Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
TheNumber

Model: 8100
Carrier: VodaFone
Default Moving the BES

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

Can someone help identify if this is correct.

I've installed BES 4.0.7.16 on new hardware BES02, this is inline with our current version on the active BES server BES01.

*NB the services have not been started on the new server as we only have 1 SRP.

I've exported the database of the active server (SQL 2000) to the new server (SQL 2005).

Now that the Database is on the new server in the BES manager it shows a capture of the old server, this is fine except the server name is still the old one. Is there way to correct this or will BES update itself once the old server services are stopped and the services on the new one started?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Moved to BES Admin Corner. You'll get much better answers over here
Old 07-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

Is BES01 and BES02 server or blackberry name? You'd need to use the same Blackberry server name which is in your case BES01.
Stop all services on current BES01. Ont the new one and go (on new BES) to All Programs> Blackberry Enterprise Server > Blackberry Server Configuration> Database Conectivity Tab > Change database ... Start services after that on new one or reboot.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

When you "Move the BES" this is called a Knife-Edge Cutover. the main thing to remember is that you have to keep the BlackBerry server name the excact same durning the install. So if you want to move the BES01 to new hardware when you install BES on the new hardware you need to change the BlackBerry Server name to BES01. That way you can restore the DB and you should be all good. If you do a few searches for Knife-Edge Cutover you will find what you are looking for.

My BlackBerry GPS Golf Application | Mileage Calculator
Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
TheNumber

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I found this article. I've renamed the old server name in the server config table to the new one but haven't started the services... Does anyone have any articles or experience with this.
xxx.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/64247-using-sql-tables-rename-bes-server.html.

Presuming I fire head and stop the services on the Old server and start the up the new one. How easy would it be to roll back to the old server If I stop the services on the new and restart the old?

The other wquestion would the carrier network lock my SRP or would it be ok as long as both aren't taking at the same time?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

When you launch the BES Manager on BES01, what does the server name show as? BES01? This is the BES Server Name.

This value will not change when you go from hardware BES01 to hardware BES02. YOU CANNOT CHANGE THIS VALUE WHEN YOU DO THE MIGRATION / INSTALL. In fact, it must remain exactly the same for the knife-edge cutover to work.

That article is in case you perform the install and type in the incorrect name ... which you may have done, but has yet to be determined I think.

Quote:
Presuming I fire head and stop the services on the Old server and start the up the new one. How easy would it be to roll back to the old server If I stop the services on the new and restart the old?
Making sure both servers are pointing to the same database, as simple as stopping / starting the services.

Quote:
The other question would the carrier network lock my SRP or would it be ok as long as both aren't taking at the same time?
Carriers don't lock SRPs, RIM does. As long as only 1 server is active using the SRP at any given time, you're fine.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
TheNumber

Hi Hdawg,

Server 1 is active and its name is BES01 and in the BES Manager it shows BES01.
Server 2 is not active (services stopped) its name is BES02 and in the BES Manager it shows BES02. Orginally prior to me changing the Name within the SQl Sever_Config table it dispalyed BES01.

I think at this point I'll try migrating over to the new server with the altered DB, if it fails or hits issues then the roll back should be quite easy. will post my feedback.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
shuman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

The BES server name has to be the same if you are using the same DB file. If for some reason it doesn't work, you can always restart the services on the old server and reinstall BES on the new server with the correct name. Why did you change the name to BES02 for the new server?
Old 07-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Maybe he did not understand that part, seems like a common mistake thats being made.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Also the BES server name is also stored in the mailbox within Exchange for every BES users... It should never be renamed it is always best to uninstall/reinstall. If you mess something up you might have to wipe each device and re-activate them. Never fun!

My BlackBerry GPS Golf Application | Mileage Calculator
Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

So ... what happened?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #12
TheNumber

Nothing yet plan to perform the change tomorrow.

The inital issue came into light as we had to consolidate services onto a single server, i.e. Symantec AV, WSUS, WDS and now BES. The problem being the server will have to go through a lot of work for me to rename it back to the same as the orginal BES server... Would the easier solution be to have the 2 BES servers with seperate SRP's running side by side (x2 Database's)?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #13
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

The solution is to either perfom a phased migration or a knife-edge cutover. What you've been describing about doing is neither, and won't work.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 AM   #14
TheNumber

I'll try the Phased migration path, thanks for you help.
Closed Thread