Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
dbornack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Context Menu Order Changes?

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry if this topic seems a bit vague, but I don't know how else to title it.

I'm more of the end user than the developer in this issue, but I'm hoping you guys can help anyway.

I installed an app on my BB 8900 for work, called Notify. It's an IMAPS application for my work email.

My question is simple. Can I change the order of the context menus within a program?

I'm used to the default BB messaging, where when I hit the Blackberry button while reading a message, the first highlighted choice is to "Reply". In Notify, the first highlighted choice is to "Read Next Message". When I'm working quickly with my Blackberry, I don't want to have to stop and think about a different context menu. I just want my instincts to work as they always have. Read message, hit Blackberry button, push trackball in, start typing a reply. It's a pain in my a$$.

Does anyone here know how I can change this?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
hippocamp software
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A

you can't do it yourself. the developer could have a little control over this, but it's a tricky business changing the menu location of your ApplicationMenuItem in a native app (as different devices/os builds can have different menu items) so most apps just have their injected menuitems at 0. as for catching a particular action and highlighting the menu for that action - i don't think this is possible (using injected menuitems in native apps).
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

It sounds like this is a different app, not an add on to a native app. In that case you should send your comments to the application supplier, they may be motivated to change it.

<rant>
This is one of my pet peeves. Users get use to an interface provided by a platform be it Windows, Mac, Blackberry Windows Mobile or whatever. Like you they get used to interfacing with it according to that standard. Then a developer comes along and either through ignorance or an attempt to make a prettier interface throw a spanner in front of the user.

What was the biggest complaint agains XP over Win98? The UI changes. Again with Vista.
</rant>
Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
hippocamp software
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A

aah sorry hrbuckley, i didn't read thoroughly enough.

and 10/10 for the rant, i get it from managers who want to abandon the simple but most usable solution that rim created in their ui widgets (that the customer knows well) and replace it with some awful custom field, causes some friction when i stand my ground.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

No problemo hippocamp. You are of course correct about ApplicationMenuItem placement, as I well know :|
Closed Thread