BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
disconnekt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default just ordered 7100 and I'm on Mac, am I crazy?

Please Login to Remove!

With PocketMac I can supposedly sync contacts, Stickies, tasks, and calendars—the most important stuff for me. But I can't sync Mail and I won't be able to install any software (nobody I know even owns a PC). Have I just made a huge mistake? I mean, if the 7100 arrives and needs a software update, I won't be able to do it!

Anyone have creative ideas about how I can obtain use of a PC? Think if I go into a T-Mobile store they might use their PC to update my phone?

P.S. I've seen the T-Mobile theme and it's disGUSting. Will there be any way to change it without needing a PC?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Well, without access to a PC you are limiting yourself. No way to change the theme without a PC. No way to upgrade software (as you noted) without a PC.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
nrivas

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

It depends on how sync'd you want to be. I seldom use iCal or address book on my iBook so I'm not missing a whole lot.

As for firmware updates, my local Tmo retail store was able to upgrade it for me. I know some do and some don't. It wouldn't hurt to ask the sales rep before purchasing. As for installing themes, I was able to intall the Blackberry 72xx theme over-the-air (although I believe you have to using the 4.0 firmware). Downloading ringtones (in .mid format) and pictures is just as easy.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
disconnekt

OK, cool, at least I have a chance of finding a Tmo store that can help me upgrade software.

My husband has PCs at work, but he doesn't have his own per se, so I don't know how cool it will be for him to try to install the BB software on it for me.

How long will it realistically be before someone figures out how to install software from a Mac or via Virtual PC?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
TXBBUSER
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

7100s from TMO come with the default list theme as well, that you can change in Settings, so you are not stuck with TMO's crappy pink theme.

Shouldn't VirtualPC work? If you open up WinXP on your Mac, you should be able to install the BB stuff there, shouldn't you?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
disconnekt

I've read other accounts on this forum and elsewhere that there is no known way to make Virtual PC work to install software on the BB.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBBUSER
If you open up WinXP on your Mac, you should be able to install the BB stuff there, shouldn't you?
Sure, you can install the BB stuff on VirtualPC. It won't function, but it will install just fine.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
kingcole

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmo

Whoo hoo! First post. Be kind, y'all. . .

I've been a BB user for all of a couple of weeks now, and I am a Mac user. So far, so good! Pocketmac is great - all my info syncs up just fine (and I am a HEAVY iCal, Addressbook, etc. user - tons of info, and multiple syncs per day). In fact, the Pocketmac sync is more troublefree than using iSync to sync up my Palm T|T3 - Pocketmac, for the most part, just works. I wish it had more flexible syncing options (you sync ALL your calendars or NONE, for example), but I expect it to continue to develop. I highly recommend it.

My 7100T already had the latest update from T-Mo, so I haven't had to cross that bridge just yet, but I plan on using my work PC if I absolutely have to. You're right about VPC - avoid it like the plague. It will just lead to trouble.

I've had great luck doing OTA installations of apps, rings, whatever, so I'm not really feeling too left out as a Mac user.

The only irritating thing I've found so far is that BWC (BB web client) doesn't really function well with Mac browsers: the only browser that has at least partial compatibility with BWC is M$ Internet Explorer, which hasn't been updated in a LONG time. I'm able to limp along with IE, but I wish there was another browser that could handle BWC. I've tried them all (AFAIK): Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, iCab, Safari, Camino, IE, Omniweb and Opera. The only one that works is IE, and it repeatedly crashes, so it's a process of changing/checking a few things, then force-quitting IE, then relaunching and working through the rest of your info. It sucks, but it's a workaround until other browsers support BWC.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't let the lack of a PC curb your enthusiasm for the BB! You'll be just fine - there's a lot of support out there, both in the form of Pocketmac, and OTA apps.

JC
Old 07-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #9
disconnekt

JC, thanks for the advice. I feel better now. What OS are you running? I'm on 10.4 and I hate the idea of having to fire up my dusty old copy of IE for the BWC.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
jomalley
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcole
Whoo hoo! First post. Be kind, y'all. . .

The only irritating thing I've found so far is that BWC (BB web client) doesn't really function well with Mac browsers: the only browser that has at least partial compatibility with BWC is M$ Internet Explorer, which hasn't been updated in a LONG time. I'm able to limp along with IE, but I wish there was another browser that could handle BWC. I've tried them all (AFAIK): Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, iCab, Safari, Camino, IE, Omniweb and Opera. The only one that works is IE, and it repeatedly crashes, so it's a process of changing/checking a few things, then force-quitting IE, then relaunching and working through the rest of your info. It sucks, but it's a workaround until other browsers support BWC.

JC
I've been using the Opera 8 on Mac OS 10.4.2 will no rendering problems (i.e. the buttons on top of the screen don't dogpile on each other the way they do with all other browsers excep IE). I have it identifying itself as IE, and have had no problems with BWC/BIS website.

Joe
Old 07-30-2005, 02:22 AM   #11
kingcole

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmo

disconnekt: I'm running OS 10.4.2. I know what you mean about "dusty old IE" - I try to avoid it like the plague.

Joe: I stand corrected - I just went back and tried BWC with Opera 8.02, and it worked just fine. That's FANTASTIC news! Thanks! I have no idea what the problem was when I tested it earlier. Must have been a glitch.

JC
Old 09-21-2005, 02:03 AM   #12
allenranger2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g

Hey guys. That new Opera released today works just fine. I believe it's v. 8.50 (no more ad's either!).

BB 8700g & 9000 Bold AT&T
Old 09-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #13
jasonb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

I am able to use it using Firefox 1.0.6. But, there are a couple of times that the text will overlay each other. I have just refreshed the screen and it shows up properly.

PIN - 202F0651
Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 AM   #14
jax
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

I used to have a problem with BWC but the latest version of Safari seems to have fixed the display issues (2.01 build 412.5)
Old 09-24-2005, 06:25 PM   #15
LeeG23

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Another happy mac user - I have had a 7100g for about a month, and I also downloaded themes, ringtones, etc OTA - no issues.

Pocketmac syncs my calendar, contacts, etc - effortlessly. I highly recommend it.

I use camino for the BB web client (which I actually don't use too often), and it works fine.

Remember - the more mac users, the more we can push BBerry for native software-

Lee
Old 10-28-2005, 06:52 AM   #16
HashGordon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Airtel

you are right. we need as many blackberry+mac users as possible voicing themselves. at this site www*macandmobile.com, blackberry handhelds are getting a lot of hits but we need people to go out and voice themselves. some voices are negative, but they have to be changed. i am starting a new thread there since its specifically a mac forum...it will be about ' i want a blackberry'...
Closed Thread