Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Blackberry Q10!! URGENT!

Please Login to Remove!

Where's the switch that doesn't turn on Bedside mode when charging?
I can't find it.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Hmmmm, well, when your screen is locked, you swipe down from the top and the Bedside icon should appear.

It doesn't appear automatically.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #23
The 24
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: KEY 1
PIN: N/A

Awesome!! Thanks for that hrbuckley!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
The 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Where's the switch that doesn't turn on Bedside mode when charging?
I can't find it.
I wish I knew where that was. I hate seeing it while it's charging!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #25
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The bedside mode icon is displayed whenever the device is charging. Whether it is displayed or not you can always pull down from the top of the lock screen to pull the bedside mode shade down.

Bedside mode should never come on automatically. Even if the icon is displayed at the top it doesn't mean bedside mode is enabled. It is ONLY enabled when you slide the shade down. As discussed earlier in the thread you can have it set for no notifications at all or phone calls only.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Oh, and I have the Q10 and the Z10 and love them both. I really like the feel of the Q10 but can't seem to give up the big screen on the Z10.

That said, it was a definite adjustment along with a period of frustration when I first switched. It's so different and many of the features we knew and loved in BBOS were (and some still are) gone. However, you couldn't pay me to go back.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #27
PJD642
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10

What everyone else has said - don't pull the "shade" down with the little bed on it and it won't go into bedside mode. As of now (Verizon Q10, 10.1.0.2038 OS) bedside mode will NOT automatically come on like it used to on the OS 7 phones when plugged into a charger - it has to be done manually. You can toggle "phone calls only" on or off, but in bedside mode those are your two options. No text or email alerts (or anything else, except maybe emergency alerts) in bedside mode. Leave bedside mode off, you get all alerts, even while charging. You can always leave it plugged in and go to "clock", but unfortunately that won't be the nice dim red display.

As for the speed dials, you are correct you can't just hold the "Z" key to call a contact (using "Z" simply as an example) from the home screen. You can, however, set up any of the letter keys to be a one-touch speed dial from the phone dial pad screen. To do so, from the phone home screen swipe down to open the menu tab, select "settings", and then scroll down to "Keypress Smart Dial". Then associate your contact's call number with a specific key on the keypad. Just remember, when using this feature you have to be in the dial pad screen of the phone.

You can also set up a maximum of seven one-touch speed dials for contacts that will appear at the top of the screen when you go into the default phone screen (not the keypad screen, but the tab on the bottom left that the phone always open into). Simply click an open spot, select the contact's number you will want to call, and save it. It will then show a picture of the contact (if you have one saved), their first name and "mobile" or "home" or whatever category the number is assigned.

It's been quite a change for me too, coming from a 9930 but I'm getting the hang of this. Stick with it and I think you'll grow to love BB10. (And FYI, on another forum one of the moderators tweeted about the lack of speed dials from the home screen. BB replied that that feature was coming in a future build (10.2 maybe), so there's hope. Personally, I'd like the ability to switch sound profiles by holding down the "Q" key like I used to do. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
The 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Oh, and I have the Q10 and the Z10 and love them both. I really like the feel of the Q10 but can't seem to give up the big screen on the Z10.

That said, it was a definite adjustment along with a period of frustration when I first switched. It's so different and many of the features we knew and loved in BBOS were (and some still are) gone. However, you couldn't pay me to go back.
Oddly enough these are my sentiments exactly! If someone tried to take my Q10 away there would be a problem! And at the same time I'm going thru the frustration stage as well. Kinda like a good woman. Can't live with em'. And we sure as heck can't live without em'!!

Well said John Clark.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #29
The 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJD642 View Post
What everyone else has said - don't pull the "shade" down with the little bed on it and it won't go into bedside mode. As of now (Verizon Q10, 10.1.0.2038 OS) bedside mode will NOT automatically come on like it used to on the OS 7 phones when plugged into a charger - it has to be done manually. You can toggle "phone calls only" on or off, but in bedside mode those are your two options. No text or email alerts (or anything else, except maybe emergency alerts) in bedside mode. Leave bedside mode off, you get all alerts, even while charging. You can always leave it plugged in and go to "clock", but unfortunately that won't be the nice dim red display.

As for the speed dials, you are correct you can't just hold the "Z" key to call a contact (using "Z" simply as an example) from the home screen. You can, however, set up any of the letter keys to be a one-touch speed dial from the phone dial pad screen. To do so, from the phone home screen swipe down to open the menu tab, select "settings", and then scroll down to "Keypress Smart Dial". Then associate your contact's call number with a specific key on the keypad. Just remember, when using this feature you have to be in the dial pad screen of the phone.

You can also set up a maximum of seven one-touch speed dials for contacts that will appear at the top of the screen when you go into the default phone screen (not the keypad screen, but the tab on the bottom left that the phone always open into). Simply click an open spot, select the contact's number you will want to call, and save it. It will then show a picture of the contact (if you have one saved), their first name and "mobile" or "home" or whatever category the number is assigned.

It's been quite a change for me too, coming from a 9930 but I'm getting the hang of this. Stick with it and I think you'll grow to love BB10. (And FYI, on another forum one of the moderators tweeted about the lack of speed dials from the home screen. BB replied that that feature was coming in a future build (10.2 maybe), so there's hope. Personally, I'd like the ability to switch sound profiles by holding down the "Q" key like I used to do. Fingers crossed.
You are a great freakin' American Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MANNNNNNNN!! This phone is so bad a**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #30
Preroll

Model: Class

Quote:
As for the speed dials, you are correct you can't just hold the "Z" key to call a contact (using "Z" simply as an example) from the home screen. You can, however, set up any of the letter keys to be a one-touch speed dial from the phone dial pad screen.
I don't have this phone yet so I'm very unfamiliar with it. Being that the case, how would you setup a speed dial for voicemail. I used to use the 1 (or W) button on the 9930. Is there a fast way to get to that or would I have to create a voicemail contact and then assign it from the phone dial pad?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Mine came with voicemail already loaded in a speed dial. However, since I have visual voicemail with TMobile I deleted it. If it didn't have it it would be easy to do just as you said. Create a voicemail contact and assign it.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #32
PJD642

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24 View Post
You are a great freakin' American Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MANNNNNNNN!! This phone is so bad a**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
You may be exaggerating somewhat, but you're welcome.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #33
PJD642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preroll View Post
I don't have this phone yet so I'm very unfamiliar with it. Being that the case, how would you setup a speed dial for voicemail. I used to use the 1 (or W) button on the 9930. Is there a fast way to get to that or would I have to create a voicemail contact and then assign it from the phone dial pad?

Thanks.
Exactly what John said right below your original post...from the phone screen, a speed dial button for voice mail is baked into the system, that's why there are only seven spaces showing as available for one-touch buttons (2 rows of 4, 1st one is VM). So all you'd have to do is hit the phone icon, then hit the VM speed dial from the phone home screen. Hopefully when BB implements the true one touch calling they'll bring back the ability to hold down the "1" key and dial....
Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #34
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Quote:
You may be exaggerating somewhat, but you're welcome.
amen....
Closed Thread