Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
toolzy

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Default help with 8120

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all. Sorry for being a noob and asking probably questions that have been answered. I've been "googling" and searching through forums on how to answer my questions for my new 8120.

First off, it is an 8120 from Europe (it's black with the chrome finish on the sides). I live in Toronto and I have Fido as my carrier. They have a data plan but they don't cater to the BB's. I have the data plan.

I'm trying to find ways to get email on my 8120. I heard that gmail has an app. I can't seem to find a link anywhere where I can download this app. I'm trying to download it on my macbook pro. I take it I have to download this application via the web browser on the BB? Reason I'm doing this using gmail is because in the email setup (via the wizard), I only get 2 options: "I want to work with BES..." and "I want to skip the email setup". I was hoping I'd see an option where I could configure my POP/IMAP settings, port and such. But nadda.

In addition, I do have GPS on this version of the 8120...weird I know. But when I go to advanced settings, I do have an option for GPS. I just don't know how to activate it. Fido says they can't/don't know how to since it's a non-Fido phone. They say I have to download something from TeleNav (Navigator) and pay $10 a month to get the service. Weird...I thought this phone + the data plan should already do it for me.

Please help as I am new to BB's.

Thank you.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
lacroixn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile

Welcome to the forums and this is where you come to ask questions. But maybe you can do a search first because sometimes your question may have been asked before and answered. Again welcome to the forums.
When you see GPS and you click on it do you see data source? If so you need to be connected to a GPS device.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: o2

Hi

I beleive you have the 8110 not the 8120. The 8120 does not come in black and does not have GPS. It has wifi which the 8110 does not have.

The reason you don't have the mail set up option on your device is because you don't have a Blackberry Data plan, this is needed to activate those settings.

This link will help you out with what you can do with a generic data plan.

BlackBerry Search Results

To install applications from your PC you probably need pocketmac which is available from Blackberry.com.. I am not a mac user so hopefully someone else can advise you here.

You can use your GPS with Blackberry maps or google maps both of which are free. You can of course pay for a service if you wish.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
toolzy

That's what I said, but it IS indeed an 8120. It's not the North American version where we only get the "gray" coloured one. I can go WiFi on it and even the "About" says "8120 (Edge, WiFi).

As for the other sources you mentioned, thank you. I'll dig through those as well and see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
Hi

I beleive you have the 8110 not the 8120. The 8120 does not come in black and does not have GPS. It has wifi which the 8110 does not have.

The reason you don't have the mail set up option on your device is because you don't have a Blackberry Data plan, this is needed to activate those settings.

This link will help you out with what you can do with a generic data plan.

<link>

To install applications from your PC you probably need pocketmac which is available from Blackberry.com.. I am not a mac user so hopefully someone else can advise you here.

You can use your GPS with Blackberry maps or google maps both of which are free. You can of course pay for a service if you wish.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Cool we only get the 8120 in any colour other than black here in the UK.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
toolzy

Hey Fox, that link gave me a search result with MicroSD sizes. heheh I take it when you say BB Data Plan, you mean the Data Plan that my provider offers yes?

Edit: Really? Strange, on BB's main site, they offer like 10 different colours for the 8120 in UK. Probably in some parts eh?

Last edited by toolzy; 10-06-2008 at 01:53 PM..
Old 10-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

My Bad!!!! sorry.

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 10-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
toolzy

Fox...if I'm reading this right, I need to create and be able to log on to Fido's BIS site ttps://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=fido to be able to use BB's services. Unfortunately, that site isn't recognizing my phone's PIN and IMEI (probably due to the fact that Fido doesn't offer BB's).

According to the link, for me to get the GMail app (so I can get push emails), I'll need the BB Browser (which needs the BB Data Plan 'coz Fido's BIS site is useless). Geezuz...I feel like I'm being screwed around.

All I really want to do is, be able to call, browse (when needed) and check emails on this thing.

Edit: I removed the letter "h" from that link since I'm not allowed to make posts with links just yet.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
sstroud
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

from OP "In addition, I do have GPS on this version of the 8120...weird I know. But when I go to advanced settings, I do have an option for GPS."

My Tmobile 8120 has that listing also,but of course it does not actually work as the phone does not have built in GPS. You can use an external GPS.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
toolzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstroud View Post
from OP "In addition, I do have GPS on this version of the 8120...weird I know. But when I go to advanced settings, I do have an option for GPS."

My Tmobile 8120 has that listing also,but of course it does not actually work as the phone does not have built in GPS. You can use an external GPS.
I see. Well...that answers my GPS question. heheh ty.
Closed Thread