Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
arell12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Default Upgrade questions

Please Login to Remove!

We have been running BES Small Business Edition for about a year now. It started with 1 user and then grew. The company did not want to make the committment to go the Full BES but from my understanding this is just a licanse key that needs to be installed. We are now at 13 users (max for this SBE is 15?) and my supervisor has just sent me the link for the new key which has 20 users and includes the downlaod to the 4.1.5 version. Currently we are running 4.1.4.26. because when we started we did not have a dedicated server for this it was installed on the Exchange 2003 server. We have since then upgraded to exchange 2007 and that is again on its own server so I am left with the old Exchange server that is running the BES.

the new key has a new SPR ID and SRP authentication Key along with the CAL authentication key? Where do I update the SRP keys?

I was thinking of reinstalling the OS to clear up the old Exchange 2003 informatin that is still on it and installing BES 4.1.5 and adding the keys from SBE and then adding the new key for the 20 users and license it for the full version. If I were to go this route can is there a way to import the users back into the new BES without them having to do the enterprise activation again? I understand that there would be downtime for them between rebuilds but I would not want them to have to re activate again and loose information.

I could also just install the service pack and then upgrade the license and there would be next to no downtime but then I still have all that old exchange software on the computer.

Any ideas on this? I am just trying to lay out a good path to upgrade.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
shuman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

you can definitely reload the os and then install BES, but you have to backup the current db, then reinstall the current version of BES once you are done with the os. then restore the db files and then upgrade to 4.1.5. when you are installing BES it will ask you for the SRK and license keys. If you restore the old db files to the new server then you dont't have to reactivate the users.
if you don't want to resintall the os, just uninstall exchange, but make sure to have system manager installed oin the BES.
Closed Thread