Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #41
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BB 850)

Or *accidently* leave the front gate open... OOPPSS...

Think Castro will give them hugs?

Kris
Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #42
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Eh, I don't think the Taliban likes Communists. If I remember my history there was a war between the USSR and the proto Taliban during the Carter and Reagen years. Anyone else remember it?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #43
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Lunk looks like you have this battle front well in hand Ill let you hold it down.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #44
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Lunk looks like you have this battle front well in hand Ill let you hold it down.
Ya... The bleeding hearts will never get it... They'd rather see 1k killed than the person responsible be shot via firing squad... He should be given hugs, candy, and a chance to rehabilitate right? Ya, I agree, rehabilitation via a .229 shell casing....
Old 01-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #45
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I was thinking .50 cal at long distance. that way no one but the other side gets hurt.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #46
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Ya... The bleeding hearts will never get it... They'd rather see 1k killed than the person responsible be shot via firing squad... He should be given hugs, candy, and a chance to rehabilitate right? Ya, I agree, rehabilitation via a .229 shell casing....
I am not a bleeding heart but I still think that Rep Wilson and his cronies should be tried for treason for giving aid and comfort to the proto taliban. The two combatants should have been allowed to kill each other off with minimum interference from the west.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #47
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

From the New York Times (and reported broadly in the general press). It seems a former Guantanomo detainee is now a deputy leader of Al Qaeda's Yememi branch. He was released to Saudi Arabia in 2007. Too bad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/wo...n.html?_r=1&hp
Old 01-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #48
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
From the New York Times (and reported broadly in the general press). It seems a former Guantanomo detainee is now a deputy leader of Al Qaeda's Yememi branch. He was released to Saudi Arabia in 2007. Too bad.

I don't want to push this too strongly, simply because none of us can truly know the causal ordering of this situation, but it would not strike me as impossible that he became Al Qaeda AFTER exposure to Gitmo. Assuming he was unjustly imprisoned (which again, I am not in a position to KNOW but let's assume it for the moment), I would suspect that he could get pretty PO'ed at the USA because of the wonderful experience in Gitmo.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #49
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
I am not a bleeding heart but I still think that Rep Wilson and his cronies should be tried for treason for giving aid and comfort to the proto taliban. The two combatants should have been allowed to kill each other off with minimum interference from the west.
a lesson not learned more recently. wel supplied the Taliban & Saddam during those times. Even supplied a young Osama
Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #50
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
I don't want to push this too strongly, simply because none of us can truly know the causal ordering of this situation, but it would not strike me as impossible that he became Al Qaeda AFTER exposure to Gitmo. Assuming he was unjustly imprisoned (which again, I am not in a position to KNOW but let's assume it for the moment), I would suspect that he could get pretty PO'ed at the USA because of the wonderful experience in Gitmo.
Damn, that's good. Your logic is sound.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #51
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post

Highly doubtful he went from innocent / abused regular dude to terrorist leader that fast..

It does not happen that way...

To me at leat, the logic / argument that he became a terror leader because of treatment at Gitmo is seriously flawed..

One does not go from abiding citizen to terror leader in a matter of months...

My .02

Kris
Old 01-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #52
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post

Highly doubtful he went from innocent / abused regular dude to terrorist leader that fast..

It does not happen that way...

To me at leat, the logic / argument that he became a terror leader because of treatment at Gitmo is seriously flawed..

One does not go from abiding citizen to terror leader in a matter of months...

My .02

Kris
Perhaps. As I stated, I certainly do not know. I don't recall -- did the article make him out to be a leader or a terrorrist?
Old 01-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #53
test54
BlackBerry Master

well there are certainly hardened criminals, why not hardened terrorists.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #54
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

and hardened leaders.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #55
test54
BlackBerry Master

"President Obama's plans to expeditiously determine the fates of about 245 terrorism suspects held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and quickly close the military prison there were set back last week when incoming legal and national security officials -- barred until the inauguration from examining classified material on the detainees -- discovered that there were no comprehensive case files on many of them.

Instead, they found that information on individual prisoners is "scattered throughout the executive branch," a senior administration official said. The executive order Obama signed Thursday orders the prison closed within one year, and a Cabinet-level panel named to review each case separately will have to spend its initial weeks and perhaps months scouring the corners of the federal government in search of relevant material."

"Evidence gathered for military commission trials is in disarray, according to some former officials, who said military lawyers lacked the trial experience to prosecute complex international terrorism cases.

In a court filing this month, Darrel Vandeveld, a former military prosecutor at Guantanamo who asked to be relieved of his duties, said evidence was "strewn throughout the prosecution offices in desk drawers, bookcases packed with vaguely-labeled plastic containers, or even simply piled on the tops of desks."

He said he once accidentally found "crucial physical evidence" that "had been tossed in a locker located at Guantanamo and promptly forgotten."

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

I'm sure they are really getting good info out of the detainees, it just might end up filed away in some unknown storage locker.

Last edited by test54; 01-26-2009 at 04:07 PM..
Old 01-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #56
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I don't believe anything I read in a newpaper anymore other than the ads.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #57
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

I've been hearing the "close gitmo" hoopla for several years now and I have to ask....what in the world is wrong with having Gitmo??? It's a military prison meant to house enemy combatants and appears to do so quite well. What's the problem?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #58
Dawg
No longer Registered.

The liberals dont agree with punishing the guilty
Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #59
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

Maybe they should let them move into their basement....
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #60
test54
BlackBerry Master

dawg, we know you dont trust any media and don't like anything liberal. However McCain & Bush both also favored closing Gitmo.

gadget - how is no trials and plans to just hold people indefinitely "working well"? Its not like they are getting info from these people...
I agree that people need to be punished but if the Army is incapable of trying these people then something needs to change. There are plenty of top notch facilities that can house these prisoners and let the trials begin. Indefinite imprisonment is not a solution - if you want punishment then you have to be able to hold trials.