BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
MikesTooLz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: was Verizon 8830 now tmoble curve
Default Verizon Confirms testing of VZ Navigator for Blackberries.

Please Login to Remove!

I sent and email to verizon asking about the 8830 and when will they be enabling the GPS. Here is what I said.

Quote:
I spoke with a verizon representative last month about buying a blackberry device. He showed me the different models avalable. I really like the 8830 the most but stated that I need one that has a GPS device. The rep then told me that the 8830 does in fact have a GPS build inside but it is disable. He said that verizon is planning to enable the GPS in the 8830 sometime at the end of May or the beginning of June. He said I would be able to sign up for something called Verizon Navigator. I went ahead and got the blackberry 8830 with this in mind thinking I could wait a couple weeks for Verizon to turn on the GPS service, but now it is in the middle of June. Please let me know when Verizon plans on enable the GPS and offer Verizon Navigator.

This is the reply I got back.

Quote:
Dear ####### ####,

Good afternoon, #######. My name is Ramania, and it will be my pleasure to assist you with when we plan on enabling the GPS on the Blackberry 8830 and offering VZNavigator. I apologize for any misinformation and understand your concern.

#######, currently, the VZNavigator is a function of our non PDA/non smartphone and Get It Now capable phones. Unfortunately, we do not offer any PDA or smartphones that are Get It Now capable at this time. However, I can advise you that we are testing and working on implementing Get It Now and VZNavigator being a capability of our Blackberry and PDA phones.

VZ Navigator is a downloadable Get It Now application (located under getGOING or the Tools on the Go category) allowing customers to get audible turn-by-turn directions, find nearby points of interest, and map their location on select handsets.

Please be aware that the GPS locator chip, which is present in all wireless phones we currently sell (with the exception of the BlackBerry 6750), is used solely for tracking purposes by Emergency 911 Services and does not function like a typical GPS device.

Verizon Wireless cannot guarantee that you will be systematically located after dialing 911 from your wireless phone. In many places Public Safety still relies on the caller's descriptions to locate those in need. Enhancements to the Public Safety 911 system will make it possible for Public Safety to read your callback number and to estimate your location. However, given the many variables with wireless radio service, no design will be perfect. There are three different phases that the FCC requires for this service. We have listed them below for your convenience:

First: The FCC requires wireless carriers to provide Enhanced 911 call identification capability when requested by each of the approximately 6,000 state/local PSAPs (Public Safety Answering Points) nationwide.

Second: The FCC's Phase I Enhanced 911 rules require wireless carriers to automatically provide PSAP with the telephone number of the 911 caller and the location of the cell site used to originate the 911 call.

Third: Phase II Enhanced 911 rules requires wireless carriers to automatically provide the telephone number of the 911 caller and far more precise location information, within 50 to 100 meters in most cases.

The first two steps have been implemented, however the third step (Phase II) is still in progress. Please note: The deployment of Phase II E911 capability is complicated because it requires improvements to the capabilities of a number of parties -- vendors, wireless carriers, landline carriers and PSAPs -- to succeed. Also, the customer must have a Verizon Wireless GPS handset. Each party has to be absolutely certain that they are capable of supporting the required service enhancement when necessary. Verizon Wireless has devoted significant resources to upgrading its nationwide network to be able to provide Phase II E911 service when requested by Public Safety. Until such time when the PSAPs upgrade their systems, calls made from E911-capable handsets to 911 call centers that are not yet equipped, will still go through as usual. However, the 911 call centers will not be able to read and use the GPS-generated location information and may still need to rely on the caller to identify the location of the emergency.

We appreciate your business. Please contact us at our website for any of your future needs. Again, thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services.

Sincerely,

Ramania
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

Ramania started going an a different direction with her responce but she did indicate that once get it now (VCast) is ready for blackberry, VZ navigator will also work and they are working on getting it done.

You can bet on verizon enabling the GPS once this happens they will want to rake in some more money from VZ Navigator subscriptions.

Last edited by MikesTooLz; 06-14-2007 at 11:44 AM..
Old 06-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
ibmman69
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: 32c04a31
Carrier: Verizon

I am mad about the fact VZW continue to lie about the existance of an internal GPS receiver in the 8830. I want to start an email and phone call campaign to pressure VZW to enable the GPS. They will not pay attention to a petition but may pay attention to continued complaints by angry customers. Anyone interested in helping please pin me.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Since when have they lied about it? Disabling and lying are two entirely different things. IIRC, they're not even currently listing GPS as a feature on their site. Now, if they were that would be misleading.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
ssbands04

Is VZNav a subscription service or do you pay once? For instance, could I just pay for the times that I use it?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbands04 View Post
Is VZNav a subscription service or do you pay once? For instance, could I just pay for the times that I use it?
They have a one time fee of like $9.99 when I used it for my razr and LG the V, or you could by like a 3 day package for like $2.99, but I am sure they will up the price for the smartphone version. It just wouldn't be verizon if they didn't....lol
Old 06-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
ssbands04

$10 for good wouldn't be bad at all..........Wonder if they would just narrow it down to VZNav or if it would allow Google Maps to access the internal GPS too
Old 06-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
tifosiv122
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't know...I had it on my RAZR and everytime I wanted to use it I would get a random error...when I didn't need it, it worked fine. Overall it was a waste of battery, time, and money. It also doesn't help when your on the phone and want to NAVI somewhere.

Erik
Old 06-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #8
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Since when have they lied about it? Disabling and lying are two entirely different things. IIRC, they're not even currently listing GPS as a feature on their site. Now, if they were that would be misleading.
You are correct Takeshi. Verizon Wireless doesn't list the 8830 as having GPS. I surely wish people would do their homework before buying a device. DON'T believe everything you read outside of official channels.

Just because my POS Ford Mustang starts off with a option at the Manufacturer, doesn't mean that it will be supplied by the dealer. Same with phones or anything really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbands04 View Post
$10 for good wouldn't be bad at all..........Wonder if they would just narrow it down to VZNav or if it would allow Google Maps to access the internal GPS too
I don't think you understand. 9.99 PER month OR a ONE TIME use fee of 2.99. In other words, you use it 5 times in a month on SEPERATE OCCASIONS and you will pay almost 20 bucks EXTRA on top of your bill. Best to get the 9.99 feature if you need it.

Last edited by RoC1909; 06-15-2007 at 11:40 PM..
Old 06-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
MikesTooLz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just an update for you guys.

I called verizon on the phone this morning and asked when they would be enabling the gps in the 8830.

The guy put me on hold to do some research and when he came back he said. currently none of our pda or blackberry devices have "get it now" I is currently in the testing stages and should be avalable for all the pda and blackberry devices sometime withing the next 6 months.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
DrRoger

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp1975 View Post
They have a one time fee of like $9.99 when I used it for my razr and LG the V, or you could by like a 3 day package for like $2.99, but I am sure they will up the price for the smartphone version. It just wouldn't be verizon if they didn't....lol
Nope...its $9.99 A MONTH for VZNavigator, or $2.99 for 24 hours. I tried the 24 hour thing and it worked beautifully, and got us on the right roads in rural North Carolina.
Roger

A sales rep called customer service to check on the status of GPS on the 8830. She said that Google maps will be GPS enabled but won't have turn by turn directions like VZNav. None of the Treos are actually GPS enabled, so the 8830 might be a big step ahead, aside from being a global phone.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
Sodiumlake

For what it is worth Google maps and Blackberry maps work great with a bluetooth puk, turn by turn directions with both, just like it should be with the built in GPS but no "tracking" via AGPS.
I am just going to use my puk and still be much more haapy with this than I ever was with any of my Treo's.

Now if someone can tell me how to keep the screen on while navigating that would be a great help!!

Last edited by Sodiumlake; 06-16-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Old 06-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
BrianW

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Is there a Bluetooth Puk for VZW blackberries? If so were can I find one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodiumlake View Post
For what it is worth Google maps and Blackberry maps work great with a bluetooth puk, turn by turn directions with both, just like it should be with the built in GPS but no "tracking" via AGPS.
I am just going to use my puk and still be much more haapy with this than I ever was with any of my Treo's.

Now if someone can tell me how to keep the screen on while navigating that would be a great help!!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #13
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: ?

Brian, any bluetooth puck should work for the 8830. Bluetooth is a standard. I am currently using a Holux GPSlim 236, but you really should be able to use any.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesTooLz View Post
I sent and email to verizon asking about the 8830 and when will they be enabling the GPS. Here is what I said.

This is the reply I got back.

Ramania started going an a different direction with her responce but she did indicate that once get it now (VCast) is ready for blackberry, VZ navigator will also work and they are working on getting it done.

You can bet on verizon enabling the GPS once this happens they will want to rake in some more money from VZ Navigator subscriptions.

they always say "it will be coming out..." etc. did you know they said there would be an update for the LG VX9800 that would allow audio attachments to be saved as ringtones. did that ever happen?...NO

verizon lies to its customers and that's a fact. i wouldn't trust anything that a robotic CSR emails to you from a pre-made list of responses over in his computer data base. take matters into your own hands and hack. go onto howardforums.com and see what other people are doing about the issue. i myself have hacked my phone and i can get free VZW apps, even subscription ones. when they come out with a new version for the app, i have to re-do the process, but it's worth having FREE VZ NAVIGATOR.

i wouldn't expect verizon to come out with a firm ware enabling GPS on the 8830 anytime soon.

fyi...verizon had a class action suit against them on their sneaky bluetooth stunt...it was settled and participants in the suit were allowed to cancel their service early, or receive credits on their account etc. HOWEVER, the court did not make verizon unlock FULL bluetooth capability. i think the manufacturer's should band together and fight this outragious BULLSH*T (excuse my really rusty french)
Old 06-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #15
MikesTooLz
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just saw a post on the crackberry forums by a verizon employee saying that they are in fact working on getting the vznavigator working on PDA's and blackberries. He says there is not real date for when it will be ready but it should be some time this summer. He also said one of the first devices that will be compatable is the 8830.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #16
vongillern
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Spoke with our VZW Enterprise Rep...

He indicated to us that VZNavigator for the 8830 should be coming out in the mid-August timeframe. He actually had it on a device (not 8830) and it seemed like it worked pretty well.

He did however, indicate VZNavigator works on triangulation from cell towers, rather than GPS. What this tells me is that VZW is not enabling the GPS capabilities of the 8830, but providing a proprietary app that works from the towers. I'm wondering if they're worried about the GPS capability being hacked so it will work with other non-Verizon GPS apps.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #17
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by vongillern View Post
He indicated to us that VZNavigator for the 8830 should be coming out in the mid-August timeframe. He actually had it on a device (not 8830) and it seemed like it worked pretty well.

He did however, indicate VZNavigator works on triangulation from cell towers, rather than GPS. What this tells me is that VZW is not enabling the GPS capabilities of the 8830, but providing a proprietary app that works from the towers. I'm wondering if they're worried about the GPS capability being hacked so it will work with other non-Verizon GPS apps.
This is BS as usual. Please inform your rep that there's a lot of mad people out there that want our native GPS to work.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #18
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
This is BS as usual. Please inform your rep that there's a lot of mad people out there that want our native GPS to work.
alot? I only count a handful including ppl who arent even on verizon
Old 07-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #19
BFEINZIMER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoC1909 View Post
You are correct Takeshi. Verizon Wireless doesn't list the 8830 as having GPS. I surely wish people would do their homework before buying a device. DON'T believe everything you read outside of official channels.

Actually, if you look in the VZConnect I believe, the magazine that was published with Justin Timberlake on the cover right before the 8830 was released to the general public, there were 4 bullets outlying major features of the 8830, when they published this someone F'ed up and GPS was published in big fat bold letters.

So, please, do your homework. I'll put a scanned image when I get home from work today. I really hope VZW gets hit with another class action from this BS...I was involved in the v710 BT and that was another classic case of VZW BS.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #20
JGrauman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
alot? I only count a handful including ppl who arent even on verizon
??? count again
Closed Thread