tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Blackberry z10

Please Login to Remove!

The Wall Street Journal
The company, which is also renaming itself BlackBerry, said all the major U.S. carriers -- AT&T Inc., Verizon Wireless, Sprint Nextel Corp. and T-Mobile USA -- would offer the new phones. But none of the carriers gave a date when they would be available, marring a launch that was aimed at winning people back to a brand that led the smartphone market for years before falling badly behind. Verizon Wireless said it would sell the Z10 for $199 with a contract. Sprint is only planning to carry the keyboard-equipped Q10 at this time, with no immediate plans to carry the touch-screen Z10 device. T-Mobile for now is just planning to carry the touch-screen Z10. In the interview, Mr. Heins blamed the delay of the U.S. rollout in part on the rigorous testing procedures of U.S. wireless carriers. Carriers couldn't begin those tests until recently, however, because they didn't have final versions of the phones, people familiar with the matter said.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #22
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Good read on why US carriers are slow to release BlackBerry BlackBerry

WSJ had an article saying RIM, now BlackBerry, just got the Z10 to carriers a couple of weeks ago which is an outright lie. I have confirmation that one carrier got it before Christmas. Heins said it was sent to all carriers at the same time.

Last edited by daphne; 01-31-2013 at 11:37 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I took some pictures but I need to shrink them down as the resolution was fairly high. I am far from a professional photographer.

Found a decent spec comparison on PCMAG.COM

Compare Cell Phones at PC Magazine

Part of a larger review - BlackBerry Z10 (AT&T) Preview | PCMag.com - that I think is pretty fair (read: I agree with it).

Battery life has been uninspiring. I left it unplugged for 10 hours and didn't touch it. Got about 50 e-mails. No calls. No browsing. Battery at 70%. BT and WiFi were on.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #24
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Battery life has been uninspiring. I left it unplugged for 10 hours and didn't touch it. Got about 50 e-mails. No calls. No browsing. Battery at 70%. BT and WiFi were on.
Yeah, I'd expect better for not touching it...
Old 02-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I have found many show stoppers... Most discouraging for me is the lack of apps that are necessary for me and also that the font on mail messages can't be changed. I am old. I have reading glasses. I love being able to pick up my handheld mobile device and read the messages without reaching for my glasses. Can't do it on the Zee/Zed10.

My kids already have a bet on the over/under on when I switch back. They know me too well.

I do like the form factor. And Hub is great. Peek is cute for a while. Flow between apps is good. Inconsistent UI (I thought TAT was brought in for the UI work) is maddening.

Oh well. I will plod on. Back to App World to see if anything has been added today.

Like Opentable, Skype, Lync, SkyDrive, a decent Speed Dialer...

P.S. 7 hours - mostly on my desk - zero phone calls, zero tweets, minimal browsing (mainly to figure out how the browser works): 29% battery left.

I'd buy a second battery but they aren't available.

You don't really want to know what I am thinking.

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 02-01-2013 at 06:34 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #26
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
I have found many show stoppers... Most discouraging for me is the lack of apps that are necessary for me and also that the font on mail messages can't be changed. I am old. I have reading glasses. I love being able to pick up my handheld mobile device and read the messages without reaching for my glasses. Can't do it on the Zee/Zed10.

My kids already have a bet on the over/under on when I switch back. They know me too well.

I do like the form factor. And Hub is great. Peek is cute for a while. Flow between apps is good. Inconsistent UI (I thought TAT was brought in for the UI work) is maddening.

Oh well. I will plod on. Back to App World to see if anything has been added today.

P.S. 7 hours - mostly on my desk - zero phone calls, zero tweets, minimal browsing (mainly to figure out how the browser works): 29% battery left.

That pretty much answers everything for me. LOL

Doesn't sound like this will make it into my stable.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:

Yikes. I have one on the way. Doesn't sound like it will compete with my Galaxy S3 or 9900 (combination of both)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #28
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Damning it with faint praise, it is a great BlackBerry.
If all you've ever used is a 9700, or a 9810 or (OMG) a 9530, then it is light years ahead.

RIM uh BlackBerry needed to hit a Grand Slam (not just a home run). They hit a double.

P.S. - Tom, please make up your own mind. If you love it and it works for you, then go for it.
I'm not even going to bother with the Q10 myself. Another RIM sorry BlackBerry disappointment.
Too little, too late.

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 02-01-2013 at 09:40 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Not good, but it might explain a few things RIM has been doing over the past year or so.
Seems like pure mis-management or a lack of understanding of the business.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #30
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Look - it's by far the best BlackBerry I've used. It is nice looking, has a clean look and feel (think Android) and is fast. The browser is faster than previous BB browsers. It is 4G LTE (where LTE is available, check with your carrier, no promises made).

But the past two months hype led people (and me) to believe that this would move the bar. A game changer. In my opinion it isn't. It puts BlackBerry back in the game, at the back of the field.

Maybe they can overtake Microsoft. Maybe.
Maybe they can win back the Enterprise. Maybe.
Maybe consumers in the US will come back in droves. Maybe.

Are there differentiators between BB10 and iOS and Android and WP8? Yes. Are they significant for mass defections back to BlackBerry (I almost wrote RIM). Maybe.

Take a look at the stock.

What have they been doing? Working on this. And I firmly believe that the Z10 was released too early. Maybe in 4-6 weeks of more testing and more application development (AND QC CHECKING OF THE APPS) it would be more solid. Maybe.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #31
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

TSAC - I think the Q10 delays are terrible. I switched over to AT&T in November and have not looked back. I was one of the holdouts at work. When the Lumia 920 came out I didn't unlock it, I moved over. T-Mobile not carrying the Q10 is a bad idea. Hopefully they will change their minds. BlackBerry needs every carrier to carry all new BB10 devices. All of them.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #32
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Quote:
what size is the font which is used for mail ?
I dont have my Z10, but hope it will arrive during the next week. A little larger font then the 7pt millibank tall on the 9700 would me make happy also, because under low light conditions this is not really readable for me unless I put down my glasses. Given the double height of the screen I hope it is possible to retain a similar number of messages in the list as with the 9700.

Also I would like to know, If anyone has experience how to move Blackberry Maps bookmarks to the Z10. I have large number of these, and hope I can take them with me to the Z10.

Last edited by nobody7290; 02-03-2013 at 08:30 AM..
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #33
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

It is small - I have no idea how small that is. It is unreadable to me.
It is a recurring problem on the device - the lock screen font is too small and not changeable either.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #34
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

HOW are some of ya'll getting the new BBs? As I understood it, none of them were through the govt. testing? I don't know if this is going to pan out or not, but when I talked to my Sprint small business account Rep and was asking him when they would get the new BBs and if they would carry both, he said he didn't know, no release date given to them yet. He did say while he had heard nothing for sure, Sprint usually carries all the BlackBerry models as they (Sprint) have a base of loyal BlackBerry fans, and they try to have the different models to choose from. This has been the case in the past, so I am hoping they will have both this time too.
Mr. NJBlackBerry, have you noticed if Zed has "Swype" about the only thing I kind of miss from my brief fling with a HTC Evo. I did like Swype.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #35
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Not government testing - Carrier testing. The FCC has approved the devices. Your Rep. seems unusually uninformed. Several publications have noted that Sprint will carry the Q10 (keyboard version) with no dates announced but not the Z10.

No Swype, but it does have some technique where you can move your finger toward a suggested word and it will use it.

Those with BBs are 1) in the UK, 2) a handful in Canada, 3) went to the launch event last week.
Closed Thread