Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
zoltan01

Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default 2 days with the Storm & going back to Vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

I ordered two units, one for myself & for one of the Directors. I had a Bold for 10 days & the battery life put me off .
Out of the box the first potential problem to notice is the gap between the screen and the casing. Just above the buttons is as much as 2mm gap and you can see the components/back lite .Due to the click trough system they had to have the gap so the screen doest rub against the casing ( there was no gap on the dummy ).
An elegant solution: some sort of rubber/silicon grommet around the edge , dust will definitely be a problem but not terminal . A droplet of rain etc , that will terminate the device .
I left the screen sensitivity in default , I left the protective screen on ( taking off didn't made any difference to the touch sensitivity) .
Browsing dependents on the site you are visiting ( speed vise ) .Sky tv :don't bother ,some YouTube clips were OK ,some couldn't open at all.
Major problem that I had , was today . Call bar on outgoing and incoming calls ,people could hear me but I couldt .Phone will ring but I couldn't hear the caller ( mute was not on).
I took the battery & the Sim out ,then replace the battery,then take out the battery ,finally replace the battery & Sim ( this was the advice from Vodafone C/S). The reboot solve the problem...For a few hours.
Went to the Vodafone shop and rep repeated the reboot process ,the Storm is working again . But he said there is a problem with the unit and offered to replace the set .
(Now I don't have any incoming emails , but I can send?)
I shall send both units back to Vodafone and get the Bold back ( I just have to put up with the battery issue) .
I am sure that BB will resolve the issues , but I cant see this as a viable business device ( fingers to large and typing was frustrating ).
Old 11-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Sorry for your problems. I hope you are the noem

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

sounds like the Storm is a piece of rubbish. I may go to the i phone now!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:04 AM   #4
david_uk

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael12005 View Post
sounds like the Storm is a piece of rubbish. I may go to the i phone now!
Storm isn't rubbish, it's a perfectly respectable alternative to iPhone.

The "key" point is whether a touchscreen is right for you.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
evilblade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20CAAE94
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Hi all,

I have 8820, yesterday I receive Storm.
When i first time type a message it was disaster, but because I'm open minded for "Force" i give myself chance now after 2 days is good. It never will be same like fully keyboard of 8820, but I have iPod Touch and I can say there is no comparison between real and virtual keyboard.
This 2 mm gap hmm i have 2mm if i made a sum of all gaps around screen (maybe even less). The one thing is, speed when you go from landscape to portrait.
This device is a real alternative for iPhone, and at the end i don't like to look like 60% people around who palpate they iPhones.
If you want look fancy you can use plastic surgery you don't need iPhone .

Regards,
Rob
Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
zoltan01

Model: STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_uk View Post
Storm isn't rubbish, it's a perfectly respectable alternative to iPhone.

The "key" point is whether a touchscreen is right for you.
I agree , for me the large scree was the main attraction .I would say that a Otterbox will give a degree of protection to the screen . Why didn't Vodafone keep they BB department/help desk open over the weekend just a day after the release of the Storm is a mystery. Setting up the device wasn't a problem , but there were bound to be some issues .
In all fairness the shop offered to replace the set .
Since yesterday the battery lost 80% power ( was on standby during the night, losing 20% power over 8 hours) , using the functions and generally just getting used to it .
Old 11-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
evilblade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Did you ever hear: "How to format new battery"

Quote:
When the battery is new (the phone is also new, but this is not so important), it has to be "formatted", charged a longer period then the usual (not 2h but 12 or more), and this process should be repeated 3 or 4 times.

Quote:
- I bought new car, and it stops 20 miles from the dealer shop, what should I do? Rubbish BMW's!
- Do you try fill up your tank?

Regards.

PS. I just want to say: I'm not doing this as a part of "Storm Fun Community" or smth like this, i see weakens and advantage of this device. Just want to clear some views, because someone can think "oooo what a peace of s.... I don't buy it I will buy "any other brand". Just be cool and open minded, i remember complains about new BMW`s about Windows 95 then 98 and XP now it's Vista time. And here is the same. And remember there was no software update, and device is from 2 days now on UK's market. How long is iPhone? How many firmware update was till today... I hope you all now will be able to understand my point.

Last edited by evilblade; 11-16-2008 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Because i don't speak English.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
david_uk

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilblade View Post
Did you ever hear: "How to format new battery"
Well, I charged the battery overnight and so far it's performed much better than Bold. And so it should - it's quite a hefty unit, don't drop it on your toe.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
evilblade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Now I'll try to discharge battery to lowest level, so my invisible friend listening some mp3's
My advice:
Don't charge until you see on your screen: Battery drained. Shutting down handheld.
(during formatting process)