Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: :(
PIN: Absent :(
Carrier: None :(
Default RIM "developing touchscreen device to rival iPhone"

Please Login to Remove!

PC Pro: News: RIM "developing touchscreen device to rival iPhone"

Quote:
RIM is rumoured to be working on a brand new operating system and handheld device to meet the challenge of the iPhone.

The BlackBerry maker is said to be developing a new 9000 Series platform that will be targeted at the consumer market, according to Carmi Levy, an analyst at AR Communications.

"The 9000 is supposed to be a touchscreen device, very similar in form factor to the iPhone," Levy says in an article for Unstrung. "Which means that it is not an enterprise-friendly device."
Now i think this is complete **** as when I spoke to Mike Lazaridis he was cool on the idea of a touchscreen device. I think they will bring out more "commercial" devices along the lines of the Pearl but I doubt they'd go the whole hog.
But still have the 1 Constant Headache?!?!

Last edited by SimonMac; 11-22-2007 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: No swear filter!
Old 11-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
PC Pro: News: RIM "developing touchscreen device to rival iPhone"

Now i think this is complete **** as when I spoke to Mike Lazaridis he was cool on the idea of a touchscreen device. I think they will bring out more "commercial" devices along the lines of the Pearl but I doubt they'd go the whole hog.
Nokia was anti touch screen as well and guess what, Nokia is doing touchscreens. Never say never. While I like the hardware keyboard, there is a market segment that doesn't need them.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

See what you guys get for running a photoshop...

BlackBerry 9000 whispers in our ear | The Boy Genius Report

Worth noting that the source for the article appears to work for a copyrighting firm. I'm not sure how he would have run into such information other than surfing the regular stuff that everyone does.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
fishkake

Model: 7100x
Carrier: T-Mobile

I hate touch screens... I've had various HTC devices, and not liked any of them.

I work for a company who provide industrial handhelds with Windows CE and Windows Mobile (I won't say which one in case I get accused of spamming!!), all with touchscreens, and a substantial number of our customers ask for the touch screen to be turned off. If the buttons are easy enough to get to, there's no need for it - the original BlackBerry trackwheel was fantastic for this, and although I'm not used to it, the ball mouse on the pearl and others seems pretty good too.

I'm reminded of a line from Jurrassic Park, for some reason... "We spent so long thinking about whether we could, we never stopped to consider whether we should" - touch screens are everywhere now, and in most cases entirely unnecessary.

Thats my opinion. Don't worry, no charge.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkake View Post
I hate touch screens... I've had various HTC devices, and not liked any of them.

I work for a company who provide industrial handhelds with Windows CE and Windows Mobile (I won't say which one in case I get accused of spamming!!), all with touchscreens, and a substantial number of our customers ask for the touch screen to be turned off. If the buttons are easy enough to get to, there's no need for it - the original BlackBerry trackwheel was fantastic for this, and although I'm not used to it, the ball mouse on the pearl and others seems pretty good too.

I'm reminded of a line from Jurrassic Park, for some reason... "We spent so long thinking about whether we could, we never stopped to consider whether we should" - touch screens are everywhere now, and in most cases entirely unnecessary.

The major problem with touch screens, especially Win Mobile touch screens is they really aren't made to be used one handed or without the stylus. Looks like the iphone is more finger friendly. I would hope RIM would go this route with any possible touch screen model they might have in the pipe.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

The biggest issue with current WM touch screens is the lack of 'finger friendlyness'.

-They are sunken into the phone where they should be flush with the body of the phone.

-They are made of soft, vulnerable materials.

The iPhone fixes both those issues as well as introduces an operating system designed for finger interaction. Just as RIM has optimized their OS of scrollwheel and trackball use Apple has optimized theirs for fingers. HTC is leading development into similar optimizations for WM.

Apple has an advantage right now because they started with a clean slate and they employ some very good interface designers. Given time I am confident RIM and the WM developers will be able to follow their lead and develop touch screen that are actually useful for the average consumer.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
nonsequitur

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

any consumer oriented device will be labeled a competitor to the iphone by the industry news media, even if the only thing the two have in common is a gsm radio and a camera.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:31 AM   #8
silentmax

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: starhub

ive been using my iphone for a while now and switching between the 8700 and then to the iphone is a pain especialy when sending sms
Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #9
StarKnight83
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

one of the biggest complaints ive seen of the iphone is the difficulty of using the on screen keyboard - I personally would like to see a touch screen BB that mimics the looks of an iphone and think that a keyboard layout and suretype would fix the text input problems (or at least the majority of them)
Old 12-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon
Default ?

Why would it be news that companies are developing competition for the iPhone? Real news would be that someone is developing something that is a true step forward.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
nedzalife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarKnight83 View Post
one of the biggest complaints ive seen of the iphone is the difficulty of using the on screen keyboard
Agreed, and the iPhone's keyboard probably would have been much more user friendly if they had made it flip sideways to a widescreen mode so that the keys could be larger on the screen. It would also make the phone easier to hold while typing on the touch screen. Trying to be accurate with no tactile response along with tiny on-screen keys make it virtually impossible to be accurate without a lot of practice.

Last edited by nedzalife; 12-21-2007 at 11:04 AM..
Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
fkjr2

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

rim please dont follow apple!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Should be interesting of what happens
Old 12-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
rim please dont follow apple!
Why. RIM will do it better nad everone needs to STOP the PANIC as RIM has no plan to replace our keyboarded devices with a virtual keyboards. They are only going to give you a choice.

Many forget that not too long ago each carrier had only one BB device for it's users to choose from. We now can choose from many in each carrier!

Let RIM proceed and be calm. I trust they know what they are doing better than we do! My RIM stock sure things so!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #15
fkjr2

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Why. RIM will do it better nad everone needs to STOP the PANIC as RIM has no plan to replace our keyboarded devices with a virtual keyboards. They are only going to give you a choice.

Many forget that not too long ago each carrier had only one BB device for it's users to choose from. We now can choose from many in each carrier!

Let RIM proceed and be calm. I trust they know what they are doing better than we do! My RIM stock sure things so!

Suppose your right. Just would hate to lose any of the basic features that make BB's so great. We shall wait and see what happens. I for one will see myself always using RIM after a long battle with other devices/OS's ;)
Old 12-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #16
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

i really doubt a physical keyboard will go anywhere. have you seen the typing tests? blackberry came out easily on top of all smart phones for typing ease of use and accuracy. guess what came in last? the might iphone.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #17
gqstatus05
No longer Registered.

Model: 9500
Carrier: AT&T iPhone 3G User

i think a touchscreen blackberry would be a disaster. People who purchase it, if it's ever to come out will probably end up returning it and going back to traditional ball and wheel. Imagine how hard it will be to compose an email for people who have never done it before by touching a screen. Now if they develop a state of the art way to talk to your device and have it compose an email for you, i applaud them. Kills the purpose if you're in a meeting trying to send an email though. Who knows.. probably going to be made for the younger generation. Hopefully they don't go that route
Old 01-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #18
gqstatus05
No longer Registered.

Model: 9500
Carrier: AT&T iPhone 3G User

this is coming from a 22 year old. I wouldn't even buy it.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
CurvyBerry

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkake View Post

I would hate touch screens too if they were HTC.... no wonder..!

Curvy
Old 01-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #20
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqstatus05 View Post
Imagine how hard it will be to compose an email for people who have never done it before by touching a screen.
What??? Hard to do??? Are you kidding?
Closed Thread