BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Do your Unlocked Storm have EDGE problems??
Yep, it sure does! 16 72.73%
Nope, it is working great and BBSwany is crazy! 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk
Question Anyone with an Unlocked 9530.. Are you having edge to EDGE problems?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm just trying to gauge this. This is my third Storm and I can never get a solid EDGE signal. It will be EDGE until I register my BB and then it goes to edge and will go back and forth to EDGE. Just wondering who else has this problem. I highly doubt I got three defective Storms in a row.

P.S. To those having issues, is the ESN registered with Verizon in addition to using it on a different network?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I think you will find most of us that issue to some extent. I have since the beginning of my use on EDGE on ATT.

Some of the radio code in the OS beta releases seems to be better than other beta releases. For instance, .90 was good.

My experience has been than on most reboots of the device, EDGE does not capture to quickly, but after a couple of times turning off the network and back on, it will register with EDGE pretty solid and stay that way well, with very little wavering to 'edge'.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks for the input JSanders! .85 was a solid OS for reception but every build after that has been spotty for me. I tried building a hybrid OS with .85 and .114 but it wouldn't load onto the device. Oh well, maybe RIM will bring back better radio codecs in later builds now that the device is running alot faster.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You'll see in this section some reference to and threads about Sith's hybrid he developed for this purpose. You might be better of using one of his.

They are pretty simple to create. From the GOOD OS version, copy the file in the CDMA folder.

On the bad OS, open that CDMA folder, delete the radio code file and paste the good one.

Reload the OS to the device.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
You'll see in this section some reference to and threads about Sith's hybrid he developed for this purpose. You might be better of using one of his.

They are pretty simple to create. From the GOOD OS version, copy the file in the CDMA folder.

On the bad OS, open that CDMA folder, delete the radio code file and paste the good one.

Reload the OS to the device.
Yep. That's exactly what I did but kept on receiving App Error 523 and according to Sith, it had to do with a bad radio codec. So his thoughts were that it was too old to load onto a later build. Which was no fun because I would love to have the functionality of .114 with the reception of .85 or .90.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

i bought mine new, then unlocked it, so never used the device on verizon. followed crackberry instructions to get it running on tmo....so far no issues with reception.

the .76 OS is a little bit slow, but that doesn't bother me too much
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
thekoolninja

PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

Wirelessly posted

.109 will keep EDGE very stable unless you try to email configure, go on media net, or use some apps. However it is very stable otherwise.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
JouerBB

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I'm curious, has anybody used the browser on the Storm with minimal problems? I always find the phone switching to an edge connection from EDGE, like what ninja said. But I'd like to know how others are experiencing using the data network on the Storm. I just downloaded the newer platform .113 (which was thought to be an 'official' release, but is probably leaked anyways) from crackberry.com and the data network seems a bit more tolerable than before. Now I can actually pull up the home screen and simple links from home (after some time anyways), rather than waiting 5 minutes for the page to partially pull up or having the phone tell me I'm stupid.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
yumif

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

How can I get 3G on 114 OS with Rogers :(
Old 03-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
starwatcher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Rogers
Unhappy

My phone came with .75 straight from Verizon. Never used on Verizon. Unlocked right away and connected to Rogers. No radio issues at all. EDGE connection right away and always stayed on.

But as most users here know, .75 had its other issues, so . . . .

I started the leaked OS upgrade process. Each time wiping my BB completely then loading the new OS. Ever since .75 my phone has had EDGE problems. The .90 radio file has been the best of the worst. But as everyone knows, it still causes problems.

1. 35% of the time on a reboot I have to load and unload the mobile network connection. This usually solves the problem, but . . .
2. 20% of the time, on a reboot I sometimes have to reboot twice. I once had to reboot 3 times.
3. A few times a day I look at my BB and it is only at GPRS. Recovers quickly once I see it, but not sure how long it was on GPRS.
4. I do notice it goes to GPRS for 5 seconds after most phone calls though.

Even though the BB is much more responsive then my Pearl 8100. Almost never see the hour glass (or equivelent) while on my Pearl I spent half my time looking at it. I find that the web takes longer on the Storm then on my Pearl. I know they are both EDGE, but I was under the impression the Storm would be at least faster not slower.

The EDGE stays on when browsing, but it just seems to take forever to connect and load the first page when the browser first comes up.

Anyway, I would love for RIM to take its responsibility for its International CDMA/GSM capable phone and fix this EDGE problem once and for all.
Blackberry Storm
Blackberry Pearl
Old 03-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
b3n_asian_freak
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: It changes so often....
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoolninja View Post
Wirelessly posted

.109 will keep EDGE very stable unless you try to email configure, go on media net, or use some apps. However it is very stable otherwise.
This is what I experience with an Unlocked Storm on T-Mobile. EDGE stays solid until I tried to mess up with those links from service provider (T-Mobile). They don't like each other and my EDGE went to 'edge' (damn!)

It frustrated me first time I got the Storm, never got the EDGE, but for couple weeks now, it stays pretty solid...

I applied a fix that I saw 'disable APN', and loaded the Hybrid from Crackberry. (V1, hasnt got time to try V2 yet)

So right now, my EDGE stays solid, don't know because of restarting or APN setting...

Anyway, thanks to QuickPull (it's ok for me, I know a lot of ppl have problem with it) or similar applications, EDGE will get back in a couple min if something happens.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
WozniakMac
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 305E3014
Carrier: AT&T

I have tried everything, but I found that the only time mine does it is when I try to open Media Net Browser. Otherwise, I am fine opening other data programs. I am using the leaked version of .110 on a Verizon 9530 on the ATT Network.
BlackBerry 8100c - Cingular
BlackBerry 7130e - Alltel
Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumif View Post
How can I get 3G on 114 OS with Rogers :(
You can't. The 9530 does not have the 3G bands for Rogers. You will have to wait for the 9520.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
th1nm1nt

PIN: 3056FAD6
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I didn't read all the replies to this thread, but wanted to share my success. This is my third device on T-Mobile USA that doesn't belong. Everytime I get a new phone (my Blackberry is just a week old now), I get it on the T-Mobile voice network. Then I dial 611, and get to Customer Service. I always ask for the "Unsupported Device" department. There is a group available to you that will troubleshoot your device, send *.exe files to your phone, and get it up and running. I never deal with Beta's or altered files on my device. T-Mobile's Unsupported Device department has never had an issue getting any one of my devices fully compatable with their network.

May want to give them a try...my device works 100% with T-Mobile USA. I'm a converted/happy Blackberry user.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
thuggdogg2

Carrier: Digicel

Can anyone please help me. i was trying to setup my email on 9500, when this (app error 523) came up and froze
Closed Thread