Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
Obsidiank
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default BB 8700C Case Review, Word About Build Quality, Question about BES

Please Login to Remove!

First the good stuff. Got this case at one of the kiosks in the mall. It's made by bytech and fits really well. It's generic and I don't have a model number but I think bytech only makes a few bb cases. I like the open design and even though the corners are exposed, there is enough material to protect the corners. Here are some pics.

About build quality...I am on my third bb. The first suffered from reboot freeze issues. The second has a stuck M/. key and didn't just have dust under the screen, it has glitter...gold glitter. What's up with that? My current one isn't perfect either...the LCD color temp is warm and not as bright as the other two. If you look at the picture, you can see the the middle bb (my first) is much brighter and whiter than the rest. This is not just lighting..its the LCD. So overall, I would say build quality varies all over the plus...dont' know what's up. I would send them all back and stick with my razr...if I didn't love the BB so much in terms of functionality.

Finally, question about BES and TCP settings. My TCP settings keep getting deleted and I have to reinput it. Anyone else on BES have this problem, I remember someone mentioning this but I can't find the thread.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
MegaBit
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I think build quality is definitely coming to be questioned and your particular case highlights some of the reported issues-- except the screen color temp. I know they can vary a lot with CCFL illumination but LEDs should be a slam dunk for repeatability. They must have alternate suppliers for the white LEDs and did not qualify them properly, throwing more questions into the build quality topic.

The case is ok- I'm not a fan of those leather-covered metal clips that bend when you need to shove them over a thicker belt and there is no hook on the bottom of the clip to prevent accidental creep up and off the surface it's attached to.
Closed Thread