with ATT that they didn't have a problem transferring me over to RIM.

On a side note, with GoDaddy, with the MX records I set the TTL to 1 hour instead of the 1 week, posted by Google. That didn't help, and prompted me to call ATT today.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #16
jgbest

Model: none
Carrier: ATT

How have you all solved the "sent" messages appearing in the inbox on the BB? I have tried the "from" filter with no luck. Thanks for your help, I have a client disparate for answers.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #17
BigPete74

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

So do we still need to place a call to our provider and hope they escalate us to RIM support or what? Everything works fine so far except for the whole push thing. In fact, BIS doesn't won't configure it automatically. I have to do it manually using POP or IMAP and these are not PUSH or INSTANT. I just want my domain I'm using with Google Apps to function like my gmail account!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #18
WinoOutWest

Carrier: Rogers

I just called RIM directly and paid the $55 fee and skipped the Rogers tech support experience. Got both my corporate and personal Google Apps domains working. They're both coming in instantly and it was one of the best customer service experiences in a while. Very thorough and very helpful. Highly receommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPete74 View Post
So do we still need to place a call to our provider and hope they escalate us to RIM support or what? Everything works fine so far except for the whole push thing. In fact, BIS doesn't won't configure it automatically. I have to do it manually using POP or IMAP and these are not PUSH or INSTANT. I just want my domain I'm using with Google Apps to function like my gmail account!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #19
BigPete74

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the reply. It's just hard to swallow that $50 when it should really work without problem. Now, I have 3 domains I would like this to work for. Do I need to pay the $50 x 3 or will one call fix them all? Does anyone know if there is anyway to get this done without having to pay the $50 for RIM support?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #20
WinoOutWest

Carrier: Rogers

They did both domains for me on the same call. Waited and tested both of them with me several times.
Closed Thread