BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #21
jopfer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: T-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I have even been studying this UMA Architecture document to try to figure it out. http://kom.aau.dk/~ff/UMA/Stage2.pdf
Old 01-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #22
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopfer View Post
I'm not in a roaming area. Northern California, near San Mateo. Plus it only happens on my router. There is a restaurant 1000 feet from me with Wi-Fi, and it works perfectly as does it at Starbucks, Best Buy, etc etc. So, I do not think it is the phone software
How attached are you to this router? Is it new enough where you can return it?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #23
jopfer

I'm no attached to the router. It's well over a year old and routers are cheap these days.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #24
jopfer

Quote:
I have even been studying this UMA Architecture document to try to figure it out. http://kom.aau.dk/~ff/UMA/Stage2.pdf
From the above document:
B.1.2 Recommended 802.11 AP Capabilities

1. Beacon: The AP should transmit periodic beacons, at least every 100 ms.

2. Authentication: The AP should support WEP and WPA with PSK. It could optionally support 802.1X authentication for
large enterprise environments.
3. Encryption: The AP should support WEP (RC4) and WPA (TKIP) encryption, including 802.1X Key Management
(802.1X/EAPOL-Key functions). It could optionally support WPA/802.11i (AES) encryption

4. Roaming: The AP could optionally support IAPP or similar vendor-specific inter-AP protocol to speed up context
transfer for a roaming MS (Phone).

5. Delay: The AP (if it can discern voice packets, say using 802.1p tags or IP TOS/DS markings) should internally
prioritize voice packets ahead of any other data packets that are to be transmitted. The AP should support 802.11e
EDCA (or WME) to allow prioritized access for voice packets to the medium. It can also “simulate” this behavior by
using a smaller contention window and inter-frame spacing for voice packets, relative to other data packet.

6. Network QoS: The AP should honour 802.1p tags and IP TOS/DS byte markings, to provide relative prioritization for
voice packets on the LAN uplink.

7. Power save/sleep mode: The AP should support MS that want to use power-save mode. Specifically, it should
recognize the Power Management bit in the frame header, and if an MS indicates it is going to enter PS-mode, the AP
should buffer any incoming traffic for that MS and indicate that via a Traffic Indication Map (TIM) or DTIM. The AP
should support Power-Save Polling by the MS.

D.1.1 Hibernation Mode

The GSM RR entity in MS enters hibernation mode when the MS switches from GSM mode to UMA mode.
In this mode, the GSM RR entity shuts off the GSM radio in order to extend battery life in UMA mode. Before going into
hibernation mode:

1. If there is a GSM camping cell available, the GSM RR keeps a copy of the most recent system information of the
camping cell, and then shuts down layer 1 and powers down the GSM radio.

2. If there is no cell available, the GSM RR immediately stops layer 1 and shuts off the GSM radio.

3. If PLMN search is in progress, it continues until either a camping cell is selected or when it is concluded that no
cell is available for the moment. It then proceeds according to step 1 or step 2 above.
The GSM RR entity exits out of hibernation mode under the following conditions:

1. When MS changes AP it is attached to, as a result of intra-UMA roving or handover;

2. When MS detects unlicensed radio link has dropped below certain threshold that triggers rove-out or handover-out
(or some time prior to this event);

3. When unlicensed radio link is lost altogether.
Upon exiting hibernation mode, and with the stored copy of the system information, the GSM RR entity can perform instant
wakeup instead of going through either normal cell selection procedure or stored list cell selection procedure (See §6.2/6.3
of 3GPP TS 45.008). To do so, the mobile tunes onto the ARFCN of the target cell and searches for the FCCH. Once it
captures the synchronization to the FCCH/SCH of the target cell, it restores all BCCH data from previously stored snapshot
and assumes the BCCH data is up to date. If the target cell is not found within two FCCH cycles (about 92ms), or if
snapshot BCCH data is not available, the mobile shall go through the normal cell selection procedure or stored list cell
selection procedure.
After that, the GSM RR entity moves into the “detached cell reselection” mode (see next section).
If the MS is still in UMA mode (i.e. due to intra-UMA roving or handover), then the GSM RR entity can re-enter hibernate
mode.
If the MS switches to GSM mode (i.e. due to UMA-to-GERAN roving or handover), then the GSM RR entity will become
active and attached to the NAS layer (and UMA RR entity will detach from the NAS layer).

It also says elsewhere that UMA establishes a secure tunnel. The WRT54GX2 reviews give it a TERRIBLE reputation for tunneling and VPN performance!

I am trying playing with UDP ports 4500 and 500 which TMO says are the ports
Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #25
jopfer

OK, I bought the T-Mobile Linksys Hotspot@home router yesterday thinking that would solve my proble. NOPE!!! Same problem with the T-Mobile router, cannot roam to EDGE if I did not pick up EDGE before UMA launches on the phone. SO, it's not my router. In fact, I'm taking the T-mobile router back today as my WRT54GX2 router works BETTER than the TMO one. I couldn't keep a call up on the TMO router, it would drop after a minute or so.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #26
jmarcus2000

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Same UMA/EDGE issues here too

I have gone through this with T-Mobile too. First, my WRV200 router (I believe that is the model) would not work with UMA. I bought the W54G access point and set some basic default settings. My UMA started working. I started having the exact same issues. T-Mobile suggested I buy their router, but I didn't. I was told my W54G was defective, so I bought another, but haven't installed it yet. I find its not the 54G that locks up, but the internet router - the WRV200. UMA seems to do something to tie up my internet connection in a way that causes a problem when my phone does not work correctly, (once or twice a day). Many times I will not even get UMA on my phone at home.

I have had similar trouble at the vacation condo router and on my schools router. But when in Starbucks and other open Wi-Fi locations, I have had no trouble. I cannot figure it out either.

My guess is that UMA does something to the internet connection. When the connection is dropped by mistake, it leaves the router in a weird state with the internet, which on many routers will not re-establish a working connection on its own, without a reset.

John
[email address]
Old 06-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #27
STUARTLEV

Model: curve
Carrier: tmobile
Default same issue

i have a cisco AP - same problem -
at my vacation home (florida) i do not have the problem with the exact same equipment. stop buying equipment - it is t-mobile and the area that you are in. they tell me it is the signal strength. i don't believe it, i have fewer bars at my vacation home and it works fine.
i have tried 3 different ap's at home (illinois) - it is just the area that i am in. i presume it is their equipment and not mine.

Last edited by STUARTLEV; 06-23-2008 at 05:00 PM..
Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #28
kim00mik

Model: 8230
Carrier: TM
Default UMA-edge hand-off still problematic?

jopfer,

were you able to resolve this issue? i am experiencing the exact same problem, only 8 months later.

on tmobile router, locks onto UMA and can't keep a call for more than 1 minute (goes to edge before tries again to seek UMA connection). not sure if that "locks up" my router since wifi on my lapop still works w/o a glitch. i find that i must turn off mobile network to use the UMA w/o dropped calls. but during evening when everyone comes home and uses their cable, my wifi connection becomes shoddy.

do you have any updates on the UMA -> edge hand-off??

kim

Quote:
OK, I bought the T-Mobile Linksys Hotspot@home router yesterday thinking that would solve my proble. NOPE!!! Same problem with the T-Mobile router, cannot roam to EDGE if I did not pick up EDGE before UMA launches on the phone. SO, it's not my router. In fact, I'm taking the T-mobile router back today as my WRT54GX2 router works BETTER than the TMO one. I couldn't keep a call up on the TMO router, it would drop after a minute or so.
Closed Thread